Idea: expand the use of envoys

Right now, envoys can only be used by assigning them to city-states. My idea: allow players to choose between assigning an envoy to a city-state or assigning them to a major civ. This could give the player more to do with envoys so that they are not just the automatic strategy that they are now. It makes sense. Why can't you send envoys to facilitate diplomacy with other major civs? Each envoy could give you a boost in diplomatic favorability with the other civ and give you a bonus of something like extra culture or extra science or a free luxury resource. It would also be nice to be able expel foreign envoys when you want to punish that civ without going to war.

Seems logical, and it's always nice to have multiple choices of how to use a commodity. It would also be nice if you could change your mind about where you placed your envoys, and redistribute them whenever you feel the need to, especially since envoys to different CS's provide different resources.

Being able to place envoys with civs - particularly if that was combined with the Alliance system - and being able to periodically reassign envoys (eg when you change governments) would make the envoy system so much richer and immersive, and would surely be fairly easy for FXS to implement.

I’m a bit stumped why FXS haven’t done something like that already. Envoys feel a bit like policy cards - this really great system, which works really well, but which FXS haven’t further developed in favour of introducing new stuff that’s actually pretty half baked (eg loyalty, government plaza, emergencies). Oh well.

(Hang on. Didn’t I say I was going to be posting less... Damn you Civfanatics! You keep dragging me back!!! )

Last edited:
Being able to place envoys with civs - particularly if that was combined with the Alliance system - and being able to periodically reassign envoys (eg when you change governments) would make the envoy system so much richer and immersive, and would surely be fairly easy for FXS to implement.

I’m a bit stumped why FXS haven’t done something like that already. Envoys feel a bit like policy cards - this really great system, which works really well, but which FXS haven’t further developed in favour of introducing new stuff that’s actually pretty half baked (eg loyalty, government plaza, emergencies). Oh well.

(Hang on. Didn’t I say I was going to be posting less... Damn you Civfanatics! You keep dragging me back!!! )

Just imagine if you could assign envoys to allied to gain bonus alliance points! That would be a great way to use those.

This idea could definitely be a step in the right direction in regards to diplomacy.

You go to war with a Civ then your envoys should be expelled from that Civ and their allied city-states. Otherwise you shouldn't be allowed to move your envoys around. Other otherwise I see the AI making a mess of it.

This idea could definitely be a step in the right direction in regards to diplomacy.

You go to war with a Civ then your envoys should be expelled from that Civ and their allied city-states. Otherwise you shouldn't be allowed to move your envoys around. Other otherwise I see the AI making a mess of it.

You could also get your Envoys 'sent home' because one of your Spies got caught in that City State or Civ, causing a temporary 'Diplomatic Crisis' between you and them.

Top Bottom