Humankind Game by Amplitude

I think building your own avatar was a mistake, they should double down on historical avatars and make you choose one and even give them their own bonuses. Playing as Napoleonic Babylon/Rome/etc vs Elizabethan Egypt/Greece/etc would give the game more consistency and flair and also give them
easy DLC without having to add cultures in groups of 6.

I agree, the idea of some fictional or random avatars is not very immersive to many people.
What would be cool - some historical great leaders (not even necessarily heads of state) with clear and strong personalities and their own set of diplomatic quotes. And with strong chance to choose cultures closest to them. Bonus points for leaders not from the most recent civ games. ;) For example: Richard Lionheart, Themistocles, Justinian, Charlemagne, Ashoka, Lorenzo di Medici, Tamerlane, Olga of Kiev, Nzinga, Garibaldi etc.

Richard really likes to take English/British, Themistocles Mycanae/Greek/Byz, Charlemagne Franks/Teutons/French/Germans, Tamerlane Persians/Mongols/Mughals, you get the idea.

The only issue I see with this is "being to similar to Civ" but personally I wouldn't have a problem with this.

It definitely would be more immersive than seeing 'Lucy' avatar with the 'Hipster' bias :p (iirc likes to take ideology stances unpopular among other leaders). Honestly can we petition to remove this trait, in the same way civ6 removed those stupid "seducer, likes male/female leaders more" traits? :p

Last edited:
Regards 'real' historical Avatars, I'd love it, but then Humankind would be going down Civilization's road, and that's not a good idea. There are no named Anybodies in Humankind, and no individual depictions of anybody historical. That's by design (because that kind of 100% completeness doesn't happen by accident) - which means they are not likely to suddenly turn their back on their own design philosophy.

Civ VII, on the other hand . . .

In addition to what I suspect by now is the Required animated historical Leaders for Civ, how about an option for choosing some or all of the Leader's attributes from a selection of both utterly random or historically-related Uniques instead of a constant, predictable standard set for each.
- Or in addition to the 'standard' Leader(s) for each Civ, include a set of Unhistorical, 'generic' Leaders (European, African, Southeast Asian, Amerindian?) whose specific Unique attributes depend on what Civ you attach them to - with, again, some randomness or choice involved, so that each is never quite the same in each game.

The avatars do feel a bit uninspiring but it also feels like a necessity with this game design. While you could probably have made people start with an ancient historical leader and then transcend to a set pool of options based on cultures with some sort of historical ties to the predecessor, that would’ve also greatly reduced the number of possible culture combinations and in turn the strategic depth of the game as a whole. It would’ve been more immersive but also more shallow. I’m not sure a perfect solution really exists where you could get the best of both worlds here

At the very least though I would’ve liked to see a lot more personas if we’re doing it this way to give a bit more variety in diplomatic interaction. Can’t be that resource demanding to do since you can just generate traits and looks with the game’s systems already, it’d only really require more voice actors

Honestly, after two games I played, it gets boring easily.

It’s like your civ and the other civs in your game are just this same frankenstein civilisations which gets old very fast. The initial premise is awesome though, not gonna lie, trying a different civilisation in each different eras is refreshing.

But yeah, remember how bad it was with the Huns in Civ5 and their cities names taken from other civilisations? Well, Humankind have this for each players in all of their games making each and every games feel bland and full of frankenstein civilisations.

I think building your own avatar was a mistake, they should double down on historical avatars and make you choose one and even give them their own bonuses. Playing as Napoleonic Babylon/Rome/etc vs Elizabethan Egypt/Greece/etc would give the game more consistency and flair and also give them

I think there's a lot of room for expansion on the Persona system and eventually to even allow players to create leaders with personalities akin to Civilization 4, for those who might want it. It doesn't seem a stretch to have a Persona with something close to the following traits (though in the context of Humankind):

upload_2021-8-21_12-15-47.png

I don't see the point of them creating leaders at this point when they can clearly just give the player the tools to build it themselves and share them online.

Honestly, after two games I played, it gets boring easily.

It’s like your civ and the other civs in your game are just this same frankenstein civilisations which gets old very fast. The initial premise is awesome though, not gonna lie, trying a different civilisation in each different eras is refreshing.

But yeah, remember how bad it was with the Huns in Civ5 and their cities names taken from other civilisations? Well, Humankind have this for each players in all of their games making each and every games feel bland and full of frankenstein civilisations.

Interesting perspective, but I don't share it. All historical civilizations from the classical period on were "frankenstein" civilizations, as they all built on the traditions of civilizations that preceded them and that they evolved from / absorbed / conquered as they took over that same geographic area. I personally find the civilizations of HK far more realistic than any prior depiction, because they capture this gradual evolution of cultures over time.

I also don't feel like I'm trying a different civilization each era - I'm still the civilization I was before, with it's prior bonuses, unique units, unique districts, and territorial reach. All that happens when I change era is I add a new a set of bonuses, a unit and a district to my culture (or I could transcend for fame, but I don't like seeing my culture ossifying like that, personally).

I personally love the variation this creates in my empire and my neighbours. Combined with the subtle but noticeable difference in how my neighbours behave based on a combination of what's going on around them and their own traits, and the game doesn't feel bland to me.

I really hope not, leave historical leaders to Civ, they would not fit in Humankind with cultures corresponding to eras.

On the other hand, I'd prefer leaders changing per Era in Civ.

We might still see leaders as military commanders and governors on the map, no? These existed in Endless Legend and were attached to armies or cities, respectively. You could translate that into Humankind by removing most of the RPG elements (retaining some of the XP system), and putting the leaders on a timer, like Independent People in Humankind or Heroes in Civ 6. That would make them last through the current era and partially into the next one. Upon death you could gain the ability to construct a National Monument of that Leader (basically a statue) in a single city, like a wonder.

Let's say, playing as the French, you'd be able to acquire Napoleon, probably with influence. You could then attach him to an army, giving it unique bonuses. Combat and victories would grant the leader XP, opening new traits. The available promotions could also be unique, making different playthroughs with the French result in a slightly different Napoleon. Alternatively you could place him in a city.

Edit: Better yet, why not give each culture two acquirable leaders, but locking the player to having to decide between one or the other?

I think for Humankind, historical persons are best included via narrative events and not as units. Units just feel a bit off to me, but maybe there is a good implementation some day. Now for events, there is already precedent, e. g. the „Columbus“ Event.

having a few unique events per culture and wonder wouldn‘t hurt anyway. I think only Notre Dame has some right now. There are three and they don‘t pop up every game, so they also don‘t grow too old too quickly.

Let's say, playing as the French, you'd be able to acquire Napoleon, probably with influence. You could then attach him to an army, giving it unique bonuses. Combat and victories would grant the leader XP, opening new traits. The available promotions could also be unique, making different playthroughs with the French result in a slightly different Napoleon. Alternatively you could place him in a city.
I wouldn't do that.
He would quickly overthrow you.

About the avatars, if they added multiple languages to the avatars, they will probably feel less the same to be fair, I watched the humankind livestream from Amplitude studios and got those youtuber avatars and two of them speak different languages ("Shurjoka" speaks German and "Jouer du Grenier" speaks French) and they felt like they had more personality for me then the other avatars who all speaked English. Also it annoys me sometimes when you have a leader with the same voice actor as another avatar in the game. It kind of feels like you are talking to yourself.

Last edited:
The game has a lot to improve on. The base is solid but lots of tweaking, balancing and enhancing needs to be done. But one thing I'll defend is culture swapping. Never understood the culture swapping complaints.

Even though the culture are merely most of the time bonuses, where civs in civilization are a bit more unique ( Though Endless Legend still does asymmetry far better), the whole appeal of the mechanic is adaptation and changing of playstyle on the go. Yes in Civ 6 Aztecs play different from the Mali, because they're tailored towards a certain victory condition, but you already know what to expect from them. In HK you never know if suddenly your pacifistic Harrapan neighbors all of a sudden turn into warmongering Huns. The uncertainty of the culture flipping keeps you on your toes and forces you to adapt, instead of "welp I'm playing Korea, just going to go science all game long". Plus I like the feel that you are slowing building towards the contemporary age. When you make it to that last age you kind of look back at all your previous cultures with glee, the building blocks of you civilization, your evolution through time, like how real civilizations function

Someone here said something about adding winter from Endless Legend, as a big EL fan, fudge winter, nothing more annoying than having everyone move 2 squares each turn for like 8 turns

Last edited:
My biggest complaint about the avatars is that the era costumes need some polishing and more variety. There are roughly three outfits per era that get reskinned for everyone. Some last for a couple eras. And then everyone wears the same suit in contemporary. Considering how much men's fashion has changed in the last century, we could at least get some variation in the cut of the suits...

My biggest complaint about the avatars is that the era costumes need some polishing and more variety. There are roughly three outfits per era that get reskinned for everyone. Some last for a couple eras. And then everyone wears the same suit in contemporary. Considering how much men's fashion has changed in the last century, we could at least get some variation in the cut of the suits...
I hope for a cosmetics and voice actor DLC ;-)

.....that's your biggest complaint?

I love you, Z, but THAT?
I mean, I specifically qualified that it's my biggest complaint about the avatars, not the game as a whole. The variety of costumes is too small, and many of the few there are just don't look good.

Never mind me, I apparently have not had enough coffee today.

Or too much coffee.

Definitely one or the other.

There's never too much coffee... :coffee:

Top Bottom