Huge New CIV Update, Largest to Date

He is laughing at the fact that-though you don't even know what farms DO-you are already pretty sure you like them ;) :D!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
The good thing, V. Soma, is that living in Australia means that you guys WILL get it before me-just because it probably won't arrive on our shelves for around a month after it arrives on yours ;)!

AH, well, then we'll be good tests of how things go as international selling.
I am, here in Hungary, not that sure I will get it fast...
Maybe 2-3 weeks after release in US.

Best would if the same time as in all Europe,
after all, Hungary is now member of EU! :)

The more I look at the pictures, the more I can't help thinking that Civilization IV will be like RoN (or another RTS).

By which I mean by placing mines and farms is localized areas to gather their profit and sending workers over to them.

dangit!!!!!!

Aussie_Lurker said:
He is laughing at the fact that-though you don't even know what farms DO-you are already pretty sure you like them ;) :D!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie,
you read my brain! ;)

In fact, the latest news sound very good to me, no doubt about it. Nevertheless, explaining that I WILL like a feature, I know nothing about seems to be a little bit TOO enthusiastic.. But this may be just me, no?

By the way, I still think the units are much too large compared to the environment. This doesn't look good and takes away a feeling of realism....

Here is a small additional update. Hopefully there will be some screenshots online shortly. Once again, thanks to Blue Lion of EVG for the tip. :)
  • There are 4 more confirmed civilizations, bringing the total up to 10. They are Japan, Egypt, China and the Arabs.
  • One of the screenshots shows that when you establish a religion, (Hinduism is shown in the screenshot), you experience one turn of anarchy and get one additional happy person in every city where Hinduism is the regional religion. That implies that your civilization will not be united behind one religion, but different regions of your empire will have different belief systems.

Commander Bello said:
Aussie,
you read my brain! ;)

In fact, the latest news sound very good to me, no doubt about it. Nevertheless, explaining that I WILL like a feature, I know nothing about seems to be a little bit TOO enthusiastic.. But this may be just me, no?

By the way, I still think the units are much too large compared to the environment. This doesn't look good and takes away a feeling of realism....
Bah, we are used to.
Why do you research , for eg, construction if you hadn't researched it yet and therefore you don't know what you'll gain from that? ;)

Not sure if they'll have formal regions. Could just be that each city has an official religion. It sounds like how someone described religion in Europa Universalis or whatever.

Could be worse.

dh_epic said:
Not sure if they'll have formal regions. Could just be that each city has an official religion. It sounds like how someone described religion in Europa Universalis or whatever.

Could be worse.
I am still leary of the concept of Religion in the game ...heck, look at the heated debates here over the forms of Government - Democracy vs Facism etc.

The mods/admins on these sites are going to have their hands full when suddenly people are defending which religion is better - it may have nothing to do with it's value in the game - it will be because devout believers will never say THEIR religion is second rate....

If they want to use this trait, perhaps they should call it Faith rather than religion..a minor but oh so significant change in label. The word "Faith" is much less polarizing than "Religion". Faith is a concept, while Religion is the application of that concept. JMHO

Micaelis Rex said:
Tech Tree: Unlike Civ3, the tech tree will not be split into eras. There will be a total of 85 technologies, but some of them can only be discovered in very specific ways. Confirmed technologies include:
Agriculture
Fishing
Hunting
Does this mean the game will start before 4000BC? Or at least before civ3?

Don't you think cities near a border with a civ with a different state religion may change to be predominantly that religion - therefore religious regions?

Aussie_Lurker said:
He is laughing at the fact that-though you don't even know what farms DO-you are already pretty sure you like them ;).

I guess I could have elaborated on that a little bit, huh? :p What i meant to say is that I think so far inthe civ series, agriculture, a vital part of any civilization's success, has been oversimplified, and any improvement on that would be great!

better? :lol:

If the religions are just empty labels, then the game has taken no position in the religious debate of "which religion is better" or "this religion is more ____ than that one".

It's inevitable that any conflict in the game will carry conflicts from outside the game. But somehow, people haven't **** themselves every time Germany goes to war with France, or Japan goes to war with China, or Britain attacks India.

I think they've chosen the safest, smallest, and thus "best" route -- if they were going to implement it at all.

dh_epic said:
If the religions are just empty labels, then the game has taken no position in the religious debate of "which religion is better" or "this religion is more ____ than that one".

It's inevitable that any conflict in the game will carry conflicts from outside the game. But somehow, people haven't **** themselves every time Germany goes to war with France, or Japan goes to war with China, or Britain attacks India.

I think they've chosen the safest, smallest, and thus "best" route -- if they were going to implement it at all.
Nothing is safe when it comes to the concept of Religion. Millions have died over history because of Religious wars, some fought over the tiniest thing such as the meaning of one word or line of scripture.

People do not get as upset over secular references ..but throw the word Religion in the mix and you have a powder keg. Whole different ballgame.

If they are just empty labels what is the point? If they want to use it to cause regional divisions, why not use Nationalism...this is just as valid a divider and not quite as explosive. Will there be religious Great Leaders? Which are going to be included? Moses? Muhammed? Buddha? Zoraster? Jerry Falwell? Jesus? ...wait, by many he is considerd to be not a leader but God him/herself in Human form....will some people become upset that you may kill Jesus in the game? (Happens if the enemy overruns the city he appears in.) Or that he is just considered a 'leader'? You bet.

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I feel that religion in a game should be used with great care...there is a line between having fun and really making people mad. And mad people do not buy the product; worse, they may cause it to be shunned. Hope they don't cross it.

Argh! Stop being so political correct in everything! Religion must in, because it has played a vital part in human history, and that's final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if UUs will be part of Civ4? They were one of the best additions to Civ3.

And let's hope scripted events make a comeback. They were the worst loss from Civ2.

Philips beard said:
Argh! Stop being so political correct in everything! Religion must in, because it has played a vital part in human history, and that's final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My apologies if I offended you, I have my views and will continue to express them in a reasonable and polite manner. Isn't that what this forum is for? To discuss the features we are hearing about, to hear different views? If you disagree, post your reasons; I truly want to understand them. Debate is the purest form of education... :)

It looks like religion will be a factor in negotiations with other civilizations affecting the value of trade deals, likelihood of alliances, etc... So the best religion will be that which is politically expediant. The best religion will vary for each game depending on neighbors and possibly within each game depending on resources and miltary strength.

Top Bottom