How to reduce AI aggression

Kamenev

Chieftain
Do not grant open borders. I have been playing numerous games where I refuse open borders with all AI civs. For me, this significantly reduces the chance of war. I think it is because they are programmed to see what a player sees. So if you never open your border, they do not know your military potential.

I have played over ten games this way. 75% of which I was never attacked!

However, I need more data. Has anyone else tried this?

Do not grant open borders. I have been playing numerous games where I refuse open borders with all AI civs. For me, this significantly reduces the chance of war. I think it is because they are programmed to see what a player sees. So if you never open your border, they do not know your military potential.

I have played over ten games this way. 75% of which I was never attacked!

However, I need more data. Has anyone else tried this?

So less relations = more friendly

:hmm:

My guess is the Since the AI hasn't explored the area then they have no clue what cities etc so they can't decide to attack what they don't know about?

Not less relations. Just don't open borders. I also routinely close my borders. I never thought it actually lessened AI aggression. I just don't want their stupid units crowding my roads!

Didn't work. Played my last game on King, as the French, defensive strategy. I was actually inspired by somebody else who suggested not maintaining any relations with other civs. No open borders or pacts of any kind, and I got attacked by Songhai once, and later Babylon and Russia together. England was Hostile towards me. I quit the game again later. Also, note that I'd disabled Domination Victory in the game.

I don't think that there is a relation between open borders and AI aggression... The AI is very unaggressive overall, which really pisses me off. They never attack or anything, which really bores me...

I don't think that there is a relation between open borders and AI aggression... The AI is very unaggressive overall, which really pisses me off. They never attack or anything, which really bores me...

islands? lol this isnt a common complaint unless your all on different continents.

You're joking, right? Of the 15~ games I've played, I haven't met a single civ that hasn't attacked me or been Hostile towards me at the very least.

I find that settling towards them makes the biggest difference, if you take "their" lands they attack and if you settle away from everyone you can quite often go for ages without war.

Sabretou:

I think not having relations at all hurt you there.

I always have some kind of deal going on. Generally, luxury deals. Between that, my military, and closed borders, I generally get DoW'd once a game. Some games I'd get DoWd like, seven or eight times, but it's always the same guys and they just never learn. In one game, I got DoW'd by Alex like, 4 times, and I beat him every time. I finally took his cities just to shut him the hell up.

Everyone else was peaceable.

In fact, in my current game as Rome, I'm having trouble getting Rankhamhaeng to declare war on me. I'd like some of his cities, but not the hit from attacking him. I made ridiculous demands, buy multiple tiles on his borders, culture bomb, settle near him, array my troops around his cities - you name it, and the guy just sits tight never saying anything. You'd think he'd get pissed already.

In my experience, backstabbing is more likely when you use open borders. The AI marched his army to the weakest part of my empire and basically did a surprise attack. If the AI didn't blow tactically, I could have been in trouble.

I find that settling towards them makes the biggest difference, if you take "their" lands they attack and if you settle away from everyone you can quite often go for ages without war.

That's pretty much what i meant... In Civ 4 you had those aggressive leaders like Montezuma, that loved to attack and stress you, but now they seem to be very friendly as long as you dont bother them too much.

I know that settling near other civs gets a hit to the diplo, but I'm pretty sure I didn't trigger any don't-settle-near-me screens in the last game. In fact, it was Babylon who went on settling all the way to my capital's borders.

The AI in this game is impossible: all they seem to care about is attacking and destroying everyone on their way. I think I'll stick to Archipelago maps after this.

Maybe you just need to be more personable. :) Work on your AI-skills... :p

I think the AI is just the right amount of aggressive. If you don't want to be attacked build more units. Certainly if you were going to attack the AI you wouldn't let a positive history stop you.

These tips have made me able to have a game where I coexited peacefully even with them right on my border.

1. Dont accept pacts of secrecy or be bad to people you have a cooperation pact with
2. Uphold a secrecy pact
3. Dont declare war yourself
4. Dont invade cities if at war (because of angry ai or a war pact), other AI's get pissed off with your warmongering then its down hill from there. (especially invading city states is a big no no)

It seems to work but unfortunatly if you want to win you can't stay peaceful. Liberation of cities requires you to go to war so everyone then breaks pacts with you which is a real pain.

Are we even sure that there is a diplomatic "hit" for declaring war? or taking cities?

Definately would be good to know.

Top Bottom