How to start multiplayer 'career'?

Inlex

Warlord
Dordrecht, Netherlands / Tilburg, Netherlands
Hi guys. I have been playing CIV since Gods&Kings came out and never really stopped. I played Colonization back when that was first released, but I guess that doesn't really count, since I was 9 and the world was a different place, where pentium 386 was top notch and CD rom was the newest tech.

I have always played multiplayer games, specifically RTS like Warcraft III, Starcraft II, and others. But never really dared to start Civ multiplayer. Mostly because I tried to play a LAN with 5 friends in CIV 5, and we quit after about 4 hours and 30 turns, since people took forever for their turns and people were backstabbing and declaring war more aggressively than persia on a buggy day.

Thing is: I'm growing increasingly bored with the AI and the 'point of no return' in most games, where you know for certain WHO will win, it's just a matter of time. YOu know that if people would band together, that they could collectively stop the menace. This might change in R&F, but as someone has stated, I beleive that emergencies might only make things worse, rewarding the target in many cases.

Hopefully Multiplayer will change the experience. Does anyone have any tips how to start with that? I don't want to be 'that guy' who slows down the game, but I want to play somewhat competetively. I play most my single player games on immortal and emperor, so I think I can say I know how the game works. (I play Deity only if I'm in a special kind of self-hating mood, but mostly only for achievements)

Any tips or pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated!

But never really dared to start Civ multiplayer. Mostly because I tried to play a LAN with 5 friends in CIV 5, and we quit after about 4 hours and 30 turns, since people took forever for their turns and people were backstabbing and declaring war more aggressively than persia on a buggy day.

We have several house rules in place for our LAN parties:

(1) turn timer 01:30
(2) human players may not be attacked in a certain "core" region (either the home island or ~9 tiles from their capital), everything beyond that is open to wars & backstabbing.
(3) certain game elements are banned, for example australia is banned because people team up & declare war to get 100% production bonus, or persia is banned because
they declare war on remote ai's to get movement bonus against human enemies etc.

I would recommend playing over PBEM over Playyourdamnturn.

Slower turn times make for better and more competitive games. Check out realmsbeyond for that.

Didn't really consider the fact that there is an actual multiplayer section of the forum. If a mod would like move this topic there, please do :)

Inlex, feel free to come play MP at Civplayers Leagues, we are the largest Civ6 MP community were you can find 15-20 games a day in all time zones. https://discord.gg/ubwTNdd

Top Bottom