Idea Thread: Theory

MistroPain

Chieftain
Hi everyone, I'm super hyped for the upcoming game and have been watching a tonne of let's plays that have been coming (super jealous and super hyped all at once).

One thing I love is that the map in this game feels more important than ever in all aspects of the game, from city planning to warring. As such I have thought that one thing that could be implemented in a cool way is 'Theory'.

Theory:

Theory accrues in three categories; Military, Science & Exploration, and Economics, and is received by acting in those three respective areas. By fighting battles you earn Military Theory, by exploring or completing research you earn Science & Exploration Theory, and by meeting the demands of your population you earn Economic Theory points. Theory acts more like the Civics tree did in Civ V, you earn points till you unlock a point and expend that point to unlock a Theory. Unlike techs and civics, Theory requires active utilisation to benefit from it.

Examples of theories that may be unlocked:

Military:
-Wall (Anti-Cavalry and Melee units may set up a wall formation. Upon activating this formation your units will occupy their hex and the two hexes besides them, thus allowing you to bottleneck tight spots or protect a greater number of units. When in this formation your units lose 20% of their strength value).
-Push (Anti-Cavalry and Melee units gain the ability to push a unit. In doing so they will push the unit being acted upon one hex in the direction the push was made from, allowing you to remove a potentially dangerous unit from another. When pushing your unit deals 50% of their normal damage, and receives full damage).
-Wall Push (Requires Wall & Push. Anti-Cavalry and Melee units gain access to the 'push' tactic whilst in the wall formation. In using this your unit will push all three hexes ahead of them back one space, however, they will deal no damage and receive full damage from all sources ahead than they usually would).
-Volley (Ranged units gain access to the 'Volley' tactic, allowing them to fire on three hexes in a triangle, dealing 40% of their normal damage to units in each hex).
-Burning Shot (Ranged units gain access to the 'Burning Shot' tactic, allowing them to deal additional damage to ships or defenses, however, this incurs a warmongering penalty each time used).
-etc. etc.

Science & Exploration:
-Archaelogical Digs (allows you to perform digs to uncover ancient relics or wonders of the past).
-Deep Water Exploration (allows you to explore regions deep beneath the surface of the waters, finding wonders of the natural world).
-Psychological Studies (allows you to research 'Civics', a repeatable tech which increases in cost each time researched, and upon completion provides a lump some of Civic points).
-Conservation (allows the construction of National Parks).
-etc. etc.

Economics & Politics:
-*Insert District Name* Project (allows you to perform a project relevant to the chosen district, earning a large yield when completed).
-Subversive Trade (allows you to create a subsersive trade, reducing your usual trade yields in doing so, but gaining more information about the target location).
-Bribery (spend gold to remove envoys from a city state, can fail and in doing so will cause diplomatic backlash).
-Mercenary Army (allows you to lease your troops, or a group of troops, to other players/AI for their wars. You gain a small warmongering penalty in doing this).
-Privateering (allows you to lease your ships, or group of ships, to other players/AI for their wars. You gain a small warmongering penalty in doing this).
-Barbarian Tribute (allows you to send tributes to barbarian camps. Doing so will make them leave you alone, or can be used to force them to target a specific city. Barbarians who have received tribute to attack another player will spawn larger groups than usual).

Soooo... Thats the gist, all of it requires active utilisation. Unlike Tech or Civics there is no passive gain here. With regards to Military Tactics that are gained using the Theory tree, the idea I had was that Government Types have a number of 'Tactics' that can be performed per turn, ensuring that you couldn't use them excessively.

Opinions? Crappy idea or good one?

Sounds like a great idea for a mod. :w00t:

Sounds like a great idea for a mod. :w00t:

Some players (myself included) dislike the use of Mods:
  • They're not always balanced properly
  • They might cause performance issues
  • They don't necessarily work with the latest patch or update
  • They often have lower production values
  • They're not how the game is designed to be played
  • Other developers have used them as an excuse for shipping unfinished products, assuming modders will polish the game for free

As such, if someone has a good idea in these forums (as above, MistroPain), I'd hope that the paid, professional developers implement it into the game themselves, complete with balancing, full art assets, and extensive quality assurance testing, rather than trust such to unpaid amateurs who have no stake in the reputation and success of the game.

I suppose I can see your point, and it would be nice if the developers did all those things you're asking -- but since they don't, I've made heavy use of mods in Civ V and enjoyed them very much. Of course, YMMV.

Whilst I would also always prefer something done by the developers themselves to a mod as well, sometimes its the only way to do things. Not to mention developers like Firaxis and others like Bethesda do look at popular mods and sometimes integrate them into the base game. So its not always bad getting mod support...

Mod kings please!

Top Bottom