I want movies for the end of a Civ.

CVDon

Warlord
I was playing nice with all my neighbors, then Ghengis attacked for no reason at all, except for my culture swamping some of his cities, but other than that ... there was no reason at all. I finally gained the upper hand and have developed a taste for Mongolian Bar-B-Q .... burn baby burn!

Then, when Ghengis had me on the ropes, Louis attacked from the other direction. His attack had much less steam than Ghengis, and I have turned the tables on him too.

I plan to zero out these two Civs and when that happens, I want a movie. I want Ghengis climbing a scaffold, and the sound of a trap door opening. I want Louis climbing a scaffold and a Guillotine blade dropping ... *splorch*. Or maybe a firing squad ... drum roll .... volley!

Simply raizing their last city is just not enough.

They could even add a political angle.
"Louis has escaped to Mali, where his good friend Mansa Musa is giving him political assylum."
OK Musa, hand over Louis or we go to war.

Or let me select the manner of Louis' demise:
1. Exile
2. Execution
3. Imprisonment
4. Install Louis as a puppet government
And then roll the appropriate movie.

All suggestions here are pure genius. It is just not satisfying enough seeing onle the points of a particular tribe dropped to zero after winning a 60-year struggle.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Montezuma, i sentence you to death.
I would love this.

Yeah, then you cut to Monty with a blindfold and last cigarette. Pan right to the firing squad ... Ready ... Aim ... FIRE!!! *Volley* *Thud* ... "Taps" plays softly in the background.

Great idea :) Each leader, or at least each civ, could have a culture-specific execution sequence.

Elizabeth could be decapitated, Louis guillotined, Saladin strangled, Tokugawa seppuku'd, Genghis have his neck broken between two logs steppe-style...

It would be macabre, but aye, when you win a grudge match just seeing 'The Aztec civilisation has been destroyed' in the message area is just not enough.

Great ideas. It has been done before of course, but not as developed to the extent listed above. Anyone (yes I know some of you do!) remember the horrific 'electric torture' scenes from Alpha Centauri when you eliminated an opponent? There was a reason I couldn't play that game if the kids were still awake. :)

CVDon said:
Or let me select the manner of Louis' demise:
1. Exile
2. Execution
3. Imprisonment
4. Install Louis as a puppet government
And then roll the appropriate movie.

I like the idea of having an option, what I LOVE is the idea of setting up a puppet government. I mean after all these leaders are 'imortal' like we are. If we are kicking its butt and the AI knows for certain that you are going to win it could come to you hat in hand begging for mercy, you then could take his surrender and allow him to keep running his Civ. This would allow you to manage much larger Civs, without having to do the work :)

Mongolian BBQ is hilarious.

And how did they get so much right w/ Alpha Centauri? I forgot all about the electrocution scenes... maybe I should reinstall the old SMACdown.

Puppet Government would be the same as Permanent Alliance, so the programing already exists (mostly).

Politics based on outcome would be fun too.

-2 You executed our friend.
+2 You executed Montezuma ... wish I had done that!

or

+1 You exiled our frend into our keeping ... that is most generous of you.
-1 Exile??? You should have hanged the SOB!

or

So ... Mansa Musa ... you and Monty are good friends ... I will trade him to you for Refrigeration. I got him in prison at the moment. Of course ... that could change.

or

Gamer: Minion ... place a city on this spot and work the salt mines ... uh ... I mean spices.
Monty: Yes my lord ... as you wish my lord ... assho ...
Gamer: WHAT WAS THAT?
Money: Uh ... uh ... as ... as you wish my lord ...

Yes, at least there should be something more than just a tiny note.
In Civ2 they played the funeral march (although you probably were just happy about it).

you might be able to use python to add amovie when a civ dies but the options would require serious SDK modding and the AI would still not use it properly.

Wasn't it Lords of the Realm that played a little cut scene when you lost or was victorious in a battle?

I enjoyed that.

Good ideas! And they wouldn't even have to be carried out in every macabre detail. Just a suggestion would do. Louis' head in a guillotine, but the video fades before the blade hits, Montezuma being sacrificed to the Sun God or whatever they did to bad Aztecs, Alexander sipping a vial of poison, Julius choosing between venom and pugil, Tokugawa kneeling with a wakizashi...

Yeah! :goodjob:

Now we can't even see the bruised and battered faces after a game is done: just a depressing video with different colours expanding and withdrawing. Buh-ring.

These ideas are pure genius. :goodjob:

This would add a whole new level to polotics. I would harbor some of my friends. I think Execution should be possible as you hinted if he is still in your Empire. Puppet him for 100 years, then execute him :D

Maybe for each civilization leader should be executed as it was around his or her (real) era.

Louis - Guillotine
Monty - Sacrafice

and so on...

I think its appropriate if each leader has his own way of execution and movie

I think this is an excellent idea... not only could this have the political ramifications like those listed above, but there could be longstanding populace feelings too.

For example, say you conquered your neighbor. If you execute the leader, the populace would revolt violently (requiring more troops, possibly losing buildings or some such) but would die out relatively quickly. However, exiling or "puppeting" would mean less unhappiness but over a longer period of time (could the leader be forming a resistance?). Just an unthought-out idea... :cool:

I think this would add a deeper level of strategy to the game. As it is now, defeating enemies feels more like wash-rinse-repeat half the time.

BirraImperial said:
Great ideas... I would love to send Isabella to the gas chamber.:devil: :devil: buahahahaha!!

I have a worse fate for her. It involves feeding me grapes on a couch for the rest of my natural life. Among other duties.

I always thought that since the declaration of war is along the lines of "Your head would look good on the end of a pole" (or is it pike?), we should have the option of still comunicating with the leader of a destroyed civ. When you click on an eliminated Alexander, you just get a lovingly rendered shot of his head, on the end of a stick. Eyes bugged out and everything. I really hate Alexander. I digress.

Anyway: option to see a shot of a decapitated leader of a destroyed civ: YAY.

Top Bottom