How to "pop rush" in rep/demo

Theoden said:
What i have been thinking about is a way to rush improvements and units in governments where gold is usually the way
Theoden

The best way to cash rush on the cheap is to borrow a lot from the richest civ. Borrow to the max and cash rush over a 20 turn duration. Then threaten the civ to have him give you all their cities 20 times. Fail on stealing a map or tech...

BAM! insta war, debt gone and plenty of free gpt to buy allies!

Theoden said:
I have actually found a way. After we have researched nationalism we get the draft ability.

A small point, but who researches Nationalism? Or even buys it? Why not use the cash you save not bothering with Nationalism to cash rush a few units?

AlanH said:
A small point, but who researches Nationalism? Or even buys it? Why not use the cash you save not bothering with Nationalism to cash rush a few units?

Because nationalism gives access to fascism and communism and you sometimes need one of those. Or because you want a defensive edge until replaceable parts. Or because of the MPP's you can sign then. And of course to use draft both for this strategy or just to get a few extra troops. And if you want espionage you als need nationalism. There are innumerous reasons to get nationalism. I always research it in my games.

Theoden

Wow! I really never research Nationalism. Replacable Parts really isn't that far on, and usually I am heading straight for Scientific MEthods (ToE) then Rep. Parts...

Well if you are playing for the score, I think you should stay far away from the draft.;)

I haven't played a great deal in the Industrial, so I guess I shouldn't have commented, at least not in such strong terms :blush:

However, when I have played with artillery, tanks and airplanes, I've always focused on the mandatory techs. I've never found a use for espionage, which seems to be expensive and risky; I've never used the draft because it produces low grade defenders, and I don't even do high grade defenders. I seem to be able to live without Communism and MPP's as well. Fascism isn't even in my old fashioned 'Pedia.

My .02 on nationalism: I generally don't put much value on it when playing the AI. If I want espionage I'll buy these techs when everyone else has them and they are cheap. But as others said there may be situations where it is beneficial.

Can you use this technique with monarchy or communism?

zerksees said:
Can you use this technique with monarchy or communism

The tactic is actually also for monarchy since it uses gold rush just as democracy or republic. For Communism it can be used but it doesn't give as great an advantage because you could just poprush it. I that case the only advantage is that draft-poprushing gives a bit more shields and can be translated from a city to another.

Theoden

Theoden said:
For Communism it can be used but it doesn't give as great an advantage because you could just poprush it. I that case the only advantage is that draft-poprushing gives a bit more shields and can be translated from a city to another.
You could combine poprushing and drafting. The advantage is that the unhappiness is reduced at double speed.

1. Why not use civil engineers? Each of them gives 2 spt, which is more efficient than to have a 2 gpt taxman and then gold rush getting 0.5 shield ...
2. If there are too many corrupted cities, why not revolt to communism? Communism is far far better than any other government in c3c 1.22, -- it presumbaly eliminates corruption! Although anarchy may last 8 turns, it is still worthy.
Just my 2 cents ...

Oystein said:
You could combine poprushing and drafting. The advantage is that the unhappiness is reduced at double speed.

why is this? well ok actually i dont even know the algorithm for reducing the unhappiness effects from pop-rushing and drafting. i seem to remember something in my past about a 20-turn rule. and i always assumed that the unhappiness from any draft always went away after 20 turns. but i found when i drafted large numbers in a short time span that the city seemed to become permanantly unhappy. and it left me confused. so now im reading something into your quote here - is the time-related reduction in unhappiness after a draft limited to only one happy face per 20 turns? and also one for pop-rushing? and is this why you say you can do it at double speed when you do both?

1 unhappy face is added for each pop whipped. This number will decrease every 20th turn.

The same goes for drafting. But this works independently, so i 20 turn there can be a decrease in unhappy people from both drafting and whipping.

2 pop rush will give 20 turns with 2 unhappy faces then 20 turn with 1 unhappy face.
1 poprush and 1 draft will give 20 turns with 2 unhappy faces, but then both will turn content.

I have only rarely used a drafted citizen to disband for this purpose. I usually use outdated military units hanging on from a previous age. Most recently I used my UU (Siraphi or something? an 8.3.3 calvary) which I had a bunch of but were of little use vs Mech Infantry.

Since they could not be upgraded, they served their final duty very well and on the front, allowed city after city to build temples and courthouses. Since I usually play Democracy and all wars that I cause are over in 10 turns, I like to hold on tight to cities I have just recently "liberated". Disbanding one unit then buying the improvement works a treat.

Also for the times when you need to form a strong beachhead on a nearby continent. If I have a city on another continent or island close to the enemy continent, then I will "culture shock" a space on their island by disbanding a unit then buying a temple & cathedral. Then I place my own city and in three turns build an airport, temple and barracks.

Top Bottom