• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

I managed to found at last why Civ 2 is the best

zeeter said:
Civ2: People had strategies that were sure-fire wins. Plant as many cities as possible then run all over the enemy. Simple.

Civ3: It's a little tougher to plant so many cities, but people can do it. Especially after they gave the option in a patch to turn off culture flipping.

Civ4: There is no specific strategy that is a sure-fire win. At least not yet. There was chop-rushing, but that got nerfed. Civ2 people can't figure out a strategy. Because they can't figure it out, they say that the game isn't as good as Civ2. They can't win every time. Must be Civ4's fault.

So why type of poster are you? The kind that gets his sad arguements rebutted into the ground , then runs off saying hes to cool to be posting here, The kind that really never had a valid arguement in the first place. Why are they always checkin out these kind of threads? theres hundreds that come up all the time. Why not cancel the subscription and forget about it if your not planin on arguing or not intrested in hearing the other side. Let me guess, their to addicted to the drama?, Still hoping their side gets the last word?, if not, all of a sudden the threads not legitamite and they feel the need to post and tell everyone. So are you one of those guys?
I guess its like you said Win or lose its the last word that some guys only care about.

Ummm this is one of those posts that try to pass off as another legitamite post when really its a sly way of trying to hide a blatant double post......., So really whats with all this about arguments not being good on this site :mischief: I think it should only being limited to a few places. This Thread is the latest battleground, bigdeal its a dissicussion, not a war of words its opionions that are sometimes backed up with facts or examples that bring home the message.

Its a place where members can voice their views. One guy has got to disagree, if its opposing popular opinion (like say'in Civ3 is the greatest in a Civ4 forum) then your going all out, you better bring plenty of ammo,err mods, examples to back it up. Still why complain that people are opposing one another opinions?. If the some guy disagrees, and the oher replies back its an argument yes, but if he supports his statements then fine, out comes another issue(more ammunition ;) and its back to it.
No one is forcing anyone to particapate or even watch.

So Thats what I really wanted to say in that spot, sorry for the disrespect, You know other threads are more helpful with info pertaining to game elements or startegys, but can They prep you for entry in to law school! (please Im kidding!, but just ask Older then dirt! ;)

CIV2 is best? :confused: Totally backwards. Even CIV3 was way better then CIV2, CIV4 blows all of these versions away. That is why everyone is playing CIV4, although many are still playing 3, but 2, come on. With CIV4 we have the best AI, the best graphics, the best combat, unit promotions, borders, religions, resources, and on and on... come on how in the world can someone even remotely think CIV2 is best? :confused: I totally disagree with anyone who can say CIV2 is best, at least if you said CIV3 you would not be doing too bad, but even then, still wrong. I don't even remember the last time I played CIV2, heck I stopped playing that way back when CtP came out, I even thought that was better. CIV2 was glorious in its days, but now, thats long over. Now the only reason I like CIV2 was because it brought us CIV3 and CIV4. For a civ game that is better then CIV4, heck we have to wait until CIV5 for that. My crown goes to CIV4 all the way, I mean hands down.

Naokaukodem said:
Why do you say "simple" nostalgia? I feel a little annoyed that you sum up my former arguments by "dumb" nostalgia.

That's about a feeling for sure. If Civ2 seemed "wow", why not do as so Civ4 seem "wow" as well, instead of proposing the overall same thing? I'm not nostalgic of Civ2 [well I am], I don't care if this is here and that is asso. I just want the same feeling, no matter how to reach it, as I explained before. Even if, I'm conscious of that, it could not really be the same, but that's not what I am talking about. I'm talking about a quantifiable feeling. The elements I refered in the first post are objective, or try to be. I don't pretend to recreate the universe I was in when I first played Civ2, with the barbecue and my aunt at home. :D That is nostalgia. I just tryed to insulate the critical feelings that were making Civ2 a better experience than Civ3 et 4, taking care, all particularly, not to interfere with any nostagic feeling.

Hey, Naokaukodem, I have a question for you. Do you think it might be possible that the wow factor that you feel you're missing in Civ IV is do in part to you being older (Civ II did come out 10 years ago) and wiser and possibly more jaded? I know that I'm not as easily impressed as I used to be back in the day.

armchairknight said:
Hey, Naokaukodem, I have a question for you. Do you think it might be possible that the wow factor that you feel you're missing in Civ IV is do in part to you being older (Civ II did come out 10 years ago) and wiser and possibly more jaded? I know that I'm not as easily impressed as I used to be back in the day.

Excellent point and unfortunately, man is that so true. :( Even though I like CIV4 best, I think the few people that feel this way about CIV2 could very well be because of this. Heck 10 years ago I was 26 and even at that age, games seemed to impress me much more then they do now, even though games are far ahead of the time since then. A few do come out here and there that will still "WOW" me though thats for sure. :) One of the games (really a sim) that impresses me as if I were a kid would have to be MSFS2004. I certainly can't wait for FSX, in fact I am building a whole new system just for that. As far as the CIV series, I don't think I will ever out grow them. :D

Warspite2 said:
Excellent point and unfortunately, man is that so true. :( Even though I like CIV4 best, I think the few people that feel this way about CIV2 could very well be because of this. Heck 10 years ago I was 26 and even at that age, games seemed to impress me much more then they do now, even though games are far ahead of the time since then. A few do come out here and there that will still "WOW" me though thats for sure. :) One of the games (really a sim) that impresses me as if I were a kid would have to be MSFS2004. I certainly can't wait for FSX, in fact I am building a whole new system just for that. As far as the CIV series, I don't think I will ever out grow them. :D

I doubt I'll ever outgrow Civ either. :)

Flight Simulator 2004, eh? It's been many a year since I've tried to play (a much earlier version of) the game. I couldn't land without crashing. Some fundemental flaw in the way I am or play left me looking at a cracked windshield.

Top Bottom