Idea for taverns

Daverd

Chieftain
Hello! First off I'd like to say thank you for all the hard work you've put into this awesome mod. I've been playing since before the RaR fork and it's great to see there's still active development.

I have an idea that I think would be fun and hopefully not very complicated to implement.

My idea is that buildings in the Tavern track should add domestic demand for beer, rum, and wine.

As a simple example, in addition to their normal benefits,

Tavern: Demands 1 beer
Saloon: Demands 2 beer, 1 rum
Theater: Demands 3 beer, 2 rum, 1 wine
Grand Opera: Demands 4 beer, 3 rum, 2 wine

(I don't know if those numbers are balanced -- maybe others here could weigh in on what they think would be appropriate. Maybe the higher-class buildings demand proportionally less beer but more wine.)

Thematically it just makes sense. I also feel like beer and wine are typically not quite as profitable as some of the other commodities, and this would buff them slightly in a way that's unique to them. It would also kick off the domestic economy a little earlier, which is one of the more interesting aspects of the mod imo.

My idea is that buildings in the Tavern track should add domestic demand for beer, rum, and wine.

Sorry I was wrong, this is not true anymore.
See "Edit" below.
Spoiler :

Currently "Tavern" already unlocks the consumption of beer, rum and wine on the Domestic Market.
But still, wine / beer / rum are consumed by Population (Colonists), not by Buildings.

So basically the idea already exists. :dunno:
It is simply interpreted / implemented differently.

Currently no Building itself consumes any goods (every turn).
Of course stored Yields are required for building them - but that is the normal "Construction System".

It would be a new logic / feature / system of itself - thus quite a lot of effort.
(The effort would be similar to programming the "Domestic Market" feature itself.)

To be honest though, the current Domestic Market System (being unlocked by Market and Tavern) works good enough for me.
I see little reason to change it. :dunno:
(Your suggestion would simply make it more complicated and add additional effort to implement it.)

Edit:

I checked again and it seems that the old code for Domestic Market was changed / refactored at some point ...

The "Market" seems to be used for unlocking Domestic Market for all goods now.
It seems like the check for "Tavern" was removed (for Beer, Wine and Rum)

Probably for these reasons:
- to simplify the code and make it more generic for other mod scenarios (hardcoding on specific Yields might not have fit to other mod scnearios based on RaR / WTP)
- to increase performance because it did not need to do the additional hardcoded check on Yields anymore (to differentiate between Alcohol / Tavern and other Goods / Market)

So I fully understand why it was done. :thumbsup:
Domestic Market works good enough for me without the additional (hardcoded on Yields) "Tavern" check for unlocking Beer / Wine and Rum as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom