Humankind Mod Tools Beta Release

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick heads up that after minor technical difficulties, the modding tools are available now.
If you want to try your hand at making mods for Humankind, you can find the "Humankind Mod Tools" in the Tools category of your Steam library if you own Humankind on Steam. (Sorry, we don't have a solution for EGS and Gamepass users in place at the moment.) The first time you run them, they'll prompt you to install Unity and activate a (free) license.
Keep in mind, the tools are still in development, so some features are missing and you may encounter bugs. Notably, AI modding is not present yet, and you cannot import textures or 3D assets (though you can import images to be used in the UI.)

I'm sure there are plenty of clever modders here you can still do amazing work even if restricted to data-based modding.

You can find more info in the Beta release and Modding Basics blogs, but unfortunately I can't provide you with a full manual yet.

Hey, thank you for the information! I was wondering, are you going to modify the system so people don't have to enable the mods made with this system after they install them, re-enable those mods every time they start a game, and re-enable them again every time they load a game that was started with one of these mods active? At the risk of generalizing, it is my understanding that most people who install mods want their mods to work without having to click into some other screen to enable the mods they installed every time they start or re-load a game.

I suppose, as it's listed as a known issue in the list here
https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...46452-mods-how-to-use-and-known-issues?page=1

• Opening the mod browser while any mods are already activated causes stability problems. Pleae use it only with no mods active.
  • There is no way to save mod setups between games. You will have to manually reactivate them every time.
  • Mods are not automatically loaded when loading a save game. You will need to activate them manually before loading a save.
  • Modded savegames become unusable if the mod is updated. There is currently no way to opt out of automatic mod updates.
  • There are no compatibility checks between mods. Be careful about mods that modify the same game content.
  • Mods with the same name cause User Interface issues and only one of them will be shown.
  • Mods cannot currently be downloaded in the Mac version.

Yes, I saw that. :) I am wondering what the plan is for revising this going forward and the time frame too, I suppose. I'm also wondering when it will be available for Mac, as I do the vast majority of modding on a Mac. All our mods are tested in Windows (of course), but they're made on a Mac.

I was initially dismayed by the Mac caveat; however, now, I'm simply baffled. I downloaded FoxFox's Oarly Boats mod and plopped it in the modifications folder. Works like a charm. So, maybe Mac copies can't directly download via Mod.io, but it's worth a try.

Yes, I saw that. :) I am wondering what the plan is for revising this going forward and the time frame too, I suppose. I'm also wondering when it will be available for Mac, as I do the vast majority of modding on a Mac. All our mods are tested in Windows (of course), but they're made on a Mac.
I don't know the specific plans. If I recall correctly, Endless Space 2 saved the list of active mods when you quit the game. And in Endless Legend, you could save a playlist. So probably something similar to that, but I am not sure.

I was initially dismayed by the Mac caveat; however, now, I'm simply baffled. I downloaded FoxFox's Oarly Boats mod and plopped it in the modifications folder. Works like a charm. So, maybe Mac copies can't directly download via Mod.io, but it's worth a try.
Yes, as far as I know, only the automatic downloading is broken. Installing them manually should probably still work. No guarantees, though.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any news about importing 3D assets (and the textures to go with them.) But I know it's a complicated problem, and there are many tasks our programmers need to be working on, so I don't think we can expect it any time soon, sorry.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any news about importing 3D assets (and the textures to go with them.) But I know it's a complicated problem, and there are many tasks our programmers need to be working on, so I don't think we can expect it any time soon, sorry.

Thanks for your very quick response.

I certainly hope we can add official support for adding 3D models sooner rather than later, because I expect there are a lot of cool things modders would like to do, from more historical cultures to total conversions...

Hello. :) Thank you Catoninetales and Amplitude for making these modding tools. I have a question about locating unit meshes, if anyone could please help me?

I've been able to locate individual files for equipment like helmets, shields, and weapons -- But how can I find specific body meshes of units? For example, I am searching for the body meshes of the Tribe units.

Is this type of information stored in JSON files? If so, how do I read them? Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,
uberlithic

Unit_LandUnit_Era0_Common_Tribesmen.png
Tribe.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom