I cant stand this.....

One problem I have is that I tend to get impatient when setting up my attack force and send in half prepared attack forces, which normally ends up with alot of casulties, lost cities that could have been defended etc. I get mad, leave the game, come back 10mins later and try it again. Will I ever learn? :rolleyes:

eldar said:
You're the Ottomans, and Saltpeter isn't important?! Sipahi utterly rule, even when faced with Infantry and Tanks.
Not that I disagree or anything, but I'm currently playing a game with the Ottomans and my Sipahis are doing horribly. An army of 15 vet Sipahi trying to take a city of 1 vet spear and 1 reg pike, and I take that city with only 1 remaining redlined Sipahi. I'm attacking from a hill not across any river and the city is on a grassland.

After that attack, the only though running through my mind was "What the heck are those peeps thinking when they say that Sipahi rules???????"

berserks01 said:
Not that I disagree or anything, but I'm currently playing a game with the Ottomans and my Sipahis are doing horribly. An army of 15 vet Sipahi trying to take a city of 1 vet spear and 1 reg pike, and I take that city with only 1 remaining redlined Sipahi. I'm attacking from a hill not across any river and the city is on a grassland.

After that attack, the only though running through my mind was "What the heck are those peeps thinking when they say that Sipahi rules???????"
My (admittedly limited) experience with Sipahis is to use artillary to soften up the cities before sending them in.

That sounds about as bad of an rng as you could have gotten. That should have been zero losses.

Indeed. But attacking from a hill gives no bonus, just so you know.

Renata

Seems like attacking from a higher position would give you some sort of bonus, but alas.

The reason players do not want to let attackers get on a hill next to their city is not that it confers a bonus to the attacker, but that it gives a bonus when you want to counter attack it.

Renata said:
Indeed. But attacking from a hill gives no bonus, just so you know.
How about attacking from mountains? I thought attacking from a higher position give some kind of bonus .... At least defending an attacking from a higher position (mountains/hills) I usually loose more often than win.

Sounds like another RNG nightmare even if the city had walls and the units were obviosely fortified. Possibley veterans/elite by the time they had won a few fights as well it shoud still of been one sided. Have to ask tho was the city being attacked on hills or have a river going through it ? Even so that should only allow for small loses.

Ah, but seeing a MGL bite the dust after you finally wax that elite spearman with your 8th cav makes it all worthwhile.

Himalia said:
Sounds like another RNG nightmare even if the city had walls and the units were obviosely fortified. Possibley veterans/elite by the time they had won a few fights as well it shoud still of been one sided. Have to ask tho was the city being attacked on hills or have a river going through it ? Even so that should only allow for small loses.
The city is on a river, but I'm attacking on the same side of the river as the city, so I don't loose attack points by crossing the river.

Ah well, the game's done and over with, and I've already gotten my dom victory. If I knew how this random seed thing works, I'd have done it and upload a save for you guys to actually experience this horrific rng nightmare with me :mischief:

Just trying to imagine it a section here with the saves of the all time worse RNG nightmares. Would be amusing to see some when it all goes right as well. Something ive heard of but never had in my favour. The best result ive ever had is a warrioe defeating a fortified spearman and a rifleman defeating another rifleman. Not all that great but it seemed it at the time.

Civ3man said:
Armies are also a good choice for getting rid of pesky defenders that just refuse to die.

I had an army of 3 elite (7.9.1) infantry die attacking a veteran static infantry unit (6.7.1) fortified in a hilled city and with 1 hp left! Not nice.

Brain said:
I find that catapults have a lower hit rate than that because sometimes they hit the city instead of the units defending the city. I think 2 catapults per hit point is a good rule of thumb. So if you're up against 2 veteran spearmen you need about 12 catapults to red-line the spearmen. I know that's a lot of catapults, but it's cheaper to build siege weapons that don't "wear down" in combat than to build a huge stack of offensive units to conquer several cities.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I love Catapults, I always do a Catapult/ Spearman / Swordsman SoD. And with 2 catapults bombardments, I redline the vet spearmna in the AI's capital.

i am one of the worst losers when it comes bad rng loses. i generally curse a lot , mumble how unfair it all is, and keep on complaining about numbers(how the **** can i lose 3 different 6 vs 3's on flat ground w/ out even taking off a hp, it's so ****ing unfair i can't stand it, **** this mother ****ing cheating, ******* of a game. why do i even play this cheating a hole. then a lot more cussing and *****ing before i finally reorganize and keep playing). and if the loss is really bad i will throw my headphones to the ground, occasionally jumping off my chair and crumbling to to my knees on the ground. if anyone was watching me it would be absurd but i just can't take it sometimes. the same thing happened when i played original panzer general and i actually took cd out of game and snapped it in half. then i wanted to play 30 minutes later.

after reading some of the comments here, i recently decided to start praying to the rng and trying to get on it's good side. so far it has worked resonably well.

Dachspmg said:
Fifteen archers attacking a three-hp veteran warrior, no rivers, both on plains. I lost 9 :mad: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: of them before the warrior died. Needless to say, I burnt an offering to the RNG gods and subsequently took a size-7 city on a hill across a river, defended by spears, with the remainder of my archers.

It's all RNG.

When I lose something like that I say "that ain't gonna fly, Mr. Wright" and reload from autosave. Call it cheating if you want, but I don't accept results like that.

a lot of times I react the same as el toro, afterward I try to record the battle and remember it later as one of the great battles in history which I finally overcame.

VladTepes said:
When I lose something like that I say "that ain't gonna fly, Mr. Wright" and reload from autosave. Call it cheating if you want, but I don't accept results like that.

Preach it! :lol:

It seems to me that sometimes we get crappy attack results when we're attacking a city defended by an army. There's no way of telling until the MGL falls that that's what you've been up against. (I still remember this vividly from sending waves of MI against what I thought was just a few pikemen and getting my a** handed to me. :mad: )

I also still contend that the defence bonus from being on a hill/mountain/forest still applies when you're the attacker -- it doesn't help your attack per se, but when they punch back, it doesn't seem to hurt as much (i.e. your defend value goes up). I know it shouldn't work that way, but it seems to for me on a pretty consistant basis.

Top Bottom