How to succeed with a money run?

Dayvit78

Chieftain
I've been playing this game for a while now, but I'm still learning new things and appreciate everyone's advice.

In my current run, I decided to do Carthage and focus on gold - trade, markets, etc. I'm at about turn 60, but I'm finding it very slow going. My main city (which is usually the growth city) still takes 6 turns to build a settler. None of my cities are good at military yet, so it's also taking about 5-6 turns to build a basic unit. I'm also behind on tech (maybe one mistake in trying to stay pagan this time). I'm finding money is not useful to solve any of these problems! The only positive is that I have a ton of money, but I also have a ton of other resources because I don't have a lot of units to support.

Has anybody found ways to make money successful? I feel like I made a huge mistake focusing on markets and rushing land consolidation to get groves. Other than rush construction, what am I missing that money can do?

With Carthage, you can buy the tribal units, so less worry about your army.
You should have enough money for events and to rush-buy resources if needed, e.g. a wonder. But above that, I often have too much money (although it's easy to spend it all very quickly in 1 turn ^^).

Thanks!
Unfortunately, I had to attack the tribes because the AI were doing it too and I would've lost the city sites.
I usually don't have problems with money for events. If I'm short, I just quickly sell some resources to get the cash. I like how the event waits for you to do whatever want - you can close it and come back later in the turn.

Reactions: PiR
You buy the unit and then attack the camp with it. Carthage has a clear advantage with that. You can have a decent army early in the game and beat the AI to camps

You buy the unit and then attack the camp with it. Carthage has a clear advantage with that. You can have a decent army early in the game and beat the AI to camps
Unless you're me and every time I start a Carthage game there are only barbarians and no tribes. :(

Top Bottom