Imbalanced Spain Starts

Vo01985

Warlord
I was wondering if people could post their most imbalanced Spain starting saves (preferably Deity only, Immortal is fine too). Right now I am in a game where I discovered Barringer Crater on turn 7, so I immediately bought a settler and settled it. I had a game once on Immortal where I discovered GBR on turn 30 or so, pretty close to my capital. I proceeded to reload and walk my starting settler+warrior there to settle it and obviously had a pretty easy game, but it was great fun.
Has anyone had any more success with just over the top imbalanced Spain starts?

If your spain and you find the Fountain of Youth, do units heal at 4 times the normal rate?

no, but if you settle next to it you get +20 happiness.

spain is ridiculous - it's almost 100% luck based, and with a good start it's pretty much an instawin.

I was just thinking since FoY is bugged that if its in your borders any unit in your borders heal at double rate. If that were true, and if as spain you could heal at 4 times the rate, once you capture a city your whole army heals entirly in one turn, Thats a true Instawin!

foy grants a "heals at double rate" promotion to any units who pass by it (regardless of whose borders it is within). this is the same thing persian immortals start with. spain's unique ability does not change this.

I once found Krakatoa on turn 3-4, captured the foutain of youth of a cs and managing to be the first find El Dorado on the other side of the map. Thank you barbs and narrow peninsulas :lol:

I don't have a save for it, but I once found El Dorado, Cerro de Potosi, and Krakatoa all first as Spain, within the first 15 turns, and all roughly within my natural territory area. The only hard part was deciding which to settle first. I settled Cerro and Krakatoa with bought settlers and cruised to victory on Immortal.

Turn 2: Discovered Barringer Crater (+500g)
Turn 7: Discovered El Dorado (+1000g)

Fun.

Are you playing with a mod or something that plots more NWs on a map than are normally given by the game? It's hard to believe to me (I always seem to find them around turn 25 or so) that you could discover 2 NWs within the first 10 turns, let alone the first 7. I understand that you probably bought a unit with the money from discovering Barringer, but still...that only gives you an extra 4 or 5 turns.

So about 12 turns worth of movement and you find 2 NWs? Was there no hills, jungles, forests, or rivers that you could move that quickly?

I've rerolled about 10 times over the course of this Sunday. I have had games where I did not discover a wonder in the first 40 turns, and I have had games where I just rerolled after 15 turns. In this particular one, I found the Crater in the desert with my starting warrior (flat grounds), and settled on a hill so I had my Scout on turn 6 and moved 2x2 tiles NW to discover El Dorado.
I bought a worker with the Barringer Crater (needed 6 more turns to grow city to Size 2 for a settler), and bought 2 settlers to settle the Crater and El Dorado.
Finished Liberty at turn ~60 or so :p Good stuff, if anyone wants the starting save just yell.

Rerolling ruins the fun of playing as Spain. If you're dealt a bad location, i.e. no close NWs, figure out which would be most strategically "acquired" and go about getting it. Use what you ARE given to get what you really want.

That's where the fun is.

Wow, seems people are lucky here.

This sunday I tried 5 starts with Spain. Every single game, I had Napoleon next to me declaring war on me in the first 30-50 turns and had not a single wonder (well, one game I had Mt. Fuji...). To add insult to injury, I didn't even had horses nearby my capital in 3 out of the 5 games (for conquistadors, as I was playing Terra and my plan was to settle the new world).

It is really frustrating. I was so looking forward to a nice Spain game (keep the old world at 1-2 cities, possibly tradition, then beeline astronomy and chivalry and settle the new world for a science win), but nothing was really working. It is really luck based, which I don't really like.

Immortal level: awesome peninsula location, very easy to lock in, expand and defend.

Old faithful on turn 7. Barrier reef - both tiles on turn 17 - and great spot for a science focused city since there were several jungle tiles around too. I rerolled, it was becoming way too easy.

Immortal level: awesome peninsula location, very easy to lock in, expand and defend.

Old faithful on turn 7. Barrier reef - both tiles on turn 17 - and great spot for a science focused city since there were several jungle tiles around too. I rerolled, it was becoming way too easy.

Barrief Reef is insta-win. That wonder is completely over the top as Spain. 4 food, 2 hammers/gold, 4 science for a tile, are you kidding me? Especially if you have this as your second city early in the game (or restart the save and move your starting settler there like I did), it becomes ridiculous.

I don't have the save anymore but I started in North America on a huge Earth map. It was a wierd game as well: two CS settlers spawned within 3 tiles of my capital for some reason, and just stood there, equalling 2 free workers on turn 1-5. Then I found the 3 NA NW's one after the next for 1500g. Settled Barringer and GM and got +6 happiness from OF. Freewin if ever I saw one.

Are you playing with a mod or something that plots more NWs on a map than are normally given by the game? It's hard to believe to me (I always seem to find them around turn 25 or so) that you could discover 2 NWs within the first 10 turns, let alone the first 7. I understand that you probably bought a unit with the money from discovering Barringer, but still...that only gives you an extra 4 or 5 turns.

So about 12 turns worth of movement and you find 2 NWs? Was there no hills, jungles, forests, or rivers that you could move that quickly?

That's lucky but it isn't unheard of. I've found NWs really close to my city before.

Top Bottom