I dislike Fin/Org. Help.

muxec

Prince
Something is wrong with me. I guess I just suck at cottage spamming. Unless I press myself very hard I end up with hammer economy or at least SE. Something stops me from cottage spamming all the time. Maybe I have a subconscious idea that cottage spamming is dishonorable, I don't know. Any suggestions?

I think our Civ4 tile-improvement preferences need to get together and make babies Muxec. :lol:

I find that I too often take city specialization to an extreme and end up with slow-growing, hammer-poor cottage heavens. I mean they can be as good as a gold mine! In every tile!

It was instructive to me to see what others did in the soon-to-be-concluded CEO Shaka/Hostile Takeover game (I know you have been following it, but any others reading this thread, I am referring to http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319150). To see places like New Riverside with a fairly even mix of farms, mines, watermills, and cottages definitely illustrated a way to balance city needs.

--

To answer your question, it's certainly not difficult to make cottages. Just press "t" when you have a worker selected :D Even some currently-playing SG's demonstrate that SE's and Hammer-Economies can work on higher levels, so I think to some degree it's a matter of preference and personal play style, which is how a game should be ideally. In my opinion cottages are just easier to use and don't really require that much micromanagement.

Something is wrong with me. I guess I just suck at cottage spamming. Unless I press myself very hard I end up with hammer economy or at least SE. Something stops me from cottage spamming all the time. Maybe I have a subconscious idea that cottage spamming is dishonorable, I don't know. Any suggestions?

Cottage spamming isn't dishonorable. Don't worry. :goodjob:

Do what I do when I want to get acquainted with a game mechanic I don't really like - play a game in which you resolve to use it to a ridiculous extent. Along the lines of 'maximum number of cottages outside of 1 production city and 1 GP farm'.

With such a focus on economy, you should tech quite well... and once you have mature cottages with the appropriate cities you don't need production. Towns on rushbuy outperform even fully boosted workshops with standard multipliers.

Set rules for yourself. Play a game where you vow to cottage every tile that is not a hill nor has a special resource on it. It's worked for me.

heh i cottage spam too much, Lately I ahve moved away from the same old pyramids+ SE that Ive been using as some civs, and turned towards a more hybrid based economy.

If i cant make up my mind about a citys specialization, which is quite often, I just turn it into a cottage monster.

Late game, I got heroic epic and ironworks still to build, I first of all have hard time navigating throu all my cottages to find the best prod (river tiles, and city on river, so that I get levee and hydro plant). Then I gotta replace those cottages, and for that I gotta first find my automated or fortified workers

:D

So funny. While I play my best games with Fin/Org someone else has a hard time using them :D
I've developed into a more hybrid style, but most of my cities are cottage cities as it keeps the money coming in eventually. Still I make sure to have GP farm and production/military city. Ofcourse it still depends on the land you get, but I get the feeling i'm making quite big steps atm.

I beat monarch with Qin while I went almost bankrupt after the initial axe rush and got behind seriously in tech which normally caused me quit, but for once I persisted and ofcourse got out of the hole and dominated the world. Right now playing emperor and it's looking pretty good. Maybe my next game on Immortal :D

Top Bottom