Ignas's Innovative Entry

Spoonwood

Grand Philosopher
Ignas has been a player of Tiny and Small maps with several top entries. Most outstanding though, in my opinion, is his Tiny Chieftain 60k game. If you check many, if not also most, of the other multi city cultural tables you will see that their empires never learn Education, or what may be called the ToA strartegy: the strategy of using the Temple of Artemis for its free temples.

Ignas's 60K entry on the other hand uses the power of rails, and I think the power of migrant workers joining towns. This challenges the previous position that not learning Education was optimal. Though it still can get argued that on non-Chieftain maps the Temple of Artemis strategy has more potential than the railroad strategy, because of the auto-selling of buildings if an empire spends more gold than it has it's treasury, his entry suggests that the rail strategy may be more powerful. Perhaps the increased gold requirements on non-Chieftain games can get compensated for, though perhaps they cannot.

Though I have not talked to ignas, I will conjecture that the rail strategy in practice has a few components:

0. Expand to a safe number of tiles below the domination limit.
1. Create several worker pumps. Having rails is convenient for making worker pumps.
2. Take a group of workers to a city which does not have cultural buildings.
3. Join those workers into a city.
4. Pop-rush cultural buildings into existence.
5. Once a city has all the cultural buildings it can except wonders, have it train workers also.

And do more pop-rushing after that.

His 60k entry also has gifted cities to the AIs, apparently to ensure that the domination limit is not tripped over. Forests, jungles, and marshes aren't cleared, because apparently workers are better spent to poprush than transforming the land. I did a little playtest using his 10 AD save and poprushed a coloseeum in a town by first poprushing a musketman, then adding more workers, and finally poprushing the colosseum. I believe I did not know that possibility before.

His game, again with a contrary approach to the more common approach, also got accepted in 2020, 15 years after the release of conquests and the start of the Hall of Fame!

To have an entry that provides empirical evidence for a contrary position to what many top players apparently believed for years, and thus deepens interested players understanding of the game, makes for an achievement of the first rank. The level of achievement here I think is so high that no chart is adequate to measure.

Congratulations ignas!

I'm quite enjoying your musings you've been posting lately!
I believe that is disallowed for GOTM, but is OK for HOF games, as long as you aren't adding workers to a starving city. I wonder if other players used this worker dog pile strategy along with the ToA strategy. Especially on larger maps, there's a nonzero chance you'll have a +10fpt/spt site for a worker pump without rails and 2T worker pumps are a lot more common.
I know in my 100k attempts, while using the ToA strategy, I would set cities with all the cultural builds completed to wealth.

Now if only we could revolutionize SS games...

I believe that is disallowed for GOTM, but is OK for HOF games, as long as you aren't adding workers to a starving city.
The orange exploits section says:

"Despotism and Communism provide the opportunity to finish city production early at the expense of citizen's lives. This may be done with either natively grown citizens or immigrated workers/settlers. However, you may not add workers/settlers to a city to a city that is rioting or starving."

Since manual tile rearrangement gets allowed (and should), I'm thinking that whether a city is starving or not only gets determined at the end of the turn. I can't even imagine adding workers as possible to a starving city without an external program changing the game. When a city is rioting or not I also think only gets determined after one has taken one's turn.

The XOTM competition rules say:

"In despotism and communism it is possible to use cities purely for unit rush building. Workers can be added to such a city and then the city can then use them to rush build units. This is disallowed, so do not create these kind of cities. Pop rushing one or two regular citizens to finish a building or to build a unit is within the rules and the spirit of the game. What is against the rules is joining workers to cities for the purpose of pop rushing."

Thank you for conveying your enjoyment jarred.
Now if only we could revolutionize SS games...
An early draft of this post got entitled "Ignas's Cultural Revolution". But, I looked up the common definition of revolution and it didn't work. Also, there would have been the association with communist China and Mao. And well you know how it goes. Mao sometimes has just got to go.

Hey @Spoonwood,

It's interesting that you brought this up. I've analyzed your Celts 470 AD game (and some other quick 100K culture games) and came up with this theory that extra 4 cpt from a University might allow to finish faster than get "ToA and free temples, avoid Education" tactic.

A town with all cultural buildings - temple/lib/university/cathedral/colosseum - will produce 14 culture per turn while a town without uni will produce 10 cpt. Of course, the downside of that is not generating free culture from ToA and your towns grow significantly slower when you're not agricultural.

My plan was to:
  • Get SGL to build Pyramids
  • Approach dominaltion limit ASAP and build as many towns as possible (domination limit reached around 10 AD with 107 towns)
  • Get Steam Power for rails (got around 210 BC) and Replaceable Parts for quick workers (got at 50 BC)
  • Irrigate everything, max out population and rush buildings in Feudalism
I was comparing culture and cpt with your game, and was lagging significantly, but in the long run my tactic paid off.

For example, at 10 AD I had only 18,600 culture and was making 850 cpt, while your Celts 470 AD game had 25,424 culture and making 949 cpt.

Top Bottom