I laughed at this

firecat318

Warlord
So I'm playing a OCC trying for a cultural victory. Everything is going good and I'm now at 200 turns without war (Except early on I obliterated Russia because they were picking on my city state allies to the north). Now Oda Nubunga (sp?) decides hes going to be a little instigator. I notice his borders getting ever closer to mine but then a few turns ago he really let the cat out of the bag.

He settled a city RIGHT ON MY BORDER. Anyways next turn...

Then he proceeded to declare war on me, followed by Ghandi, Askia and Ram..(Siam). So far he hasn't even attacked once but I've destroyed his border city and my City States are also terrorizing him to great effect.

So he settled right next to you for the resource, thought that you were too close to him, so he declared war on you?

So he settled right next to you for the resource, thought that you were too close to him, so he declared war on you?

For the Iron? I'm sure he had other iron since he has a bunch of Samurai. Yes that's what he did.

For the Iron? I'm sure he had other iron since he has a bunch of Samurai. Yes that's what he did.

And you wouldn't do the same thing if the situation was reversed?

Edit: I agree that it's funny, pretty underhanded but good to see some initiative from the AI.

I blame a loss I had the other day on the AI's misunderstanding of expanding borders. I'm Haroun of Arabia, and I'm trying to play a peaceful mercantile/tehc game. The Aztecs decide to declare on me (for whatever reason), so in retaliation I take their capital, discovering that just a few turns before this Babylon had taken their only other city. A few turns later Babylon complains that I'm too close to their borders (our two conquered, neighbouring cities), and so declares war on me. Once again I retaliate by taking the offending city from its clearly incompetent owner. So now I border Japan, who get uppity about how close I am, and how my borders have expanded right on to theirs, and guess what? More war. Once again, the retaliation, and now I'm bordering Babylon again, who have learned nothing from our previous engagement.

After snaking up a few more cities from Babylon (literally, I was being 'forced' to conquer a straight line of cities because of this stupid behaviour), they sue for peace and I think I finally can get back to teching peacefully - my current borders are only shared with the Babylonians who shouldn't be trying anything soon. My mistake, now the rest of the AI start telling me off for what a warmonger I've been, how dare I be constantly declared war on and can they have a go? So three AI dogpile me and eventually I'm crushed by the never-ending tide of random AI declarations of war due to it's own behaviour.

Or possibly I lost because I decided not to keep up with the military game, who knows :p

I blame a loss I had the other day on the AI's misunderstanding of expanding borders. I'm Haroun of Arabia, and I'm trying to play a peaceful mercantile/tehc game. The Aztecs decide to declare on me (for whatever reason), so in retaliation I take their capital, discovering that just a few turns before this Babylon had taken their only other city. A few turns later Babylon complains that I'm too close to their borders (our two conquered, neighbouring cities), and so declares war on me. Once again I retaliate by taking the offending city from its clearly incompetent owner. So now I border Japan, who get uppity about how close I am, and how my borders have expanded right on to theirs, and guess what? More war. Once again, the retaliation, and now I'm bordering Babylon again, who have learned nothing from our previous engagement.

After snaking up a few more cities from Babylon (literally, I was being 'forced' to conquer a straight line of cities because of this stupid behaviour), they sue for peace and I think I finally can get back to teching peacefully - my current borders are only shared with the Babylonians who shouldn't be trying anything soon. My mistake, now the rest of the AI start telling me off for what a warmonger I've been, how dare I be constantly declared war on and can they have a go? So three AI dogpile me and eventually I'm crushed by the never-ending tide of random AI declarations of war due to it's own behaviour.

Or possibly I lost because I decided not to keep up with the military game, who knows :p

That is pretty hilarious. Couldn't you have just destroyed one of the cities instead of conquering it? This should have broken the chain.

I had the same thing happen to me in my current game.

I was refusing Japan Open Borders because I did not trust him.

He was off to the east of me and Hiawatha was to the north. I playing on a Large Earth map with starting bias turned off as America. My starting point was right on the Nile river.

So I finally did give him access and he goes and builds a city three spaces from my border.

He than decides to declare war on me and at the same time so did Hiawatha.

Hiawatha did nothing though he did lose a few units. Japan lost many units along with a city that I razed.

Though I think Hiawatha was planning on back stabbing Japan since about 5 turn later me declares war on Japan.

I do expect that I will be at war with these two again and this just might be fairly soon since I am teaching a lesson to Arabia about building cities to near to me.

I told him not to come north of the river but he just ignored me. I think two cities razed should be enough of a lesson.

That is pretty hilarious. Couldn't you have just destroyed one of the cities instead of conquering it? This should have broken the chain.

I didn't think of that at the time, and then I just got carried away. I thought I was doing awesome causing chaos with my camel archers until Rome rolled over with a screen full of riflemen :p

Wow... I REALLY laughed at this one.

I guess Darius doesn't like small empires (Even though he has the lowest score in this game..) basically a vassal of the French.

Oh and another thing I learned from this game... The AI will chain DOW you if you declare war on too many civs. Askia asked me if I wanted to join him in war against Japan.. I said yes because quite honestly they were pissing me off and being uppity in general. Before that turn ended, Ghandi, Bismarck, Napolean, Elizabeth and Siam declared war on me, all in the same turn. Thankfully my city is surrounded by mountains on the south and I have quite a few crossbowman and trebuchets to defend with.

Oh and another thing I learned from this game... The AI will chain DOW you if you declare war on too many civs. Askia asked me if I wanted to join him in war against Japan.. I said yes because quite honestly they were pissing me off and being uppity in general. Before that turn ended, Ghandi, Bismarck, Napolean, Elizabeth and Siam declared war on me, all in the same turn. Thankfully my city is surrounded by mountains on the south and I have quite a few crossbowman and trebuchets to defend with.

That sounds more like someone (probably Japan) bribed a bunch of civs into war against you, since while you do get a demerit for DoWing (you get none for being declared on as far as I know), the majority of the wartime diplo penalty comes from capturing cities. Which I assume you hadn't done at that point, right?

But given how bad the war AI is, you never know... :p

Slick move by Japan there.

I blame a loss I had the other day on the AI's misunderstanding of expanding borders. I'm Haroun of Arabia, and I'm trying to play a peaceful mercantile/tehc game. :p

If you were trying to play a peaceful game why did you go on the offensive :p
You could have just killed their units and played defense you know...AI doesn't get mad about that.

I had a game where I was completely peaceful as India and never left my three city island. Then one day England rings me and tells me they are concerned about how I am massing my troops on their border. I am on an island of my own and my borders do not reach England anywhere!? Very odd.

I had a game where I was completely peaceful as India and never left my three city island. Then one day England rings me and tells me they are concerned about how I am massing my troops on their border. I am on an island of my own and my borders do not reach England anywhere!? Very odd.

The ocean is England's borders ;)

I think people judge the AI too harshly or misjudge its actions. Earlier I had a game where Japan was being friendly and yet attacked a friendly (to me) neighbouring city state. I really did not want war to ravage said city state's territory, so I went over to Japan and asked what would it take to stop the attack. They wanted nothing, so I asked them to stop it and they complied. They even apologized a few turns later. Looking back, I think it makes sense. Would you really shatter a good relationship with a burgeoning empire on your borders over the mere territory of a city state?

I hate getting yelled at for amassing troops on someones border. I always get this when I am amassing troops on a neighbors borders, neighbor of the AI, or walking them through someones territory to attack someone else.

I hate getting yelled at for amassing troops on someones border. I always get this when I am amassing troops on a neighbors borders, neighbor of the AI, or walking them through someones territory to attack someone else.

As long as you say you won't declare war and subsequently don't declare war, nothing happens.

If you say you won't declare war and you do declare war... prepare for a load of DOW's or broken deals with other players.

Slick move by Japan there.

If you were trying to play a peaceful game why did you go on the offensive :p
You could have just killed their units and played defense you know...AI doesn't get mad about that.

Still used to Civ 4 where it would only have been advantageous to take a city (and where Monty is a pain :p)

They really didn't do a very good job of sanity checking the AI. I'll have twice the score of other AIs and I also get the empty threats. Although, if you recall from CivIV, Ragnar and Justinian would sometimes just attack the heck out of you for no reason and sometimes even more so if they were way behind in points. Maybe someone at Firaxis has a sick sense of inadequacy.

Top Bottom