i'm new

well, the reason I like big maps is because I do have a want for having a bigger empire lol, if it's too small, i feel to tightly packed in, but i'll try large/one below that, see how it is.

I absolutely hate India! They started settling inbetween my cities, because i spread them out, BUT, I do this because once I get a temple/granary in them, their borders expand and i will cover more land eventually, with less cities... that's generally how i think

and how many AI's are suggested to play with? I usually do about 6/7, whatever the number that the dropdown boxes say random,

is it possible to be locked in the ancient era? that would be awesome

Well my empire will encompass the entire world as I conquest the map. City placement as nothing to do with the amount of land in my empire.

Std map is 8 civ
Large is 12
Huge is 16.

Not in the std, no way to stay in the AA, other than not research any techs past it.

well, the reason I like big maps is because I do have a want for having a bigger empire lol, if it's too small, i feel to tightly packed in, but i'll try large/one below that, see how it is.

I absolutely hate India! They started settling inbetween my cities, because i spread them out, BUT, I do this because once I get a temple/granary in them, their borders expand and i will cover more land eventually, with less cities... that's generally how i think

and how many AI's are suggested to play with? I usually do about 6/7, whatever the number that the dropdown boxes say random,

is it possible to be locked in the ancient era? that would be awesome

Be careful about spreading out your cities too much. Corruption and waste increases with distance, so it's usually better to have them closer to the capital. Cities for resources you need are a different matter. A lot of people favor having the cities 3 tiles apart. However, the cities India is settling inside your land should be yours soon.

Cities that are too far from your capital are too corrupt to waste with a temple/granary. Irrigate and run a couple of scientists. It's about all the corrupt cities can do.

I suggest you play with the maximum number of AI's. Otherwise you spend forever expanding peacefully. I prefer more active expansion.

Regarding garrisons. If you run Republic or Democracy, your interior cities don't need any garrison as long as you remember not to give Right of Passage to anybody. Your forces should be on the frontier to repel attacks that may come or to attack the AI to get cities and resources. With fewer garrison forces, the unit support shouldn't be a problem. Tip: The AI respects offensive units (like archers) more than defensive units (like Spearmen).

I used to always run Democracy. Now I never do. The cost of the 2 optional techs and anarchy is just too high for me. War weariness is terrible in Democracy and you need war in this game to thrive. If you find the 150% worker speed means a lot to you, that means you didn't build enough workers. 1.5 per city is more or less the standard in the mid-game. Don't scrimp on workers! If you are working unimproved tiles, you need more workers.

There have been debates in this forum about the favorite government. You might like to look at a couple of them. Most prefer Republic but read the debates and decide for yourself.

well you guys seem to build archers/warriors i'm assuming right?

the reason I don't build them is because they get outdated in the game pretty fast, where as, the spearman can upgrade every Era,

it's not so bad actually, in Complete Edition,

Archer > Long bowman > Medevil Infantry > Guerilla > TOW Soldier

^Same with the Warrior

I now only put 2 warriors per city, is that good? I'm not so fawn of any other government except for Facism/Communism (Aren't I evil?) mostly because their strict, and corruption is lower, I usually start wars on the weaker AI and let my allies take them out, and then I take forever to take out my allies later in the game

Also, Facism is very good for me becauuse, in a game I'm playing now, i've taken up every bit of land I can so far, it's like a little island connected to the rest of the pangae by one little square of land, if I go off that little square, i'm in greek territory, Facism causes people to leave your cities but i've noticed my cities don't increase in population so fast, so i don't need to cause war with the greeks to expand, if you guys get what i'm saying,

EDIT: here are some screenies of what I have now.

http://i51.tinypic.com/oqapgm.jpg < As you can see through the minimap, there is greek territory past hispalis, i won't expand behind him because i'll just have a big seperation from one part of my empire from the other

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zmngc6.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/sg3k95.jpg

Unless I am in an Always War variant or in some trouble, I won't built archers. Spears are not needed at low levels either. Make a few warriors, don't upgrade them and don't worry that they are out of date.

They are not going to be used and if not in a gov that allows MP, probably disband then later. Read my tutorial for Regent or even the Roadmap for Warlord to see the reasons. Complete is just C3C, what most are playing on this forum for some time.

Really a rare thing to need guerilla and pretty much never ToW in a std game. Get to knights with as few of the slow movers as you can get by with. A few pikes on the front line with a few attacking units is enough for peaceful playing.

A geurilla looks pretty efficient, 6-6-1

Their pretty strong in both defence/offence, they would make good squads, about 4 squads of 4 geurillas (yay for bad spelling?, i'll just put gorillas instead) is decent to take on 2 cities (for me.. i'm not as good as you people :/)

TBH, i haven't used them yet, i've just been trying out different civilizations because play the world has a TON of new civilizations. so i haven't really gotten to that age yet.

A geurilla looks pretty efficient, 6-6-1

Their pretty strong in both defence/offence, they would make good squads, about 4 squads of 4 geurillas (yay for bad spelling?, i'll just put gorillas instead) is decent to take on 2 cities (for me.. i'm not as good as you people :/)

TBH, i haven't used them yet, i've just been trying out different civilizations because play the world has a TON of new civilizations. so i haven't really gotten to that age yet.

Guerillas are good generalists, but they are bad at either job. You would be better at using a different unit.

There is nothing wrong with guerilla units, except they are too late to really use. Why would I want a 1 move 6 attack unit in the IA, when I would have stacks of cav that move 3 and attack at 6?

Why would I want to build a 6 def, when I should have or will soon, a 10 def infantry? What can I do with 4 guerilla, that I could not have already done with 4 cavs and sooner and faster?

I'll take a look at the archive :)
and i've been playing as greece, on a large (not huge, for once >.>) map, i don't have to wait a lifetime between turns, and i've wiped out Egypt, and Ottomans

i just met Sermia or however you spell it, on another island, i have 3 more to meet, and i will begin my conquest ;)

and the Geurillas, what good would they be? mostly for defense? if not what units are best for each era?

Ancient Era
Medevil Era
Industrial Era
Recon Era
Modern Era

If you have Nationalism researched, Riflemen are just as good as Guerillas for defence (both have 6 defence, and the extra 2 offence for the Guerilla doesn't matter much if you are using them defensively). If you have Replaceable Parts and Rubber, Infantry are undoutedbly better at defence and just as good at offence if you have to use them for that (for instance, to take out a 1-hitpoint Cavalry that failed to win a battle and retreated). I mainly use Guerillas in areas where rubber is not available.

If you have no Rubber (once you discover Replaceable Parts), securing some should be a top priority. Ideally you'll be able to strike quick with Cavalry. But if you have no Cavalry either, and were hoping to strike with Tanks (which require Rubber), then a targeted offensive to capture Rubber with Guerillas and lots of Artillery is probably about the only option left, and had best be done before the enemy gets Infantry (if possible).

My preferred units by era:

Ancient

Swordsman. Although not fast, it's by far the strongest unit of the era. The upgrade path isn't great, but if I'm fighting wars in the Ancient Age, this is the only unit that's both a challenge to kill and good on the offense. Horsemen have a better upgrade path and are fast, but cost no less and are considerably weaker. Iroquois Mounted Warriors and Egyptian War Chariots are worthwhile, however, and preferable to Swordsmen. (side note: building a large number of Horsemen in preparation for a mass-upgrade to Knights when you discover Chivalry [if you have a lot of gold] and then going on a rampage can be devastating and may be worth forgoing building many Swordsmen).

Medieval Era

Early on, Knights. Although expensive, they're both more durable and strike more quickly than Medeival Warriors, and thus worth it (ideally you'll be able to position them two squares from a city on a hill/mountain or in a forest - they can still strike, and unlike horsemen, they'll put up a good defence). Later on, Cavalry. Beelining for Cavalry is not a bad strategy, as long as you are playing militaristically.

Industrial Times

For most of the Industrial Times, Cavalry are still the best offence. Nevertheless, getting Infantry early on is often worthwhile if you are in heavy wars, oftentimes making it worth it to skip Nationalism entirely (although War-Time militarization may be enough to justify going for Nationalism). Artillery also proves to be very useful once the enemy gets a strong defence, and is generally a better long-term investment than Bombers - just be sure to protect them. Tanks eclipse Cavalry in my books, although there will be times even in the late Industrial/early Modern times where the speed of Cavalry (as reinforcements) will prove crucial to tipping the balance in a close battle. Thus, I'd advise keeping at least some Cavalry around (even if no new ones are trained) until Modern Armor are available. Cavalry can also be better than Tanks when facing weak opponents due to their speed.

Modern Era

Modern Armor are doubtless the best land unit, and going for them first is usually a sound military strategy (but remember they need aluminum and thus Rocketry). However, if you are suffering a successful invasion, a diversion to Mechanized Infantry first may be a better choice to stem the enemy tide. TOW aren't usually worth it unless you lack the raw materials for Mechanized Infantry, and Cruise Missiles, while cool, are a generally poor value. Keeping a couple around, on the railroad lines, to finish off ships that get too close to your shore (but aren't within the range of your air force) is okay, but using Cruise Missiles as your general-purpose artillery isn't cost-effective.

Of course, it's not a good idea to build only these units - by all means, build Pikemen instead of Knights for defensive missions. But these are generally the best bang-for-the-buck offensive units.

Looking at your screenshots, your empire appears to be developing fairly well. The only red light is that you have many cities building Wealth. Generally Wealth doesn't generate enough gold to be worthwhile, especially before Economics. Cities generating wealth will also never ask what to build next, which may result in forgetting about them for many cities, leaving them underdeveloped (not that I've ever done that before :mischief:). There are times when it's a sensible choice - better than choking your economy with more Warriors if you don't plan to go to war, and it may be for the best in remote, entirely corrupt cities. But most of the time, building Libraries, Courthouses, or Marketplaces is a better investment.

I guess we have the same Modern/Industrial taste :p

i'm pretty proud, i got my first complete win (embaressed lol) with greece, in Regicide mode.

I got "Alexander the Conqueror" on that circus thing when you finish a game.

Anyways,

i'm not so good with gold, if i'm going to wage war in the ancient era that involves me wiping another civilization out, that's going to be hard for me, usually when I start a war in the ancient, it doesn't end until the Industrial age or so, i'll try swordsmen out if i'm not using Rome/Greece/Persia,

umm, out of curiosity, what is the best civilization to use to keep a positive income and a strong army all at once? in your opinion

Any commercial one should work. Most likely you are building too many spears and not enough towns. Often too many happy structures. Use F1 to see where the money is going. Ignore the corruption part, just focus on maint, unit cost and income.

Raise the incoming and lower the maint cost. Get moretowns and grow them to cities to offset the unit cost, unless in Demo, but why would you even learn demo?

actually i've taken the advice you all have said, i only put 2 warriors/whatever unique unit the civilization has in each city, and i expand just like cancer :p

then the problem is, once i'm done expanding, the cities keep growing in population, go into civil disorders, and what i kept doing was making settlers, disbanding them, remaking, re-disbanding.. =/

^that frustrates me

then the problem is, once i'm done expanding, the cities keep growing in population, go into civil disorders, and what i kept doing was making settlers, disbanding them, remaking, re-disbanding.. =/
Either manipulate the Food production of cities to level off their growth, don't build Acqueducts, spend more money of Luxury Taxes, get more Luxury Resources and Marketplaces, or hire Clowns. Or some combination thereof - Luxes + Markets is the best, particularly once you get 4+ Luxes.

I am never done expanding. If cities get unhappy, make them happy. Core cities get some happy structure as was mentioned, markets, temple, should be all you need, when added to lux slider.

Use slider to 20 or even 30%, if needed. In corrupt places, don't build that stuff, use specialiast instead, mainly scientist.

If you are in Republc, no need to have 2 units in towns. Only put units in the battlefield or in frontline towns that could come under attack. If you are in Monarchy, then cheap obsolete unit can provide MP duty.

Have you read my tutorial in the Strategy forum, it will cover these concepts with turn by turn reporting in the early phase.

actually i've taken the advice you all have said, i only put 2 warriors/whatever unique unit the civilization has in each city, and i expand just like cancer :p

^that frustrates me

While it's good that you're cutting back on units, you still don't need 2 units per city. The more units you have in cities, the more money you spend, and the less units you have attacking the enemy. I generally only put troops in a city A) If there's a possibility that it might be attacked, or B) I'm having happiness problems, and am in a non-representative government which allows military police happiness.
Sometimes having undefended cities inside your territory actually can help, as the AI is attracted to them, and will occasionally ignore everything else to try and reach the city. I've destroyed entire stacks of enemy units by just slowly killing them off a few per turn as they kept marching towards a small, isolated town I had without any defenders in it, on the opposite end of my empire.:crazyeye:

As for civil disorder, you need to either increase your luxury slider (that's the slider beneath the one that controls science on your domestic advisor screen), build more happiness increasing improvements, get more luxury resources, or turn citizens into entertainers. Marketplaces are very useful for controlling unhappiness, as when you have a marketplace in a city, each luxury resource you control gives progressively more happiness. If you have every type of luxury resource in the game, a marketplace can give around 21 happy faces (I'd need to go back and check to see if that's the exact number), which practically eliminates civil disorder problems.

As for gold: While you've mentioned that you prefer fascism/communism, republic and democracy have an advantage they don't, which is a trade bonus. Tiles you control under either of those governments produce more gold than they would otherwise. In addition, both those governments tend to have lower corruption than the totalitarian governments, which means even more gold. Although if you want a full, detailed analysis of which government is better for which situation, there's plenty of threads debating that, mainly in the strategy forum.

If you have every type of luxury resource in the game, a marketplace can give around 21 happy faces (I'd need to go back and check to see if that's the exact number), which practically eliminates civil disorder problems.
Two for the first two, four for the second two, six for the third two, eight for the last two; total is twenty Happy Faces.

Meh, I prefer 2 units in each city now because of Barbarians, i turned off an option to show enemies/my own troops/workers moving, which is dumb i know, but i'm lazy and impatient, i don't feel like waiting all my life watching my units/enemy units walk around..

Also, everytime I leave a city un-manned, civil disorder right after that turn =/

That baiting thing you do, leaving one city open, and dominate any troops marching through your territory to that one city, i'll consider it, but will they still go for it, even if you surround every tile around the city? I did that earlier, and an enemy boat dropped off an archer on my island, without my knowing, and took over that city,

And for some reason i don't get much luxuries :S

I can get them.. by expanding, but most of my empires are HUGE, and is there a way to reduce population? Facism works, but it's so late, and my population starts booming and giving me continous civil disorders early in the game

Top Bottom