Humankind - Turks discussion thread

This is kind of an odd one. Can someone explain why the Turks would be agrarian? I'm really curious.

Sure, they can have a "Public School" but it's not like that's unique at all. Why is a Public School unique to the Turks? This quarter should REALLY have a better name because it is the most head-scratchingly generic as of now.

I do like the stealth missile.

This is kind of an odd one. Can someone explain why the Turks would be agrarian? I'm really curious.

Sure, they can have a "Public School" but it's not like that's unique at all. Why is a Public School unique to the Turks? This quarter should REALLY have a better name because it is the most head-scratchingly generic as of now.
Maybe the public school needs to be build in foreign cities? :mischief:

I like the art, it really reminds me of Istanbul. But the Public School has to be the lamest “emblematic” district yet.

I’m struggling to really get a feel for the late game cultures so far. Maybe it’s just more exciting to play as civs from the past, but none of them feel that enticing to me.

I know we don’t know how the final era is going to play out yet but I’m struggling to get a sense of how any of these infrastructures are going to give you a decisive late game boost. Allowing trailing civs to remain competitive is vital for the endgame to be at all worthwhile.

I know than some have already found than turkey is really important in agriculture export, but personnally I don't really believe than choices are made from diverse ranking or stats so far (like gpd, scientific papers, etc ...). I guess this choice was made to not design Turkey about recent politics (a lot of poeple were calling militarist). When turkey state is born, and before than tourism become that important, or more recently their softpower too, they can totally be defined as an agrarian society atleast in inner country; it is rather striking. And I guess there is all this secondary meaning about their love for their land, the large and diverse population of istanbul, etc ... :p
I would say than Merchant was probably fitting too. Aesthete for the softpower / influence / tourism is okay, but would be a bit an hot topic, when the country is well-know for the several imprisonment of thinkers and artists, censorships, control of media, etc.

For the EQ, for me it's more a naming issue. The quarters are not supposed to be unique, but emblematic. They probably wanted to speak about the Ataturk reforms with this EQ, but here it's hard to understand, and I expect a lot of poeple will find it bland.
As always, a good district, in civ or humankind, is just a good reference to an iconic trivia through a building concept or a fonction (a palace for exemple), and an obvious naming, to share the idea, and not making it misleading.

The EU is a smart choice.

Last edited:
I know than some have already found than turkey is really important in agriculture export, but personnally I don't really believe than choices are made from diverse ranking or stats so far (like gpd, scientific papers, etc ...). I guess this choice was made to not design Turkey about recent politics (a lot of poeple were calling militarist). When turkey state is born, and before than tourism become that important, or more recently their softpower too, they can totally be defined as an agrarian society atleast in inner country; it is rather striking. And I guess there is all this secondary meaning about their love for their land, the large and diverse population of istanbul, etc ... :p
I would say than Merchant was probably fitting too. Aesthete for the softpower / influence / tourism is okay, but would be a bit an hot topic, when the country is well-know for the several imprisonment of thinkers and artists (already since Ataturk), censorships, control of media, etc.

For the EQ, for me it's more a naming issue. The quarters are not supposed to be unique, but emblematic. They probably wanted to speak about the Ataturk reforms with this EQ, but here it's hard to understand, and I expect a lot of poeple will find it bland.
As always, a good district, in civ or humankind, is just a good reference to an iconic trivia through a building concept or a fonction (a palace for exemple), and an obvious naming, to share the idea, and not making it misleading.

The EU is a smart choice.
Agreed with all of this. I do think that the EQ is a nice nod to those educational reforms but the name is just...not evocative of Turkish culture. At all.

They really went politically safe (aggression-wise) by not naming anyone as a militarist for this era, but I can understand why.

None of the modern emblematic names are though, they are all generic.

The public school is a nice nod to Ataturk, and besides the agrarian products, there is also the insane population growth that points to agrarian.

I'm more interested in whether that ability helps a lot in the gameplay od the last era?

And lastly, the Ottomans-Turks split is one of the reasons why the culture per era system makes so much sense, so they kinda had to have them.

Ha! Turkey was in many of mine (constantly changing) modern era rosters. They do make sense as probably the most powerful (and the best functioning) Muslim country in the world over the period of last 100 years. On top of that, this means Ottomans get a follow up, which is always a plus.

I find it bizarre, however, that they are Agrarian. Turkey seemed to me like an obvious Aestethe country. Very powerful in tourism, very recognizable art and aestethics, proverbial Turkish carpets, highly internationally successful literature, well developed and internationally expanding cinema (grandmas in Poland loved that soap opera about Suleiman)... Seriously why agrarian?

It's not like Turkey is major producer of agro products, right? Let me check my old notes on the subject (I checked major global producers of stuff)

"Turkey has been the world's eight largest agricultural producer since 2008. As of 2016, Turkey is the world's largest producer of hazelnuts, cherries, figs, apricots and pomegranates; the second-largest producer of quinces and watermelons; the third-largest producer of cucumbers, green peppers, lentils and pistachios; the fourth-largest producer of apples, tomatoes, eggplants and olives; the fifth-largest producer of tea, chickpeas and sugar beet, the sixth-largest producer of almonds and onions; the seventh-largest producer of lemons, grapefruits and cotton; and the eighth-largest producer of barley."

Nevermind, I am perfectly fine with Turkey being agrarian.

I think that art card may be my favorite in the game. :love: Agrarian is somewhat unexpected but makes sense. I like to cook Middle Eastern food, and a lot of my imported ingredients are either from Turkey or Lebanon.

It's my understanding (Which is based on Civ V civilopedia so probably not that accurate," Turkey is the only country today that's agriculturally self-sufficient. So agrarian makes sense for them. The Public School's a bit odd though.

It's my understanding (Which is based on Civ V civilopedia so probably not that accurate," Turkey is the only country today that's agriculturally self-sufficient. So agrarian makes sense for them. The Public School's a bit odd though.
Look up Ataturk's educational reforms - it is appropriate, the name is just...bland

Turkey is the only country today that's agriculturally self-sufficient
Sounds strange. I feel insulted for my country btw.
Also what is the definition of that? If we import let say bananas - are we self-sufficient? Or the seaweeds? How did they measure that?

No problems with Turks btw. They are awesome. :)

Turkey is the only country today that's agriculturally self-sufficient.
Then how come the Netherlands is the world's second largest agricultural exporter? How do you mean this?

Then how come the Netherlands is the world's second largest agricultural exporter? How do you mean this?

The Netherlands' ranking is based on importing raw food, processing it, and then exporting it. The value-added from the processing is what bumps up the value of their agricultural exports to 2nd behind the U.S.

Turkey used to be "self-sufficient" for agriculture back in the 80s, but I understand it no longer is. And that's likely a good thing. The productivity of agriculture, like so many other things, is based on specialization, exporting what you do well, importing what others do well. Turkey's agricultural industry seems like it's been robust enough through the modern era to support the Agrarian label for game purposes.

Thank you for your reply! :)

The Netherlands' ranking is based on importing raw food, processing it, and then exporting it. The value-added from the processing is what bumps up the value of their agricultural exports to 2nd behind the U.S.

Turkey used to be "self-sufficient" for agriculture back in the 80s, but I understand it no longer is. And that's likely a good thing. The productivity of agriculture, like so many other things, is based on specialization, exporting what you do well, importing what others do well. Turkey's agricultural industry seems like it's been robust enough through the modern era to support the Agrarian label for game purposes.

Thirty years or so ago when the US Army stationed me in Germany, whenever I visited a weekend market - from Wiesbaden to Hanau to Aschaffenburg to Rothenburg - the most common labels on every produce crate were Turkish or Israeli. Israel exported a huge percentage of citrus and other 'hot climate' produce to western Europe, but Turkey exported a wide range of Everything: vegetables, fruits, and other unprocessed foodstuffs of all kinds. Note that these were markets in relatively small cities/towns rather than the apex cities, so the penetration of the European market by Turkish agriculture was pretty comprehensive and thorough

@Boris Gudenuf Turkish agriculture is ok, no problems with that.
We just don't agree with the opinion above that they are the only nation that is self-sufficient.

@Boris Gudenuf Turkish agriculture is ok, no problems with that.
We just don't agree with the opinion above that they are the only nation that is self-sufficient.

"Self sufficient" needs to be carefully defined before you start any discussion. There are a number of modern nations that are net Food Exporters, but that doesn't mean they don't import food of other types as well. And modern economics means that even if you can, you don't always grow everything you want/need because transportation costs are relatively low compared to the cost of setting up the 'production chain' for some of the agricultural materials. If it is available cheaper from foreign sources, then absent some pressing political/diplomatic consideration, it will be bought and imported rather than 'grown locally'.

Trust me I know that. :)
We export a lot of crops. We export a lot of wheat. But you know what - in June we import the wheat from Turkey. Why? Because they are to the south so they harvest wheat in Juna and we do it in July. It's cheaper to by and export "fresh" wheat compared to storing it for almost a year from July to June. So yeah, modern economy is quite unexpected sometimes.

Top Bottom