Humankind_Swedish and Soviets discussion thread

I think these threads are too early to post since we don't have any official announcements or confirmations of cultures from the various Amplitude social media channels that we have. It leaves an impression from those who are just following the development of the game that these cultures are confirmed at this moment.

Again, without proper announcement, we don't really know anything about Swedes and Soviets. Besides, the Swedes EU is very likely their stealth corvette, rather than aircraft.

Where have you gotten that information from or is it just guess?
Because the only naval exclusive unit has stealth capability and does not need strategic resources, this conjecture is reasonable, but there is no 100% proof.

The images on contemporary units I can find have blurried text making it unreadable and if readable we should know all 10 contemporary cultures by this point.

Because the only naval exclusive unit has stealth capability and does not need strategic resources, this conjecture is reasonable, but there is no 100% proof.

I feel like a submarine of some sort would make more sense as a stealth naval unit.

Submarines are classified as torpedo ships, while the characteristic unit is armored ships.
Armored ship sound like what a battleship would be described as. Contemporary starting in 1920 could definitively fit in battleships and by that I don't mean future specutalitive ships.

There will probably be a submarine unit in contemporary era which everyone can build.
You are right. There is a general submarine unit in modern times. In the industrial era, only the Germans had U-boats, and the others had surface torpedo ships that could not be stealth.∵

You are right. There is a general submarine unit in modern times. In the industrial era, only the Germans had U-boats, and the others had surface torpedo ships that could not be stealth.∵
I don't know how widely used submarines was during industrial era, which in humankind is ca 1700 to ca 1920 if I'm not wrong. Submarines would only exist I think the last 50 years or so of that era and germany used them the most during ww1 and also during ww2, but ww2 is in contemporary era.

Surface stealth ships seems alot later, like 1980 and used by less countries.

Five naval types
Boarding Vessel Armoured Vessel
Naval Transpot Gun Platform
Torpedo Vessel

I don't know how widely used submarines was during industrial era, which in humankind is ca 1700 to ca 1920 if I'm not wrong. Submarines would only exist I think the last 50 years or so of that era and germany used them the most during ww1 and also during ww2, but ww2 is in contemporary era.

Surface stealth ships seems alot later, like 1980 and used by less countries.
During the first World War, submarines have been widely used in various countries, but in the late industrial era of games, submarines were patented by Germany.The stealth warships appeared after the 1980s, and only a few countries have them.

So roughly?:
  • Boarding Vessel = destroyer
  • Armoured Vessel = cruiser
  • Gun Platform = battleship
  • Torpedo Vessel = torpedo ship/submarine

I'd bet there are a lot more Attributes for naval units. For one thing, there has to be something to designate the early ships (galleys, Biremes, etc) that cannot safely go into the Deep Ocean. And the attributes given can probably be assigned through the Eras to more than one type or kind of vessel: Boarding would refer to most 'combat' ships before gunpowder, like the Langskip and Cog, while Armoured Vessel (and why the British spelling?) would be an obvious attribute for the early Ironclads, whose major feature was that compared to other ships in the same Era they were Armored.

During the first World War, submarines have been widely used in various countries, but in the late industrial era of games, submarines were patented by Germany.The stealth warships appeared after the 1980s, and only a few countries have them.

Not really. John P. Holland had most of the 'submarine' patents, and the US Navy bought its first submarine from him around 1900. Germany by far made the widest use of submarines before 1920, though, which is what makes a U-Boat Emblematic Unit for Industrial Germany appropriate.

The modern definition of "Stealth" mostly refers to masking radar, sonar, magnetic and infrared imaging. That means it is hard to apply to some types of warships, like Aircraft Carriers or large Cruisers.
Earlier, though, "Stealth" warships were either Commerce Raiders who didn't look like warships at all until they opened fire - again, mostly used by Germany in both World Wars - or the British 'Q-Ships' of WWI, which looked like ordinary freighters until a U-Boat surfaced nearby, and then opened fire with hidden guns to damage the U-Boat so it couldn't submerge again.

It will be interesting to see how widely the 'Stealth' attribute gets applied - it could even apply to the Pirates of the 17th - 18th century, since usually their main defense against warships was not to be recognized.

Endless legend use boarding vessel for a melee type ship, however humankind seems to do away with melee combat as tech progress.

It seems that Soviets affinity like americans will be expansionist. Swedes, if they are even in the game, their affinity is less clear, seems the 3 main guess are merchant, aesthete and scientist, but obviously it don't have to be one of these.

Top Bottom