Humankind - Carthaginians discussion thread

Makes me wonder what the EQ abilities will be like since if you wind up going Phoenicia -> Carthage, your cities could have both a Haven and a Cothon (unless I'm misunderstanding something of course), which at first glance seems like there could be some significant overlap.

Very good question. The EQ description for Phoenicia sort of makes it seem like the Haven is a city center. I wonder.

I wonder how they are going to handle quarters. Some questions come to mind:

- How many types are there?
- Emblematic: Are they replacements?
- Can you place more than one?

We're saving the detailed reveal of all this for later, so I'll have to keep my answers vague:
1. Several.
2. Some yes, some no.
3. There are some limitations.

I would like to think that Emblematic Quarters could be either Replacements or Additional depending on the Faction/Quarter, but I'd bet they will go one way or the other exclusively. My question, though, is how much of the 'extra' capability of an Emblematic Quarter carries over into your later Factions. If it is 100% or nearly so, imagine a Renaissance/Industrial British Navy with Cothons!

AGain more details later, but generally yes. It's part of keeping the history of your civilization, as well as making the different combinations of cultures distinct.

There are science quarters, they have a circular plaza with the EL science symbol on them.

View attachment 547229

Just going to mention, that picture is from the Announcement trailer last GamesCom. That plaza with the science symbol on it was a placeholder. It won't be that blunt in the final game.

Eh, first civ I am slightly disappointed with. I really don't see the need to make both Phoenicia and Carthage. Both were very culturally similar, their existence was entirely contained within first millenium BC and overlapped (Carthage even sent traditonal symbolic tribute to its mother Tyre), their city list should be identical except Lebanon, and worst of all they are identical to Civ series Carthage.
I mean considering that it's a clear case of evolution/continuity that fits within the theme of the game...Carthage was bound to happen

I guess city lists can be quite short in Humankind. 10-15 per culture might be sufficient.

I guess city lists can be quite short in Humankind. 10-15 per culture might be sufficient.
I hope they have a slightly more sensible method of naming cities after the initial list runs out than civ vi. I've founded Washington as Sumeria, the Khmer, and others I've forgotten. At least go to a list from the same geographic region of the world....

Of course, it may be quite a bit more challenging to use all the names in a single era, compared with the whole game as Civ VI.

I hope they have a slightly more sensible method of naming cities after the initial list runs out than civ vi. I've founded Washington as Sumeria, the Khmer, and others I've forgotten. At least go to a list from the same geographic region of the world....

Of course, it may be quite a bit more challenging to use all the names in a single era, compared with the whole game as Civ VI.
Jeez, I've never got that far in a city list...

Given that you only have, usually, one Era in which to found cities using that list, it's a safe bet. On the other hand, they've said that you can choose to keep the same Faction in the next Era (and all the way to the End of Game? I don't think they've specified that yet) so there will have to be some kind of 'overflow' list enough for, say, Assyrian Cities in 3 - 4 Eras.

The big problem, which has been gnawing away in my mind ever since they first announced Factions like the Harappans and Olmecs, is how they are going to generate any legitimate City List at all for either of those.

They can tease out some Harappan city names from 'back-dating' later cities in the region, many of which coincided with Harappan sites earlier, but it's tricky: so far the consensus is that the Harappans spoke a language pre-Indo-European, so largely unrelated to the later languages in the area.
But Olmecs - we got nothing. There are paleo-linguistic studies that have put together tentative vocabularies of a few Olmec words or phrases (actually 'Epi-Olmec') but absolutely nothing even resembling a place name or city name. I looked into this a couple of years ago because there was a really good Olmec Civ modded for Civ V, but with the modern Spanish archeological site names, which drove me crazy.
Unfortunately, couldn't find anything more useful than to name cities with the Epi-Olmec words for 'Turtle',' Jaguar', 'Serpent', 'Eagle', etc. Still complete fantasy, but at least they looked better than some completely foreign word imposed from Europe.

Given that you only have, usually, one Era in which to found cities using that list, it's a safe bet. On the other hand, they've said that you can choose to keep the same Faction in the next Era (and all the way to the End of Game? I don't think they've specified that yet) so there will have to be some kind of 'overflow' list enough for, say, Assyrian Cities in 3 - 4 Eras.

The big problem, which has been gnawing away in my mind ever since they first announced Factions like the Harappans and Olmecs, is how they are going to generate any legitimate City List at all for either of those.

They can tease out some Harappan city names from 'back-dating' later cities in the region, many of which coincided with Harappan sites earlier, but it's tricky: so far the consensus is that the Harappans spoke a language pre-Indo-European, so largely unrelated to the later languages in the area.
But Olmecs - we got nothing. There are paleo-linguistic studies that have put together tentative vocabularies of a few Olmec words or phrases (actually 'Epi-Olmec') but absolutely nothing even resembling a place name or city name. I looked into this a couple of years ago because there was a really good Olmec Civ modded for Civ V, but with the modern Spanish archeological site names, which drove me crazy.
Unfortunately, couldn't find anything more useful than to name cities with the Epi-Olmec words for 'Turtle',' Jaguar', 'Serpent', 'Eagle', etc. Still complete fantasy, but at least they looked better than some completely foreign word imposed from Europe.

Iroquis city names in civ5 say hello

And the best part is - because Hiawarha was insane city spamer you'd see a lot of them :)

I am also curious about the cities-naming mechanic. I mostly settle the major part of my cities in the first half (or even in the first third) of my Civ game, so in Humankind my modern American/German/French Empire will most likely consist of no American/German/French named cities.

I remember seeing München in one of the videos, so I don't know if city names get "modernized" as eras avance, or if this is going to be an exception and we are going to get a world with its cities names strongly biased towards bronze and classical civs.

I've never played EL but perhaps the game mechanic in Humankind keeps encouraging the player to settle in advanced eras more than Civ does...

Eh, first civ I am slightly disappointed with. I really don't see the need to make both Phoenicia and Carthage. Both were very culturally similar, their existence was entirely contained within first millenium BC and overlapped (Carthage even sent traditonal symbolic tribute to its mother Tyre), their city list should be identical except Lebanon, and worst of all they are identical to Civ series Carthage.
For me, I'm going to love playing Phoenicia followed by Carthage.

I am also curious about the cities-naming mechanic. I mostly settle the major part of my cities in the first half (or even in the first third) of my Civ game, so in Humankind my modern American/German/French Empire will most likely consist of no American/German/French named cities.

I remember seeing München in one of the videos, so I don't know if city names get "modernized" as eras avance, or if this is going to be an exception and we are going to get a world with its cities names strongly biased towards bronze and classical civs.

I've never played EL but perhaps the game mechanic in Humankind keeps encouraging the player to settle in advanced eras more than Civ does...
In contrast to civ, I suck at EL, as I can only beat the AI on the lower to mid levels, so my experience is of limited use. But similarly to civ, I settle new regions mostly in the first half of the game.

I wonder if you get the choice of renaming your capital if you switch cultures as your city center design seems to change as well.

So this is what a Carthaginian city looks like (see the Cothon in the back). What else can we identify here?
upload_2020-2-27_23-58-23.jpeg

Looks like the Phoenician EQ, the Haven, is on the right and some sort of sparkly horses in the center bottom. Additionally, both the Cothon and Haven seem to have the same lighthouse structure.

Looks like the Phoenician EQ, the Haven, is on the right and some sort of sparkly horses in the center bottom. Additionally, both the Cothon and Haven seem to have the same lighthouse structure.
As there is a quarter in the lower city that has similar structures as the haven - might this be the Phoenician city center?

What we have here is actually three cities: one foreground, one upper right, one across the bay in upper left. What's intriguing is that the cities in the upper right and in the foreground both have the same 'city center' building (in the foreground, the one on top of the hill with one tower on its right side and a sort of 'park' in front) BUT the city to the upper left has a different, and more massive. 'city center'. Since they don't show boundaries on these shots, we can't tell if that's a Foreign City, or a city from the previous Era that is now Carthaginian. That means that older city architecture will remain in place.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I wonder if the 'sparkly horses' means that was a Horse Resource - which now has a low city wall around it, so is being Exploited by the Carthaginians?

The city in the foreground isn't walled yet - at least, the 'fencing' around the districts is much flimsier than we've seen in other early city screenshots, but it indicates, I suspect, that City Districts/Quarters will always have some kind of graphic 'marker' to show that they are part of the city. Outside those fences, to the right are tiles obviously being worked as Farms, while to the left are tiles of forest with structures in them - hunters? trappers? generic Forest Workers? In any case, assuming that, like in Endless Legend, every tile next to a city tile (Quarter) is automatically worked, then those tiles are also graphically 'marked'.

There are at least four different 'Quarters' in this city, in addition to the (probable) Haven/Harbor:

The City Center on the hill. - with, apparently, architecture unique to Carthage
Left of the Haven, a couple of tiles that appear to be generic 'neighborhoods' or maybe some kind of Population quarters.
Then a tile with a large building with a statue and two 'wading pools' in front. We've seen this before, but exactly what its function is - not a Wonder, not Emblematic unless it is 'left over' in the Carthaginian city, but possibly a Generic Religious or Science Quarter.
Finally, on the coast to the left, a Quarter full of smoking stacks and grimy buildings. If that isn't a Production/Industry Quarter I'll eat my mousepad.

Three polyreme warships in the bay. Beautiful renderings, but lousy depictions of any historical Mediterranean warship. As Phoenician Biremes they are too wide for their length and decked - none of the early bireme or pentekonter (pre-Trireme) ships had decks. IF hey are supposed to be generic Classical polyremes, then they are still too wide for their length: the trireme and its successor quadiremes and quinqueremes were all at least 6 - 7 times longer than they were wide: distinctly different in proportion from the sailing Freight-haulers, which were about 3 - 4 times longer than wide - a lot 'tubbier'.

Even knowing that these are composed shots to tickle us the terrain and the cities look Incredible, though . . .

Lovely shot!

The only thing that looks a bit odd is all those floating piers in the middle of the sea, they don't seem very plausible and look like debris.

Apart from that, there are a few districts that feel distinct. The chimney ones for production, the water pool ones feels like "aesthete", and two kind of different city centers.

Yeah, I’m not sure what is going on with all the platforms in the bay either?

Other than that, beautiful screenshot! I suspect we’re looking at two Phoenician cities (foreground and upper right), and a Carthaginian city (upper left) based on the emblematic quarters and city centres.

Yeah, I’m not sure what is going on with all the platforms in the bay either?

I'm pretty sure the middle tile has a fish resource, a resources extractor was built there, so the surrounding tiles are being worked on. I think that just leaving the fishing boats and adding the piers only next to the coast would make it look much better and still being obvious the tiles are being worked on.

upload_2020-2-28_8-37-14.png

Top Bottom