1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm going to return PTW to Firaxis

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by RedwoodTree, Mar 30, 2003.

1. RedwoodTree

RedwoodTree What's a title for

for the 50th time, after 3 patches, the game continually crashes. If necessary, I'll contact consul to prosecute this. Maybe if we all return it, they will get the idea?

2. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Emperor

I can't recall mine crashing at all.

3. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

PTW 1.21f doesn't work at all for me, it crashes on startup (and yes I do have the American version).

Many different suggestions from Infogrames technical support haven't helped one bit, and now they are dropping broad hints about how downloading a "no cd crack" from elsewhere on the Internet might be the best way to fix one's problem.

*sigh*

-Sirp.

4. Shillen

Shillen Deity

I haven't had a single crash since upgrading here...good luck with your case though.

5. bladester

bladester Warlord

I haven't had PTW crash at all. I own the Aussie version (probably same as US since 1.21f patch works).

Perhaps, the problem is the amount of memory you have or maybe the amount of swap space?

6. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

bladester: My machine is a 1.9Ghz Dell machine, purchased less than a year ago with 256 megabytes of memory and ample swap space.

-Sirp.

7. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

Mine has only crashed after my machine was left in an unstable state after a GPF in Internet Explorer.

Try playing it with sound and/or video acceleration down a notch.

Get the latest drivers (obviously) and shutdown any unnecessary programs you have running.

My Spec:

PC
    Athlon T-Bird 1.1Ghz
    VIA KT-133 chipset
    512mb PC-133 RAM
    GeForce 3 Ti200 64mb Graphics Card
    SBLive! Player 5.1
    2x8.4gb Hard Drives (ancient!)
    DVD-ROM Drive (very ancient!)
    Alcatel SpeedTouch ADSL Modem on a Belkin 4 port USB card

(homebuilt system)

OS
    Windows 98
    DirectX 9.0

Game Versions
    Civ3 v1.29f
    Civ3 PTW v1.14f

8. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

First off, if you send it to Firaxis nothing will happen. The proper legal way to do this is to send it to Infogrames as they are the owners of Civ3.

Second, there is no way I'd do this as it is my favorite game and I haven't had a crash in ages (and those were on the alpha versions).

If you feel you need a lawyer, you better check out what your legal contract with Infogrames is. It's in your readme.txt file, but you explicitly agreed to it when you installed it. Here's a snippet of the most relevant sections to give your lawyer.

Sorry, about that for those who can't read legal-ese. Ignore it except for this section:

9. Charlie Martel

Charlie Martel Chieftain

Ever since before Civ3 has had patches I've not crashed once. Even when I screw up adding a civ or unit it doesn't crash. It instead tells me the error and then shuts itself down. I wish other games would do that :D

10. Gainy

Gainy Guest

this happened to me all the time when i first got it, do you use Windows xp?, i do, and i just completely deleted everything to do with civ from my computer. Then reinstalled it all again. It now works :), you should try doing it. (someone advised me to do this on civfanatics, thanks)

11. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Warpstorm : the legal stuff is bullsh*t, as you are presented with it only when you install the game - which means you ALREADY bought it and opened it. Hence it has absolutly NO value.

12. etj4Eagle

etj4Eagle ACME Salesman

However, it does state that if you don't agree with it, just return it to the place you bought it from and they are obligated to give you a full refund.

13. RedwoodTree

RedwoodTree What's a title for

RE: "Infogrames Interactive warrants for a period of ninety (90) days following original retail purchase "...

I don't believe firaxis/infogrames has fixed the problems with the game, but true it doesn't now "crash", it just generates out of sync errors, locks up, and all, but doesn't "crash". I'm just sick and tired of having a company deliver crap, expect us to pay for it, and just sit there and take it without doing anything.

14. bladester

bladester Warlord

Yeah, Greyhawk1 is correct. On my machine, P2 400MHz, 192MB ram, I make sure to close all background apps except ICQ or MSN messenger.

Also, I have found that shutting down virus scanners helps A LOT.

15. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

RedWoodTree:

It's probably a problem on your end and not firaxis's end.

16. JJP

JJP Great Player

PTW 1.21f works just fine. No problems. :)

17. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Yes, that's probably it. The program is flawless - however the universe is inexplicably incompatible with it. Can't blame Firaxis for that :mischief:

18. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Well, considering how many differant situations a computer to be in, and the fact (I think it's a fact anyway) that it works with most computers, it's probably something on your end that doesn't work with something stupid on their end ;)

19. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

It would seem - just looking over the number of posts from successful players on this site alone - that the problem lies not with the game but with your configuration. I wish you luck - because I've been enjoying this game since the day it hit the shelves close to zero crashing. Only crashes I ever had were the vanilla, pre-patched multiplayer or when I'm using somebody's jacked up mod (this includes my own poorly designed mods).

Unfortunately its not just up to the power of your machine - even machines from the manufacturer come with so many pre-installed programs that this may be your confict. Go through the processes list in your task manager and shut everything down. Especially make sure you don't have anti-virus running (as a test).

I for one play multiplayer with anti-virus and a web site with SQL Server running on my machine while streaming web radio into WinAmp - through DSL on an 800MHz machine. I think you will find equally remarkable feats occurring on a daily basis from others here on this site. BTW, a 'CivFanatics' site is probably not the best choice of places to flame Civ. However, if you are interested in working through your problem you'll probably find a LOT of help here. Great community for a great game!

Good luck.

20. Romanus

Romanus Ruler of CivRome

I still have crashes with PTW...usually late game. Not all the time.

But, aside from that, its very playable. I cant think of a game I have that doesnt crash on occasion.