1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could bring anything back from a past Civ game what would it be

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by oliver, Apr 26, 2012.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Back to the topic, I found a new thing I'd love back

Ability to ask how Leaders feel about each other,b ecause at this stage we have NO way of finding out the attituted of others, except an occasional DoF and Denouncements, I don't think that's enough.

2. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

I want nuclear missiles to have a limited amount of fuel. Why? You can launch it at any point in the world you want, but the moment it runs out of fuel halfway to target and slams into a neutral's territory instead...

Can we say accidental nuclear war?:D

3. historix69

historix69 Emperor

@PhilBowles

There is an easy way to limit the effect of large empires :
    - make population growth independent of food surplus and city size but mostly dependent on local health system and sufficient food (and wars)
    (- make population growth global)
    - make food a tradeable and transportable ressource
    - allow citizens to manufacture goods in exchange of food
    - allow bigger cities
    - make settlers cost 1 population of the producing city (as in Civ1-Civ3)

Except for the population growth, the mechanics is already known from Colonisation and Civ4Col.

Expansion then means to split your limited population between a number of cities forcing you to build and support more expensive infrastructure which makes your population less effective. (see Russia, the biggest country in the world, but only with small population compared with china (1:10) and small GDP per pop compared with Singapore for example (44:100))

(Compare the gameplay with the very early gameplay in Civ5 where everybody is limited by the same small amount of start-happiness and has to decide if going for 1 big city or 3-4 very small cities to grab ressources early. In the Col-like game the population would be limited.)

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: At this stage, the thread would seem more suited to I&S. Moved.

5. Brawndo

Brawndo Warlord

Public works from Call to Power instead of physical worker units

6. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Hit points per unit, as in civ3.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

:| what do you mean Hit points per unit? Every unit has 10 hit points in vanilla and 100 in God and Kings...? Do you mean per promotions? So 110 on level 2, 120, on level 3 etc?

8. primordial stew

primordial stew Emperor

Each unit can have it's own (base) number of hit points. As an example we could have a division (4 points), a corps (8 points), and an army (12 points). Each could have the same combat strength, but can take a variable amount of damage.

In Gedemon's Stalingrad scenario it's very easy to see an application. The scenario uses 50 hit points, which is desired for the ground units, but it makes the air units far too powerful. Also those AA, arty, and naval units should have many fewer hit points.

9. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Civ2 air units :goodjob:

10. TheMarshmallowBear

... are you talking about Civ 3? You said Civ 3? I never played Civ 2 but the poster above me refers to "Civ 2" so now I'm confused.

11. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I like how granular the Spaceship was in Civ 2. I also like how you could send an incomplete ship to Alpha Centauri in hopes of beating a rival's ship.

I wouldn't be opposed to requiring more parts for a "complete" ship, with the parts being cheaper than they are now.

I also wouldn't be opposed to sending an incomplete ship to AC.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

I liked how they did it in Civ 4, and wish they bring it back at some point in Civ 5.

13. mintcandy

mintcandy King

Oh, one other thing.

I wouldn't be opposed to the reintroduction of the resource satellites from SMAC. :D