How to make the game slower?

labellavienna

Warlord
I loved how in Civ5 every game felt like it takes a million years to finish. In Civ6 even with the standard speed, my games are finished in a day =\ (single player)....is there a way to extend the game so i can continue playing for as long as possible? Does a larger map help? (I play on standard map)

Marathon speed and a large map would be up your alley. I personally use a better paced mod called "Zees Properly Timed Eras", and I cut construction costs in 3. So it's Marathon with standard build costs.

Does a larger map help?
The bigger the map, the more cities you can have and the more City States you'll meet - which means more science and culture, and more ability for you to zip right along to the end. However, it also means more micro management, so the physical duration of time is longer even if the eras are the same or shorter in # of turns.
Sadly, epic/marathon seem to scale everything the same, so you might want to find a mod on the workshop to scale tech costs up, which are the main culprit.

As a player you can of course simply build fewer campus/theaters and slow down your win, if you find you just snowball really fast every game.

How much time to play do you have if you finish a standard size, standard speed game in a single day? I'm quite liberal with the use of my time, and yet such games take days for me.

Anyway, an obvious thing is to try the other two speeds slower than standard, Epic and Marathon. I find Marathon unplayable because everything takes so looong to build, but many people enjoy it so maybe you would too? Epic is OK.

And yes, games on larger maps usually take longer because it is harder to satisfy most victory conditions quickly with more competition, and the time to process turns is longer because more is going on. And there is the time-consuming micro-management mentioned by Sostratus.

Playing on an older computer will really slow the game down. :D

Seriously, though, I usually play on Epic, and I also use the same mod @Elhoim mentioned. I like to play on Huge maps, which I guess could impact the length of the game. You could also disable all of the Victory Conditions and play all the way through to a Score Victory. I do that sometimes, just to have a game where the later eras matter (if I don't do that, I usually win or lose long before the Information Era).

I just want to enjoy the units longer, seems like as soon as i create a new unit the defenses have surpassed it. I want to slow down tech advancement. Enjoy catapults and siege machines before they are obsolete.

I know! Some of the units become redundant too quick...I really love submarines in general and they feel useless in Civ6 =\....but then the "future tech" units lasts way too long.

Last edited:
Try not to build a campus as the first district in every city. I know it's optimal strategy, but you can play perfectly well without doing it, and I believe it's the intention of the developers that district development should be more varied. This will slow down your game progression. Of course you may not be able to survive on Deity difficulty, but it's perfectly doable (and winnable) on difficulties up to and including Immortal.

Last edited:
Try not to build a campus as the first district in every city. I know it's optimal strategy, but you can play perfectly well without doing it, and I believe it's the intention of the developers that district development should be more varied. This will slow down your tech progression. Of course you may not be able to survive on Deity difficulty, but it's perfectly doable (and winnable) on difficulties up to and including Immortal.

Agreed. I generally try to stop at 3. It's not perfect, but it does slow time down a little, and certainly forces you to be more considerate about what you research and when.

I just want to enjoy the units longer, seems like as soon as i create a new unit the defenses have surpassed it. I want to slow down tech advancement. Enjoy catapults and siege machines before they are obsolete.
I know! Some of the units become redundant too quick...I really love submarines in general and they feel useless in Civ6 =\....but then the "future tech" units lasts way too long.
That's partly a function of game-turn length and map size. Playing on a smaller map should help because units' travel speeds are not adjusted for the size of the map or the scale of the turns. I like to play on Huge maps, though, so I usually play Epic or Marathon (although on Marathon I find myself pressing Enter and waiting a lot - pick your poison, I guess).

Guys, what are your suggestions for mods which deal with pacing and tweaking it to make it more sensible, particularly the turn:year ratio in relation to general scientific advancement?

Zee's Properly Timed Eras has been mentioned, yet it hasn't been updated in months and some people question its full functionality in recent versions.

Then I found 8 Ages of Pace, which was abandoned by its original creator but later picked up by someone else. It appears to be less outdated, but perhaps not updated enough.

Beyond overhauling pacing to have turns, years, eras and techs more in line, I'm interested in ramping up unit production on Epic/Marathon so to make warfare more dynamic and eventful. Ideally without going overboard (I play on King). While the AI still has coordination issues, it tends to do better with more units at its disposal, and the problem is that by default, it only has those numbers in the overture of the war (mainly if it happened on their terms). Once the army's back is broken, it becomes a trickle of units and mostly a game of tearing down walls.

EDIT: Would adding the following line to Zee's Properly Timed Eras' main SQL file effectively halve military unit costs?
Code:
UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost*0.5 WHERE NOT FormationClass = 'FORMATION_CLASS_CIVILIAN';

Bit inexperienced with the language, but this beats making far more changes across Units.xml

Maybe 0.66 would be more sensible, particularly taking into account the policy cards which halve unit costs again.

Last edited:
Guys, what are your suggestions for mods which deal with pacing and tweaking it to make it more sensible, particularly the turn:year ratio in relation to general scientific advancement?

Zee's Properly Timed Eras has been mentioned, yet it hasn't been updated in months and some people question its full functionality in recent versions.

Then I found 8 Ages of Pace, which was abandoned by its original creator but later picked up by someone else. It appears to be less outdated, but perhaps not updated enough.

Beyond overhauling pacing to have turns, years, eras and techs more in line, I'm interested in ramping up unit production on Epic/Marathon so to make warfare more dynamic and eventful. Ideally without going overboard (I play on King). While the AI still has coordination issues, it tends to do better with more units at its disposal, and the problem is that by default, it only has those numbers in the overture of the war (mainly if it happened on their terms). Once the army's back is broken, it becomes a trickle of units and mostly a game of tearing down walls.

EDIT: Would adding the following line to Zee's Properly Timed Eras' main SQL file effectively halve military unit costs?
Code:
UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost*0.5 WHERE NOT FormationClass = 'FORMATION_CLASS_CIVILIAN';

Bit inexperienced with the language, but this beats making far more changes across Units.xml

Maybe 0.66 would be more sensible, particularly taking into account the policy cards which halve unit costs again.

What? Doesn't this change encourage you to rush using archers and ignore all other things every game?

What? Doesn't this change encourage you to rush using archers and ignore all other things every game?
:lol:

I'm not that kind of player. I like war but not as a direct means to win the game. I prefer Cultural/Scientific victories close to the turn limit.

I also favour the mid-range difficulties since the higher ones accelerate the pace of the game and, from my perspective, twist its nature to something else. Something more mechanical and less immersive.

As for the AI doing better in greater numbers, well, I'm not all that convinced anymore. Just saw a largely helpless Kabul surrounded by a bunch of hostile India's Modern Armor Armies, and they wouldn't dare advance on the city. Presumably for fear of getting (barely) dented by its 70-something strength defenses in the initial couple of attacks. :sad:

Code:

I have the sql file open and there's nothing there regarding units.

This was updated a month ago if I recall well and it was because another guy and me asked for it. Flooding was taking way too long and games were finishing without global warming most of the time. The modder read us and updated it the next week so the mod is still pretty much alive.

Also is the one I use and recommend.

8 Ages of Pace

I'm using the current version, which is updated for GS.

I don't really know if it makes a difference. Game speed still feels off to me, but it's sort of "okay".

I have the sql file open and there's nothing there regarding units.
I know. My question was whether that line, which I came up with myself, would do the trick if added to the file.

Might work best in combination with Zee's Distance Is A Good Thing (increased minimum city spacing mod,) though. My current Large/Epic stint with Australia is well into the Information Era, the map looks Civ3-like, city-wise and Phoenicia's urban ocean has enough production to maintain a fairly steady stream, not a trickle, of Armies (mostly Modern Armor and some Modern AT) towards me.

There were more concerted amphibious invasion attempts on my homeland, which is good, but they were mostly intercepted at sea because Dido is barely devoting resources to her naval forces. Well, and AI airpower is unfortunately nowhere to be seen. At all. I've yet to see even a single AI Aerodrome (or anti-air). Therefore my Jet Bombers remain unopposed.

I do love the eureka's and inspirations; but if they're dropped in Civ VII to allow for more consistent pacing I wouldn't mind that. It feels to me like games in both V & VI are faster than IV was where (on marathon) it could take 80 hours to crank out a win.

Top Bottom