How to OCC deity?

Fish Man

Emperor
I've heard some people like @Pedro78 say that they've achieved science victories in the 1500s AD with OCC deity. No offense but that sounds pretty insane...how do you even tech that fast with one city, and build all SS parts in time? Additionally, what speed is it on, and what map scripts (if any) do you guys use? I would also love a pointer to a playthrough which demonstrates this, if there are any available.

Haha I was talking about the late 1700s, not 1500s :lol:

Winning OCC deity space colony in the 1500s is certainly doable, but you really need optimal conditions and high level play to get this kind of date. Like a really strong start with stone + double food + commerce and a map with exclusively high-peaceweight techers.

I'd point you towards the NC 160 Gandhi game, which is really cooked for OCC. With this kind of map it isn't very hard to land in the late 1700s - early 1800s. Someone on the thread (I don't remember who) did a YT walkthrough of this map on Imm/OCC, this should already give you an idea of how to handle this kind of game.

I'm very familiar with OCC, but when you have stone building the Mids + NE in your capital and settling all the scientists usually does the trick to get a fairly early space win when you have a good enough start (at least double food, some commerce makes it better).

Edit : Oh and I was talking about normal speed. Not sure how changing speed would affect this, maybe the AI techs a bit faster on marathon?

The fastest deity/standard/normal speed space victory in the HoF tables is a 1570 AD OCC game. The game used the Permanent Alliances option. Befriend the strongest AI and form an alliance with them, then build the space ship together. I've never tried it myself, but I've understood it's a very viable option for easy deity wins. Often in HoF deity Challenges or Gauntlets I've seen players who normally wouldn't play at that level tackle the games with OCC/PA games. OCC/PA can also work well for domination. There are also some risks involved if you try to use Permanent Alliances to head for space. Your AI buddy might decide to build spaceship parts in weak cities, which can delay your launch.

Back in the days I also got my first ever deity win playing OCC (without Permanent Alliances enabled). That was a UN victory. It's a good way to practice high level diplomacy and tech trading. When you play OCC you eliminate distractions like expansion and army buildup, and can focus only on your single city and dealing with the AI. Of course you need a pretty decent starting location to be able to build UN before anyone else.

@Seraiel had a video with a UN OCC victory on Deity, but it looks like he deleted his channel.

Maybe I should give it a shot and do one, since right now there's only that Immortal OCC (NC 160, as said before) on YT, no deity, and I really enjoy OCC. I would have to cook a map because with random leaders I would probably get Genghis as a neighbor a hundred times before I get a proper chance. Or maybe I could just use the same NC 160, and do UN instead of science, for a change. Do you guys think this would be interesting?

@Seraiel had a video with a UN OCC victory on Deity, but it looks like he deleted his channel.

Maybe I should give it a shot and do one, since right now there's only that Immortal OCC (NC 160, as said before) on YT, no deity, and I really enjoy OCC. I would have to cook a map because with random leaders I would probably get Genghis as a neighbor a hundred times before I get a proper chance. Or maybe I could just use the same NC 160, and do UN instead of science, for a change. Do you guys think this would be interesting?

Hmm...I guess. And on the topic of @Seraiel: he seems to have just vanished off the face of the earth a few months ago. Anyone know what happened to him? Not trying to be a creep; just genuinely curious.

I tried that NC 160 game on OCC and Diety.. tried like 5-6 times but diety.. it gets really hard..

I worker steal from darius.. and I manage to oracle byro.. get mids and all other cool wonders.. ToA SH.. MoM Glib.. NE etc..(awoid GW.. dont like to contaminate my GP pool with spy's.. 1-.. or even 2 is ok.. but 3...4 is really bad.) With "optimal play" I'm still like 10-15 turns short on lib Biology (which i recon is a majore thing getting)

And even with a good Biology date.. i still feel like the Ai's just catches up.. so fast..

One thing that i have not tried to much.. out of fear for serious retributions.. is to get the wars going lowering the tech trading etc.... anyone have any insight on that here?
Another thing.. is maybe to turn of tech trading.. but that feels like cheating..

Anyways.. really fun! i consider a OCC like a minigame within the game.. really cool fun! :)

I worker steal from darius..
:eek::eek::eek:
It's deity OCC, you better get Darius to pleased so he doesen't attack you ! I think it's possible to lib Biology here in something like 600AD iirc, but you have to be very careful and efficient with tech trading. Then build the Nat Park and forest preserves everywhere. Pre-workshop everything and tech to space. Ofc it's easier said than done :lol:

yeah I was really afraid of it aswell.. but.. the upside of haveing one or two extra workers earlygame.. is so huge.. and it usually no problem to get him to pleased even after a DoW.. I Have a immortal try now.. where i have stolen 2 workers from him.. and peaced.. shared religion etc.. and he is at pleased again :) Hehe yeah.. def. easier said than done.. but possible.. hm it must be.. trying to be a little more aggressive now.. I guess get GLiB fast.. and bulb philo is important.. and maybe put a bulb into edu..

I almost don't do any tech trading.. partly because I don't really need stuff like.. alpha.. currency.. etc before late (ready for philo bulb) but mostly to slow them down.. I start tech trading to pick up construction.. and engineering when i need them to start researching Chemistry..

I think i have the early game under control.. the mid-game might have a lot of improvements.. and late-game there is definitely a lot of stuff that can be improved.

The biggest one i think.. is what to tech after biology? I have tried.. steel... and going straight for superconductors.. and then computers... both seems kind of slow..
But it might be smarter to go for steam power.. get a levee up is a big improvement... factories not so much... physics is nice.. hm..

There is still a lot of testing.. but i have found out that Skipping the Statue of liberty.. because.. who have 1500 hammers to spare... and it only gives 1 extra dude.

After Biology I think beelining the Internet makes sense. Not sure the GLib is really good here (unless you can trade for marble). What I did was tech Ag - Masonry and build Mids, then go for the Oracle and ideally Oracle Philo, then switch into caste + Pacifism and go for Oxford. Then go for Lib -> Biology. Your neighbours are pretty easy to get to friendly, especially Hammy, so tech trading isnt a bottleneck either. But you definitely shouldn't DoW Darius. Just go double worker from the start and you basically have enough workers until Sci Meth (Forest preserves). Ofc the Statue of Liberty is useless here (it will take AGES to pay back).

Hm.. interesting.. oracle philo.. but..

Spoiler random thoughts about priest and SH :
The early priest from SH really helps! Settled priest help with hammers and gold.. and when you get the Ang Wat it makes some decent production.. but yeah.. hm maybe I should just rethink the whole thing..

yeah.. skipping GLib.. makes some sense if you do that route.. hm.. Intresting..! Might make another attempt at that later..

So far.. my Immortal game.. Got biology @ 860 AD.. actually chopped some forest to get all the wonders:crazyeye:.. but I guess if i look at the "base need/or the reason to build".. GLib offers free settled GS until SM.. why not use 2-3 population earlier with PHilo/cast.. gives about the same.. and yeah.. I agree.. anyways here are some screens at the current situation.. It's only immortal.. but I liked my tech path much better now. Got the merchant from economy.. the GS from physics etc..

But yeah.. hm you got me thinking! so i def try that route.. guess you can get philo much earlier than byro aswell :).. but still i might worker steal from Darius.. its not that hard to get peace before he gets dangerous :) It also.. slows down the player I consider to be the biggest competitor for Lib
City.JPG City2.JPG diplo.JPG tech.JPG

Last edited:
OK.. the immortal game I'm looking @ 1834 AD lauch.. with 18 turns travel time...
I have only built 1 casting and 1 thruster.. both have the 1-5 required to launch..

Question.. do more of these reduce travel time.. and if.. how much? Always wondered it and I am pretty unexperienced with space race... and yeah.. i can ofc test it myself.. but this is a good time to take a little break :)

Will probably play that game (quickly) and try to post some ss / saves to illustrate, saves are worth a thousand words...

Each thruster/engine reduce travel time by 2T. Each casing gives an extra 20% chance for the mission to succeed, which means you have to build 5 casings to get 100% success odds... here you have only 20% chance that your spaceship will actually land.

aha! Thx! That makes sense. I actually went on before I read your reply and tested some myself. Ended up with 2 castings.. and 2 thrusters.. and yeah.. the launch went as you can see in the picture :)
Fredrick also won the exact same turn...

Attached is the save from before casting and thrusters have been built :)

They sure are fun and fast these OCC :)

Attachments

• NC 160 Gandhi AD-1834 thrusters or no thrusters...CivBeyondSwordSave
    377.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Failing!.JPG
    Failing!.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Thanks elitetroops! Great stuff! with no map knowledge and fresh OCC gamesense.. this Mansa game might be a great OCC to record..!
Mansa is imo a to "good/boring" leader to do a regular deity game with.. I know how to win with him.. and he is really strong.. but it just takes to much willpower to ever complete a game.

I think I will stick to Immortal tho.

Gameplan..
Get mids and Oracle philo... Since financial I think a healthy mix of worked cottages and GPP generation is better.. hm.. Def the FP.. and maybe cottage the cow.. hm..
A quick oxford and lib biology seems important here aswell..

I will give it a go :)

Top Bottom