How to play balanced

Rudolf Maister

Chieftain
Everytime I try to win a cultural or religous victory i am very behind technology and get conquered by more advanced civs. Any tips?

Sure... be balanced as you said.
So first off a high standing army helps stopping them DOW you so easily.
You need science for a cultural victory, you win a hell of a lot faster once you have computers.... so I recommend this for any civ.

Get divine spark because it helps with both scientists and cultural types.
Push you culture heavily until you get museums then swap to a heavy science push, this really helps you victory as well as defending. I go as far as pushing science projects as well. You may in fact want to swap to science before museums... it depends but in a perfect world you would hit computers at the same time you fill your museums.

On the way to computers you pass seaside resorts which are stronger than museums really.

Nothing else really matters for a cultural,victory, you are far far far better off pushing a science project than building a wonder other than Eiffel or cristo.

One thing I do is build 4 slingers, 4 warriors and depending on the Civ, 4 UU early. I don't upgrade these until needed. They are essentially "free" units until upgraded. This helps to deter the AI. If you see them coming with a large army or DOW you then upgrade your units in the same turn. Pick off a unit or two of the AI and they will offer peace. Take what they offer, even if it's an even-up peace. To then cover the new expense of the upgraded units, switch to the conscription policy.

Top Bottom