I finally solved my specific memory/CTD problem!

Lahdoz

Noble
Fist off, I have been troubleshooting this specific game since the day C4 was released, and have tried it on dozens of hardware configurations (from old P2s with 256M on up) This particular issue, to be detailed below, has been bothering me as I knew it had to do with hardware. I have been able to play plenty, as I have found very few computers that can't play.

My primary game machine has...

Asus A8N
Athlon 64 3700
ATI x800 Pro AGP
2x512 Kingston Value RAM PC 3200

at the core of the system.

I have had the most problems with this game relating to memory issues. I determined a while ago that I could use this particular system with the memory in single channel configuration, but I would CTD constantly in dual channel configuration. I could however game with 2x256 in dual channel with no problems. Both memory sets I'm focusing on are listed as compatible with my motherboard.

Strange...

I continued playing in single channel, and didn't think about it much until recently.

I have been shopping for memory, and looking around on a few forums seeking answers. I want to run in dual channel mode as I'm not truly benefitting from my systems bandwidth with the memory in single channel.

I was ready to pull the trigger and spend, when an I noticed something. Every memory kit advertised as dual channel had low latencies. I did some research on memory timing, tested what I had, and found some specs. My particluar memory was running at 3-3-3-8 @ 2.6v. Doesn't mean much until you get to hardcore performance. The 2x256 kit had lower/better timing.

I was still ready to buy some faster memory. Something with either 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 timing.

Now a little diversion. I have been assembling computers and components for nearly 20 years, and I am currently a professional in the technical field. I have not overclocked anything in the past, and still don't recommend it to anybody. It generally reduces the lifespan of any component that falls victim to unbridled overclocking, but I just had to try...

I did a lot of research, down to the specific chips on my memory sticks. I properly, and mildly, overclocked my current memory after doing many hours of research. I ran tests for a few days (about 36 hours of actual testing) on a few configurations, and found one that worked and I was comfortable with.

I finally had a working dual channel setup! Faster memory was the key to getting my system working at it's full potential! No more CTDs!

I could game with the other setup (single channel), but taking the time, doing a lot of research, testing, and experimentation with my own configuration, was what it took for me to conquor my problems.

What I experienced may not help anybody, but it shows what a little patience and attention to details can do. Plus I had to rant since I finally got it running right on the system I want to game with!

Top Bottom