I really wish the AI had some kind of concept of Natural Borders

Emperor Alexander saled Alaska because Russian Empire become bankrupt:
1. To high maintanance :)
2. Russian squires always was a backbone of monarchy & demanded Tsar to make restitution after abolition of serfdom in empire.

It probably didn't really happen this way, but I heard that when Lincoln's messenger arrived in Moscow with a sealed envelope with a proposal, the Tsar said "whatever is in that envelope, the answer is YES!" Might've been to his better advantage to haggle a bit, hehe.

would be interesting to go examining the AH that would have had happened if Alaska wasn't sold to US

Well we know how the Cold War would have ended.

Well maybe not, if they were that much closer to California. Might've been too tempting to 'em not to invade.

or maybe russia might actually have spilt over half way in a Russia and a Siberia/Alaska state ... nothings clad in iron

The AI doesn't have the aesthetics sense. Look at a Holy Roman Empire map to see how messy it was. Regions of Antarctica are also claimed by some nations.

The world would still end in a shroom cloud and they wouldn't really benefit much from invading, now would they?

We didn't have ICBMs yet and wouldn't have nuked our own land. It'd have been more like the Korean war with different-colored faces on the ant-like swarming hordes. And T-52s.

Kaliningrad was a blatant steal of tiles :) Swaziland and Lesotho are also in the same boat. If South Africa built some theatres they could flip those countries!

Kaliningrad was a blatant steal of tiles :) Swaziland and Lesotho are also in the same boat. If South Africa built some theatres they could flip those countries!

And don't forget about San Marino. That little dot of a country completely surrounded by Italy.
Now as San Marino is the oldest continually running country I bet culture flipping is out. (its probably just shy of legendary) However Italy should be able to conquer it with ease.

The Russians wouldn't be stupid enough to invade America, now would they?

In the early stages of the Cold War it wouldn't have been stupid, at least if they already had Alaska as a staging area. Rail transport up to Vladivostok and Kamchatka, stage in Alaska, ready set go. On the U.S. side most forces were committed to occupation in Europe and Japan, leaving the Canada frontier wide open. A draft could have filled in some ranks with WWII veterans, but that would probably have been too little too late.

Canada would have just said "Ahoy Ivan, what's all this aboot then, I must complain about this!" ...as the tanks roll on down.

A balancing factor would be if Patton were also still alive and could send the Third Army straight from Berlin to Moscow, using Russian entrails to grease their treads. But that would also ruin any diplo solution.

I wish the borders would follow rivers or mountains more, so theyd be more realistic and easier to defend. so instead of culture hoing passed the river it would just expand more on the other side, or stretch farther along the river. Oh and u guys forgot the Vatican, that is extemelly small!

I wish the borders would follow rivers or mountains more, so theyd be more realistic and easier to defend. so instead of culture hoing passed the river it would just expand more on the other side, or stretch farther along the river. Oh and u guys forgot the Vatican, that is extemelly small!

I wonder if a mod can create a new trade screen set of options for adjusting borders?

e.g.:

a) Set our borders to favor my city's BFC tiles (heavy demand and/or high trade price)
b) Set our borders to equalize land between our cities (reasonable demand and/or low trade price)
c) Set a no-city-flipping pact between us (favors the lower-culture civ so relative cost/value here)

A financial civ might be able to buy their way out of culture conquest this way, or an aggro civ might be able to threaten their way back to more stable borders with a culture-vulture. Which is what often happened in history.

another pointer as for that this doesn't float IRL ... Nakchivan autonomonus Republic which is a part of Azabaijan but is placed between Amenia and Iran :)

I do wish the AI understood my 'unclaimed' borders usually cover 60-70% of the world's landmasses. They always seem to get in the way.

Top Bottom