I didn't want to found another religion...

NuWorld said:
True, but if you have 3 or more religions in your cities and built all available temples, monasteries and cathedrals, you can wage war forevere, unhappiness is no problem. In my last game (culture win on prince) I had 5 religions in all cities, war wearyness was no problem.

If I may ask, how do you get any of the early religions when the AI researches faster than you? On Noble even with Gandhi, I could get only Taoism or Islam... Hints please!

@ Bloody Diamonds:

If you have it on any difficulty lower than noble, the AI gets a modifier that slows everything of theirs (btw I ment Chieftain in my last post, not warlord like I originally had:crazyeye: ), so that helps. Also, if you just focus on those 2 techs, and they are the first two you go for (religous civs start with mysticism), you get them about 1/2 the time. USUALLY, I don't even bother, even on easy difficulty levels, but I got lucky that time;) . I think I guessed China would go for Buddhism first, then Hinduism, and I was right, and beat him to both (you only need to research the first one 1 turn faster than the computer to get both in most cases). I think by the time Judism was up for grabs, I was already well ahead of him.

Bloody Diamonds said:
If I may ask, how do you get any of the early religions when the AI researches faster than you? On Noble even with Gandhi, I could get only Taoism or Islam... Hints please!

If you start with Meditation, go for Polytheism straight from he beginning. Works almost all the time at least up to Emperor level.

I could see only wanting one religion from a roleplay point of view but it's advantageous to have as many as possible present in your empire. It lets you build more temples and monasteries and if you found them and build the shrines you can rack up more gold. There really is no negative aspect to it.

Bloody Diamonds said:

On Noble with Gandhi:

Research Polytheism (Hinduism), then Masonry, then Monotheism (Judaism), then rush to Writing; it is key to several other techs.

HAHAHA at first I played like the topicstarter. I wanted all my cities having one religion. But I understood that having more religions doesn't have a penalty. So in every game I tried to discover the religions and than made lots of temples in those cities. I got amazing culture and got more money. So it became easier to win the game. For example: the cities I founded first mostly have 4-6 religions each, depends on how many religions I discovered.

This of course gives my economy a real boust. But I have to say that I don't like this aspect of the game because it's just not realistic. Many religions in a city will produce more culture I can agree with that. I can understand the economic advantage too. Having two religions will bring unhappiness too!!!!!

NuWorld said:
True, but if you have 3 or more religions in your cities and built all available temples, monasteries and cathedrals, you can wage war forevere, unhappiness is no problem.

If you spend all your time building all those buildings, when do you find time to build units to wage war?

On Prince, I'm lucky if I can get just the temple monestary and cathedral in a few cities as I fend off the heathens at the borders!

-TSteamer

TSteamer said:
If you spend all your time building all those buildings, when do you find time to build units to wage war?
-TSteamer

You don't. Build just enough to whip anyone who invades, then turn your attention to building up your cities, researching technologies, and CASH. (plutocrat speaking).

Honestly, though, I can play a game in which I don't fight any major wars at all, and I still end up near the top. Of course, sometimes someone really gets pissed off and declares war on me, but then I serenely let him attack while he beats his head against my cities and forts for the next ten turns, gains nothing, and gives up. Oh, and I have so much cash--from founding three religions, having three Shrines, spending my time building up my economy and trading like no other--and so much technology that I can get everyone but his best friends to declare war on him. I let everyone else do the fighting, while I relax.

Tavenier said:
1915 - 1918: WW1 won by allies, including Italy.
1936: War against Ethiopia/Abbesinia won by Italy.

Neither one was a real victory...

Another disadvantage:
If your civ starts far away from all of the spiritual civs in your game, you can found one religion and be fairly confident that no one nearby will covert to anything other than your religion, and with the same religion diplomatic bonus, this can help you avoid wars with your neighbours, while the AI spiritual civs will regularly change religion and get into wars over it.

Not much of a disadvantge, but still...

Top Bottom