idear for combat away from city's

jozef57

Warlord
i have an idear how we could get combat away from city's only, this one of things civ 5 tried, failed miserably, the solution seems te be to make it posible to use units in some fashion to conqer hexses. in this way some more natural border conflict with out being total war could be archieved to

remove the city ranged attack option and nerf ranged attacks to only adjacent spaces.

I like the original idea of hex conquering but only if it takes a few turns of them being on the hex before this happens. As for the second post that would make ranged units useless. Yes I know machine guns go 1 hex but making every ranged unit like that would mean units like artillery would get defeated waaaay to easily( since literally any melee unit and mounted unit from that period will take it down with only about 6 damage taken themselves).

There is mod (hex conquer and release, I believe) in the workshop. Has anyone tried it?

I agree that archers, catapults crossbowmen etc. shouldn'bt be able to shoot two or more tiles away, just too unrealistic if you think about what one tile stands for in reality(no rock of a catapult or arrow of a bow flies 20kilometres) but for later ranged units like artillery and rocket artillery and battleships a range of 2 or even 3 would be ok.Cities shouldn't do any range attacks with miltary units and shouldn't be so strong without any military unit.
To solve the problem with the range:1 catapults I'd say to allow some melee units to stay with some ranged units, for example swordmen and catapults but if a tile with swordmen and catapult gets bombarbed , both units are affected.How many catapults would you need to totally fill a whole tile of lots of square kilometres?I think it's unrealistic that one catapult unit can't share the place.

You could also displace the difficulty you have to take a city into a difficulty to go deep in enemy territory.

If you are considered an invader, people could form guerillas and new units would spawn near the enemy front. If you are considered a libertor, those new units could turn out yours.

Or there could be set strategic points which would act like Civ5 cities, it is to say once taken they grant you a fixed number of tiles.

Or we could simply put cities off. (no more cities in the game)

I agree that archers, catapults crossbowmen etc. shouldn'bt be able to shoot two or more tiles away, just too unrealistic if you think about what one tile stands for in reality(no rock of a catapult or arrow of a bow flies 20kilometres) but for later ranged units like artillery and rocket artillery and battleships a range of 2 or even 3 would be ok.Cities shouldn't do any range attacks with miltary units and shouldn't be so strong without any military unit.
To solve the problem with the range:1 catapults I'd say to allow some melee units to stay with some ranged units, for example swordmen and catapults but if a tile with swordmen and catapult gets bombarbed , both units are affected.How many catapults would you need to totally fill a whole tile of lots of square kilometres?I think it's unrealistic that one catapult unit can't share the place.

Gameplay > Realsim.

After playing ciV for more than 3 years, I think that city ranged attacks should be reduced to 1 range. This will encourage much more fighting on the field. To boost defenders, units adjacent to cities could get a combat bonus, so that they could drive the invaders back. This could greatly help AI as they are good at swarming you with units. Limited range of city attacks & damageable garrisoned units would mean that finally AI would be able to defeat your city+frigate+crossbow combo with his army.

Also garrisoned units should increase city strength more but they should be susceptible to enemy attacks especially siege units.
The damage taken by the garrison could then be reduced by defense buildings. So in a city without any walls a swordsman would be a better choice than archer but in a well fortified city it could go the other way around. This would be realistic & most importantly more fun!

Top Bottom