I Just Want To Loved

Old&Slow

Chieftain
The Egyptians, who are annoyed with me ( only the AI and Sid know why ) have sent several stacks into my Territory for 5 turns now.

Each time I say to Cleo in the Diplo. screen " Remove them or declare war " they apologize and leave.

In another game against Persia this went on for 15+ turns until I walled them out at the choke points with fortresses, no can do here.

I don`t want to take the hit for a DOW, but this Arms Race as I keep building units is killing my Research, which I`m behind on, and I don`t have any Gold to buy her off with since I bribed the French several turns back.

Any ideas out there ?

I do not think you are her target, if so she would have declared war by now. Most likely she is trying to get that army across your terriority to attack another CIV.

Ision

you could sign a ROP with the offending civ - at least then you can get something for them trespassing.

Originally posted by Ision
I do not think you are her target, if so she would have declared war by now. Most likely she is trying to get that army across your terriority to attack another CIV.

Ision

Now that`s a posibility, she is on my East and a weak Rome is on my North West Border. The Roman units I can see go to a defensive stance when she moves in and their Workers go into a City.

I`ll try the ROP idea, however if she is after me and gets past my defended Border with that 25 unit stack it`s all over for me.

I can always blame Foreign Minister Hawkster if it goes wrong:D

Being a Great Leader is about choices I guess.

From my experience, the computer never gathers soldiers to some country's boarders and then declares war. It first wages war and then sends soldiers.

The enemy is pissed at you because whenever they move their units to your boarders you tell them to leave, ever tought of that?

Originally posted by Cornflake
From my experience, the computer never gathers soldiers to some country's boarders and then declares war. It first wages war and then sends soldiers.

The enemy is pissed at you because whenever they move their units to your boarders you tell them to leave, ever tought of that?

Wrong, they first move massive stacks _inside my borders_ and Then I tell them to leave.

In any case Ision was correct, they moved through and attacked a size 7 Chinese city outside of my terriorty.

Usually, the AI dumps a bunch of units from galleys and transports onto my coast, and then declares. Crazy rulers... :p

There's a very easy way to aviod all of this. Just have a larger army then your opponents, and nobody (except Bismarck and Shaka :)) will go through your land.

It is a one of my many virtues that I am not the kind of person to say, "I told you so".

hey, old & slow...........

................ I TOLD YOU SO!

Ision

Not true. I recently had a civ send troops across my borders, declare war, and take the city on the same turn. I didn't think they did that either. I guess it was tempting since it wasn't defended at all (it was a new city).

Originally posted by DS_Legionary
There's a very easy way to aviod all of this. Just have a larger army then your opponents, and nobody (except Bismarck and Shaka :)) will go through your land.

That does work, but I hate the idea to bury so much resources into an army just to deter trespassers.

Then, what usually happens is that I annex the offending country instead, which, while requring less troops, isn't exactly free either.

Originally posted by ps2master2001

Not true. I recently had a civ send troops across my borders, declare war, and take the city on the same turn. I didn't think they did that either. I guess it was tempting since it wasn't defended at all (it was a new city).

It happens very often with me. I don't know if it's true but it seems that AI civs don't care to their reputation.

The only tip to see if they are going to attack me is when they cancel all trades with me and don't want to make any new trade, they don't accept any luxuries even paying only 1 gold.

I've noticed that the AI doesn't like declaring war on you if you have a RoP with them. Therefore if you can get them to sign one with you you should be safe. Plus they will like you more for it. :)

I have seen that only once, and it was in the first Civ3 Demogame. Greece was massing spears, pikes, muskets at their eastern border for over 500-1000 years in game-time. Once they hit Nationalism, they were upgraded, and sent over our civ's border (demogame, remember), and attacked the Iroquois. (They were eventually pushed back, since they were attacking across the mountains...). It was quite an impressive sight.

I've even had 2 civs wage a war over a river in the middle of my territory. But, one thing to watch out for is when the AI sends 1 or 2 lone units into your territory. Most likely, those are "resource pillaging" units that are a precursor to an invasion. If you let them on a resource, they'll declare war.

But, if the enemy is furious, they could be planning a sneak attack on a border city of yours - OR, maybe you broke a treaty.

My best advice:

--Get RoP
--Build lots of defensive units (at least that depending on the age).
--try and make some agreements with them (like i'll give you silk if you give me ivory).
--station any extra units around key points (resources, etc.).

GL HF!

Top Bottom