How to win a diplomatic victory that isn't a psuedo-domination?

Archon_Wing

Vote for me or die
So they changed the last diplo vote to be +2/-2 but you have to have 20 points by the start of your next turn. This means you cannot simply win just by having 20 points before the final +2/-2 vote like you could before. But this vote is basically impossible to win beyond small maps without an astronomical amount of favor since each extra vote is doubled in cost. So besides killing mostly everyone to reduce the votes needed or winning a contest in between votes, it seems to be impossible to take this in the WC legitimately though I suppose some would consider killing off every other civ to be legitimate.

Just make sure noone votes against you to takeaway 2 diplopoints (do not earn too much points = don't finish SoL before modern era, sabotage others' attempts).
That voting is in the first congress in modern era.
You can earn 5 points during that congress (+2 diploleader, +3 resolutions).
Make sure you have 10-11 points before it (potala, MT, resolutions, emergencies) and SoL prebuilt to 1 turn left, so it would be 15-16
Then:
Finish SoL (+4)
Research seasteds (+1) or global warming (+1)
If still not enough:
Win scored competition (world's fair or sth) +1. Competition ends before next WC

Just to mention:
Owning other's civ capital gives MASSIVE favor penalty (-5), so I am not sure if killing almost everyone would work better

With the change from -3 diplo points to -2, you can actually gain a point even if you get voted to lose points (whereas before you could only break even).

I think the way Firaxis wants diplomatic victory to work is that you actually use the points from seasteads, global warming, or competitions to actually push you over the edge to claim the win. I believe they designed the victory to come later than most players actually want it to come.

Ideally you spend most of the game in second place by a point or two and jump ahead when the leader gets downvoted, but in my experience the AI is rarely able to build up enough points for that to happen.

OTOH I wonder how fast diplo vctory would be in apocalypse mod. In my first game in the very very beginning 3 natural disaster emergencies. You shoulpd possibly get DV before negative voting occurs

So besides killing mostly everyone to reduce the votes needed or winning a contest in between votes, it seems to be impossible to take this in the WC legitimately though I suppose some would consider killing off every other civ to be legitimate.

Good luck with that. With the new penalty to holding capitals, I was at solid zero diplo favor generation *after* unlocking Merchant republic.

Honestly, it scales poorly with map size. The smaller the map, the easier it is to get diplo victory so there are less people all voting against you for the points resolution. This really needs a rebalance

I think this is actually pretty good. They made it a lot easier to win with the change to voting down. But now you actually have to play diplomatically.

Vote yourself down for victory, have high diplomatic visibility so you can have an educated guess on how others will vote for other resolutions, and aim for winning scored competitions. Statue of Liberty and Mohdobodi Temple help a lot, obviously.

Doing it this way scales well with map size if you give up on getting your thing passed and worry more about what everyone else wants to pass.

It's actually easier as losing the diplo vote is much less punishing than it was pre-patch.

The 2+/2- vote is only a small fraction of it. Once you reach the window where all civs are going to vote against you, your diplo favour should be ploughed into the other two votes to brute force the vote your way for the points. Voting against yourself and winning the other two votes get you a net of one.

Add to that the abundance of ways to get diplo victory points and I think it's pretty well balanced at this moment. Still not sure whether the -5 penalty for occupying someone's capital will totally stop a domination Diplo victory, but it goes a long way to rectifying it.

I think the changes are excellent, the best route to a diplo victory now requires diplomacy rather than domination, but it is still slower than other victory types so I'm not sure it's really even feasible in multiplayer. Still, I'm happy with what they've done, just hoping they consider giving the WC an overhaul.

Top Bottom