Idiot mistakes 101

Funny topic :lol:

I must bring my humble contribution to it. I lost a game by underestimating the AI ability to choose the right strategy.

In a custom game with only diplomatic victory enabled, I built the UN. I was the 2nd highest population, Catherine was the first.

I had good relationships with everybody, boosted my science research to get the UN first, so I was military weak.

Catherine was my friend too, but most of the civs disliked her. So she ABSOLUTELY needed to increase her pop, and if possible, decrease mine. Of course, she was my neighboor.

I've got the pleasure to see 2 big stacks of Cossacks coming from both sides :sad:

Bye bye...

As I read these, I wonder how many of these that I'll do when this game comes in the mail... I ordered it on Amazon. I can't wait for it to get here, but everyone says the strategy is so different than civ3... I'm scared... lol.

without doubt my worst mistakes are declaring war on the wrong person in mutiplayer. Since people don't use the actual leader names, I can't easily tell who is who. Oh, that person's name is blue, and thats blue cultural boundaries next to me, so, I'll declare war. Only to realize that I chose the wrong blue. I know this could be easily solved doing a little searching, but, when the time turner is clicking down, I just rush it.

cody_the_genius said:
As I read these, I wonder how many of these that I'll do when this game comes in the mail.
If you're like me, you'll not always recognize that you're playing through the set-up for one of these "D'OH!!!" moments until it's too late. :-D Not to worry. If we were all perfect there'd be little fun left in the world.

Chop down all surrounding forests rushing the pyramids.

Then, after researching constitution for representation I suddenly realize I could have switched centuries ago.

Yesterday I had a +9 food capital city at size 10. Size 11 would make people unhappy, so I put it on halt growth and whipped some people (almost no production there). I needed some quick troops, so I kept on whipping until the city hit 3. No problem, within 10 turns it would be a size 8 city easily.

After 20 turns, my capital was still stuck at 3. I forgot to turn off halt growth :lol:

i usually play with creative civs so i don't have to worry about growing borders in the beginning of the game. but when i don't:

1st thing i made when i created my 2nd city was build a obelisk (it would take say 15 turns); 3rd city, obelisk too (also 15 turns)

when both obelisks are built and i'm very happy, i look at my capital and notice that i coulda built the stonehedge there in around 10 turns. duh!!

Falling behind in the tech race and being perplexed about it for hundreds of years, I finally checked my civics and found that I had not swithced to Representation after completing the Pyramids about a thousand years earlier. (This is why old people wited notes.):old:

getting a worker from a village and sending it off to your city unprotected, and getting it owned.

Then getting a settler from a village later in the game and sending it off protected by a scout only to have it get owned by a barbarian. :aargh: :sad:

in on of my games my war was going bad ... so i moved a lot of my defnders closer to that border to make sure he wouldnt invade me .. leaving only 1 def per city all the other civ decide to take adv. of my poorly def. citys and attacked... and btw i dint need those defenders on the front :( lost like 60% of my citys 4 turns l8r... so never move youre armys with out thinking it trough :p

Maybe it's not an idiot mistake but it sure is a big gotcha:

Go to war with a civ that surrounds you on 3 sides then realise that ALL your deals and trade routes you so carefully nutured get annulled when open borders ends with your new enemy.

This cut me off from horses and iron and stone, and my economy very quickly tanked, as I had no more cow trades working. I was a dead duck 20 turns later....

oops.

I've an idiot mistake to share which I made twice in two recent games. Situation is: A pair of workers is chopping forests for wonder rushing. Suddenly a barbarian axe pops up. No problem, I've got a woodsman II archer hanging around at my borders. I place the archer on the worker pair in order to protect them. The turn the axemen attacks is exactly the turn my workers finished their forest chop. Ooops ! The archer of course is a lovely prey for the axe - woodsman II is not a big factor when there is no wood any more... farewell my workers...

LT

I had to take a rival city from Caesar on a nearby continent because mine had no oil. I transported over an invasion force of cavalry, cannon, and riflemen, threw them at the city, and took it with great loss of life.

Then I realized that in my rush for oil, I hadn't brought along nor preserved enough units, particularly riflemen, to hold the city, and all my transports were back home and empty...

GiantRaven said:
:lol: I never understoof why you are able to do that (pillage yourself)
I think that's so you can employ a "scorched earth" policy if you're in retreat. That might just make it more tempting for your enemy to raze your captured cities rather than trying to keep them, though.

.......Not buying the game...............

Not realizing you didn't need a road first before you could build a railroad. I just kept laying down roads then build railroads ontop of them just like in the previous games. I doubled all my railroad building time.

I really hated buyin a Canadian version of the game that didn't give me a paper manual I can sit and read on the subway. I've got to many things I missed.

Top Bottom