I'm surprised the most visible flaw hasn't been much commented on...

I like the mini map. It's less cluttered, and it doesn't show the owner of water-tiles like Civ IV. That was a pretty useless "feature".

The minimap is definitely poor... among other things, you can't drag-scroll the main view by drag-clicking across the minimap like you could in previous games... but that's so far down the list of important problems with the game that it seemed hardly worth mentioning.

Agree with this

Please go back to playing Civ 4 if you hate this game so much

This comments should have autodelete. Can't we get a script that detects the sentence "go back to playing Civ 4" and deletes the post? And maybe we can get a counter, that just adds 1 each time. So we know how many times you wanted to say it.

This comments should have autodelete. Can't we get a script that detects the sentence "go back to playing Civ 4" and deletes the post? And maybe we can get a counter, that just adds 1 each time. So we know how many times you wanted to say it.

Oh come on, you haven't responded to my point that you should just go back to Civ 4 if you dislike civ 5. All of my posts are relevant to the topic of the thread.

Civ 5 appeals to a broader audience and thats why it has been getting great reviews

Oh come on, you haven't responded to my point that you should just go back to Civ 4 if you dislike civ 5.

Trolls don't deserve a response, but if you want one of the many that makes your post nonesense:
OP is saying he doesn't like the minimap. Is civ all about the minimap? So, should he stop playing because he dislikes the minimap?

The minimap in civ 4 sucked. You couldn't even see how a continent was shaped, since sea zones where counted aswell in their border illustration.

The new minimap is at least clear where things are on the map. you can see how many cities an opponent has and where they are, and you can see the shape of your continent.

If you think you can put informations like mountains and forests on a 4x5 Centimeter big screen from the complete map then you are wrong.

It has purposes for clarification alone.

I know that civ 5 has probaply many things missing, but a good minimap isn't one of them.

The minimap is actually pretty good since it keeps being clear for the entire game. allways the complete map is presented in a way that you can work with.

Is there noone else having an issue with the green hue for the land and the green hues for especially India, and to a smaller extent China being barely distinct? I really cannot tell at all.
Other than that, i actually find the minimap fine. Its clinical style wasn't appreciated when i first started playing the game, but i got used to it soon enough.

Is there noone else having an issue with the green hue for the land and the green hues for especially India, and to a smaller extent China being barely distinct? I really cannot tell at all.
Other than that, i actually find the minimap fine. Its clinical style wasn't appreciated when i first started playing the game, but i got used to it soon enough.

Yes and same with some like france and water... Freaking impossible :( Minimap is "ok" by design, looks ugly but whatever. But I hate when I cant make out borders cos of these colour things.

I cannot see what possible use having the terrain information on the minimap could serve. The scale would be too small to be helpful.

Not at all, man. It's great to be able to look down and see the GIANT desert the east or despair as the mass of jungle you're gonna have to cut down. It was also nice seeing enemy units on the minimap (although Civ4 could have been MUCH clearer about this. I always hated how you wouldn' hear that the enemy was in your territory until AFTER they attacked and took/pillaged something.)

It's a shame that when satellites become available you can't see the whole map.

A classy satellite improvement would be to see the map only where your satellite has cover of it, changing turn after turn of course the portion of the " illuminated " map

I kinda like it. Slimmed down and virile. It just needs more functionality.

I never once used the minimap in previous Civs to view terrain types, always left it in political mode when it was an option. Peaks are enough.

The thing I miss about the Civ IV mini-map is that I can't see where my units outside my borders are in the Civ V one. I liked the Civ IV half-tone way of distinguishing between tiles you could see and tiles you'd uncovered but couldn't currently see.

It's a shame that when satellites become available you can't see the whole map.

A classy satellite improvement would be to see the map only where your satellite has cover of it, changing turn after turn of course the portion of the " illuminated " map

There is a mod out to cure this (though hopefully it'll end up in a patch eventually).

About functionality, the only bad thing about the minimap is that we can't click and drag the view. That's horrible.

About the looks, I don't miss any info from civ4, but still think it just doesn't look very pretty.

I seriously never noticed a problem with it. Its certainly different the the one from Civ IV but it seems functional to me.

I do admit, it is rather umm unsightly. :confused:

I was a bit surprised when I first saw it. I only use it to see how far my scouts have gotten and to see how fast the other civs are building cities.

Top Bottom