Immigration Now What?

Zardnaar

Deity
Another moral question here.

The article
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national...-deportation-exploitation-immigration-adviser

The government has extended around 100000 visas during the lockdown period. There workers are legal.

So far we haven't had the collapse the USA has had. Unemployment is up 30k, proportional to America it's the equivalent of about a million.

These workers are not residents or citizens of NZ and do not qualify for welfare.

Due to the lockdown a lot of them can't work. Even in two weeks assuming things open up a lot of jobs are going to evaporate. More job losses are in the way with 3 waves expected. Unemployment is exoected to hit 11-13%. In the great depression it hit 15%.

The government spent 10 billion in a month on wage subsidies. They run out in June. Wave two expected of job losses.

Some parts of the country in tourist hotspots are looking at 30% unemployment.

Government income is 93 billion a year or was. That's gonna take a hit, expected costs are 50 billion a year. Scaled up to USA per capita about 3 trillion. Per year.

Personally I don't mind if they get short term access to welfare but we can't
really support an extra 100k long term. Things aren't expected to recover until 2022/3.

Obviously they will try and fly as many home as possible but that's not gonna be that viable either.

They're throwing 100 million to try and help homeless people. That 100k is about 20-3 times as many as our homeless depending on how you count them. Living on the street vs living in a garage.

In the great depression we had work camps for the unemployed but idk if that's viable these days. I don't think we have enough hotel rooms to house then either as that's under strain already due to emergency housing in lockdown.

Benefits won't cover rent costs in some places where they live.

Not all will require support but yeah not looking good. What do you do?

Why not just send them all back to where they came from? that seems like the easiest and cheapest solution? If you make them stay, it seems that there is an obligation to support them.

Why not just send them all back to where they came from? that seems like the easiest and cheapest solution? If you make them stay, it seems that there is an obligation to support them.

Article explains why.

Airports are generally closed. Rich countries like Germany used charter flights to bring Germans home. Alot will be from India and the Islands.

NZers also not big on US style raids to deport people. So you would have to find them and arrest then if they didn't want to go.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/the-1970s/1976

Didn't go over well, google dawn raids NZ if you care. Public's not big on dragging people kicking and screaming to airplanes. En masse anyway obviously we deport some people.

First I suggest that you try and Hold onto all the skilled and high paying workers, by extending their visas even if it means paying them welfare, for at least 6 months hopefully the situation will stabilize by then
For all the low skilled workers, I would offer them free flights back to home countries paid for by the NZ government, along with a small settlement package this will act like a carrot, you will also need a stick as well to encourage people to make themselves available such as illegals will be subject to immediate deportation if caught. NZ will need to make a few examples like those with criminal records and barred from returning post pandemic.

We are also in the same boat, but the government is going to pay out business to keep workers on the books. Iam not sure if this is a better strategy either

First I suggest that you try and Hold onto all the skilled and high paying workers, by extending their visas even if it means paying them welfare, for at least 6 months hopefully the situation will stabilize by then
For all the low skilled workers, I would offer them free flights back to home countries paid for by the NZ government, along with a small settlement package this will act like a carrot, you will also need a stick as well to encourage people to make themselves available such as illegals will be subject to immediate deportation if caught. NZ will need to make a few examples like those with criminal records and barred from returning post pandemic.

We are also in the same boat, but the government is going to pay out business to keep workers on the books. Iam not sure if this is a better strategy either

Doing that here as well. When the subsidy runs out they think wave 2 layoffs will start.

A lot of these workers aren't high skilled. Agricultural, tourism, hospitality etc.

Idk if they even want to stay. Even if they go illegal the works not there and it's hard to employ them illegally en masse.

I wouldn't want to go to NZ even if they'd pay me ! Rub that on Your face. Poland is so much more superior ! xD

I wouldn't want to go to NZ even if they'd pay me ! Rub that on Your face. Poland is so much more superior ! xD

Covids no big deal and our unemployment is probably gonna be half of the USA.

Worst places in world to sit out what's coming.

Top Bottom