Idea: Religious Conflict

surdanis

Sergeant
Hello, again! Perhaps you've already read my propoal for slavery; if not, please do so. Rhye looks like a fantastic modder, but I'd like to prpose my own idea as I'm not a modder myself :(

I've suggested this TheLopez, but I don't think he's had time to consider, so I'd like to throw this out here in the hopes that Rhye might take a look and think about integrating it into his mod. I'm sure ideas like these have been floating around the forums, but I'm also sure that my proposal is the most thorough and dynamic. So here it is...

Religious Conflict

First off, units should be tagged with a religion or even several religions. The religions that the unit is tagged with should be determined by the religions that were available in its mother city. Thus, an archer created in a city where Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism were present would produce an archer tagged with all three religions. Captured units will retain their religion, though there is a percentage that increases over time that that unit will convert to the state religion or the religion most dominant in the new civ. The purpose of this comes into play for several reasons.

The first reason involves the founding of new cities. A settler that founds a new city will produce a city is tagged with religion. If the settler was tagged with multiple religions, the new city will contain all of those religions. If one of those was a state religion, however, the new city will have a better a chance of being of the state religion--though a theocracy should only produce a city of the state's religion.

The second reason involves religious schizms, which Rhye himself is working on. We can, however, make his idea more interesting by including the ability to manually launch a holy war rather than being forced into one. My proposal requires the concept of a religious capital, which is separate from the concept of a holy city. There can be only one religious capital of a particular religion per civ. I would like to suggest, however, that any religion should be able to designate two holy cities, though one would always be the city where the religion was founded. This would be done by having a Great Prophet be able to build one more shrine in another city. I will talk more on holy cities later.

As for religious capitals, examples abound in the real world. Christianity claims Jersusalem as its holy city, however, the religious capital is clearly Rome, where the Pope sits as the head of the Roman Catholic Church. However, Orthodox Christianity claimed Constantinople. A religious capital can be designated by the action of a Great Prophet, who constructs a wonder in a city. Once constructed, the religious capital's owner receives +1 gold per turn per city under the influence of the religion. In addition, a small amount of that civ's culture is spread per turn to all cities of the same religion. Upon designating a religious capital, the chance for a schizm skyrockets. If one is triggered, the owner of the religious capital has the option of immediately launching a holy war. In the absence of a schizm, the owner of a religious capital may also launch a holy war against other civs of different religions under certain conditions: the capture of a holy city or the capture of a religious capital. Launching holy wars without these conditions can only be done by the action of a Great Prophet, who is consumed in the process.

A holy war is conducted by designating a specific city to be captured, which requires that the civ declaring the war own a religious capital and that he is either under theocracy. The target city must be captured within the duration of the holy, which is initially 6 turns. Upon declaration of the holy war, the civ is asked to send an invitation for other civs of the same religion to join, who need not be a theocracy. In addition, the player is prompted to designate a single unit to lead the holy war, which must be a land unit; if no land unit exists, one will be immediately constructed for him. This unit can have other units join him by stacking them with him, but once they join the holy war, they cannot be removed until the holy war has ended; what is created when the unit is designated is a "holy army." This holy army receives a +1 bonus to movement.

Units from other civs may also join the holy army, and they retain their civ loyalty--that is, they do not flip to the civ that started the holy war. Alternatively, another civ may participate by forming their own holy army, and so may choose to capture the same city or a different one as long as the target city is of the same civ or one allied with them. Thus, it is possible to drag other civs into the war who did not want to fight in the first place! A maximum of 12 units are allowed per holy army. Another city besides the religious capital of any civ may build a holy army if there is a cathedral present.

Should a holy army ever pass through a city of another civ other than the religious capital or the target city, there is a chance that the army will sack the city (which increases with the size of the army and the city, and may be thwarted by the presence of units in garrison), resulting in the theft of gold from the civ's coffers, the random destruction of a building or buildings, and a sudden addition of unhappiness and/or rioting. [In actual history, one crusade resulted in the sacking of Constantinople by a crusade headed for Jerusalem!] Futhermore, a holy army that has enough movement left will always pillage the square it is on if within the borders of another civ. Every turn that a holy army is not moving closer to the target city results in a small lost of hp among all units in the stack.

For the duration of a holy war, the production rate of military units among all participants is increased by 50%. A successful campaign, which results from the capture of a target city, results in increased happiness throughout the cities of all participants. The civ that owns a religious capital may also pay out gold to the participating civs through a popup, though this is not necessary; paying out the gold, of course, improves relations substantially. Any city capture in such a fashion has the conquering religion automatically spread to it.

The length of a holy war may be extended one turn for each additional civ beyond the first. No more than six turns may be added in such a fashion. A successful campaign results in the addition of four turns. An enemy civ may also declare a holy war in retaliation of a holy war waged against them--as long as they, too, have a religious capital. While the defeat of a holy will not penalize the length of a holy war, it may add unhappiness throughout the cities of participating civs. Once a holy war ends, any happiness gained through successful campaigns is lost.

Besides the concept of a holy war, I would also like to propose a new unit: the inquisitor. The inquisitor is able to launch an inquisition in any city, resulting in his consumption. A successful inquisition removes any one non-state religion from the city, and so several inquisitions may be needed to remove multiple religions. If a city has no religion or does not have the state religion, then the state religion is automatically spread. The inquisitor is also able to destroy enemy missionaries instantly, which consumes the inquisitor. Finally, the inquisitor destroy holy buildings such as temples, cathedrals, and even shrines (which may be used to designate religious capitals). Inquisitors are only available under a theocracy.

holy wars, made in a different way from the one you've proposed (and much simpler, as your version would require 1 full week of work that i don't have), would be a very nice addition to the schism system.
Thank you, I'll be trying to invent something :)

eh :rolleyes:, does RFC really need even more additions to the religion system that sounds nice but doesn't work nicely in the game? :rolleyes:, I still prefer to leave it as it is.

I'm with Prestidigitator. You really don't need to get too fancy when it comes to creating excuses for wars. And I'm definitely not into extra bonuses or units.

The inquisitor unit might be interesting, although it would definitely have to not be able to destroy the religious shrines or buildings. It doesn't seem like something very important to me, but it probably couldn't hurt...Except it would probably be something used only by the human player, which is kind of pointless.

Top Bottom