How to render archers more attractive?

Its to encourage the distinction between different lines.
I like it.

Is that the purpose, or a side effect? Anyways, requiring the special building for upgrades still keeps everything kosher.

Pretty sure the purpose...
I Didn't follow when they were developing tho.

Anyway, why does that matter?

I just don't think its worth changing the whole system around for.

Is your opinion biased on the fact that you spam copper warriors primarily until T2 units are available? Not that the strategy doesn't work, but doesn't it seem a bit warped that T0 warriors are viewed as better than T1 units?

As for my specific idea: lets say archers are "fixed" as this thread suggests. You still have to choose between horses, archers, or axes. Inevitably you will be forced to choose one unit type over another, probably not archers. This is a bit boring in my view. With my idea, you don't have to sacrifice choosing between the T1 units, but you do need to create specialized buildings if you want advanced troops.

Is your opinion biased on the fact that you spam copper warriors primarily until T2 units are available? Not that the strategy doesn't work, but doesn't it seem a bit warped that T0 warriors are viewed as better than T1 units?

As for my specific idea: lets say archers are "fixed" as this thread suggests. You still have to choose between horses, archers, or axes. Inevitably you will be forced to choose one unit type over another, probably not archers. This is a bit boring in my view. With my idea, you don't have to sacrifice choosing between the T1 units, but you do need to create specialized buildings if you want advanced troops.

I play EitB where axes et al are worthwhile, so no I don't.
Also I don't think its boring I think its strategy and hammers home the idea of focussing on different lines.
It also makes cities more distinct, and buildings (which are generally not worth it) more worthwhile.

So where I see spamming and exclusion, you see focus and clarity? I will agree to disagree. :)

I don't mean to intrude, but one detail did catch my eye.

ixpvalueattack and ixpvaluedefense are bounties, not buffs. Or in otherwords, if the Archer has a high ixpvalue ... I get a high reward for killing the archer. But the archer gains nothing from it, it just makes the archer a jucier target.

If you make ixpvaluedefense 8 for archers, then I will try to get the AI to attack me with Archer stacks somehow.

FYI, I believe that iXPValueDefense specifies the amount of XP granted to the unit defeating the one associated with the XML you're tinkering with. So, changing this value from 4 to 8 will increase the rate at which units defeating archers on defense will gain XP rather than the archers themselves.

I don't mean to intrude, but one detail did catch my eye.

ixpvalueattack and ixpvaluedefense are bounties, not buffs. Or in otherwords, if the Archer has a high ixpvalue ... I get a high reward for killing the archer. But the archer gains nothing from it, it just makes the archer a jucier target.

If you make ixpvaluedefense 8 for archers, then I will try to get the AI to attack me with Archer stacks somehow.

Please do intrude, my proposal is meant to be commented :)

Thanks for the pointers, I've removed the iXPValueDefense bit from my proposal.

What I mean is I don't spam in EitB, and yes I like the buildings system because they make cities specialize.
If they were available without you'd see more spam, because past the first 150 turns bronze warriors suck in combat so you try to avoid them.

I read over the EitB features and it sounds like an interesting mod. It certainly closes the gap between warriors and T1 units. What does it do to promote archer use? Do you use non-elven/firebow archers regularly?

as Qgqqqqq said : EitB justs reduces the price of archers and archery.
however as it reduces the price of axes ... archers did not become cheaper than axes.

I couldn't comment as I don't use archers anywhere (never in FFH, rarely in bts) as I prefer an active defence against the ai.
In pvp marchers are used rarely because the focus is on collateral and speed, and holing up in cities costs both of them.
EitB pb spoilers
Spoiler :

In the pitboss there is a current battle over a city on the clown-vampire border, and the focus is not on defence, but on soaking up with numbers, and attacking out at workers/spellcasters. (All in an attempt to hold the city long enough for their vampire snowball to quick off)
The recent stuff starts about here:
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=4958&pid=347460#pid347460

But the focus and why I'm bringing this up is that marchers aren't strong units IMO in FFH because of their very purpose in mp and as a strong ai defence - marchers will never hold the day against an ai stack as to get peace you need either one really strong defender to discourage attacks entirely, spellcasters to either stop the stack or weaken it so much that any attack is an insta win or kill their units themselves to prevent them bringing attacks to bear or stuffing soldiers into a city to keep it from falling.
In none of these scenarios are marchers in their current form useful, either in EitB (they are changed, can't remember how but its non fundamental) or raw.
Tldr?
No I don't use them, yes I think they do need a chance, no I don't remember the EitB changes.

You sort of made my point, Q. You could be at least backfilling your cities with archers, freeing up warriors/axes to attack, or even build a few to defend your stack. One of the reasons you stated for this is that you would be forced to first construct an otherwise useless building.

What if archers targeted melee first in combat outside of cities?

@Qqqqqq

They can only blind every other turn? Is this a house rule or a side effect of turn splits. Either way, if it's a simul turn pitboss, each blind would last 2 turns

Its sequential pitboss, and I'm not sure where your question same from....?

@keich: I normally garison each city not in the firing line with a single warrior (I.e. replacing them with archers would be expensive), And they're not strong enough for me to build them just to defend a stack (bronze axes have the same dedensive strength.
I don't remember stating that either, but I don't build marchers because the base unit sucketh - if that unit was better id build it happily just like I build training yards.
What is your point (that I made for you)?

To make mixed unit groups, you forfeit hammers to buildings instead of troops that could pull double duty.

As a side note, I really hope the AI can be improved enough to make you afraid to garrison just one warrior per town. I remember being a lot more scared in Civ3.

Top Bottom