Immortal University 49 - Catherine

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by TheMeInTeam, Jun 22, 2010.

1. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

t193

Spoiler :

No Contact.

I am the guy that chases 2 birds and gets none. I am losing out on everything. its tough to sit there and watch the AI grab the stuff you want; first MoM, DR, then Lib by 8 turns.

So now I have 9 cities and 2 religions. I am gonna tech Music go passive and see if I can ride out a cultureal victory. But I kinda doubt it.

2. Sidney Magal

Sidney Magal Latin Lover

1300AD

Spoiler :
    I was met by Willie and his master Isabella, which allowed me to backfill the techs I'd need to get a goodie from liberalism.

And here we stand in 1300AD. Unless I'm attacked soon, game is over.

And the opposition.

To the ones who have already met all the AIs.
    Spoiler :
    It's funny, but in my game there was no monster Montezuma, there's a big Montezuma and a bigger Kublai, but no run aways. Does anyone know why that happens?

TMIT, the thing with humans is that, although sometimes you can get surprised by more inventive minds, they (we?) tend to follow some simple patterns and, also, to lose morale at the first more serious difficulty. Besides, most MP players have little or no idea how to develop a serious economy or protect themselves from some nasty surprises.
    There was once I was playing a Pangaea game and there was a guy playing as the Khmer totally growing large. He was doing some sort of SSE/WE. His capital was coastal in the end of his empire and I was Sitting Bull in the other end of the map. While he had a massive army (although backwards), he only had a warrior defending his capital. As people forget that Pangea maps also have oceans, all I had to do was raze his capital and he quit. At that time, the only one who could beat me quit the game.
    I reckon that good players are indeed much more difficult than the computer, but finding good players to play with is really, really hard.

3. Inso

Inso Warlord

Yes it is 3H, very nice boost and it makes AG finish the same turn as a worker. These types of numbers matching really pleases me for some reason. The incense will be a great boost too hopefully, plains incense is very rare and actually pretty decent unlike that silly desert one.

Played a bit and...

Spoiler :

It wasn't a certainty, messed around getting a few cities up and once I got to priesthood at 1480BC it was gone already (!). Must be some industrious types around. Really wanted the religion from COL too. :(

Settled 2N1W of the pig for a cottage city followed by 2N of the stone for a little hammers city and to hopefully get the 'mids. Am 1 turn from completion now at 925BC. Going to settle the rest of the island next and ramp up the rep specs for some quick lib of astro hopefully.

4. budweiser

t300

Spoiler :

Resigned. Attacked by Kublai with carrier battle groups, cannon and 20 cavalry. I have tech parity but not enough troops to defend the island.

5. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Immortal/Normal 1 AD
    Spoiler :

Settled on the marble and went for the Great Lighthouse in my second city by the stone, I'm thinking about bulbing Great Scientists into early astronomy... Ended up getting a late oracle - Metal Casting allowing me to pop a Great Engineer. Picked up pyramids and settled all the food sites after that putting in library first so I can run 2 rep scientists in each city at pop 3/4.

Decided to try for the Great Library and parthenon so went aesthetics first. The GL will go in the stone/pigs/fps city as it is best set up to get the NE in and the GS's I will need to bulb astro. Moscow popped a GS and so the plan is to bulb machinery, optics then astronomy. After that I likely go straight for chemistry and *privateers in the hopes of disrupting the AIs.

6. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Immortal/Normal 1000 AD
    Spoiler :

Bulbing into optics allowed me to make this trade:

I picked up music and traded for feudalism so I could get started on guilds - gunpowder - chemistry.

After that I bulbed philosophy and used the music GA for a caste/pacifism golden age that gave me 3 Great Scientists. Decided not to bulb chemistry - it took 7 turns, instead I setup a couple academies and will bulb education?

At 1000 AD I stopped after finishing chemistry... I could get liberalism so I should probably do that and take steel from it. Steel gives me the drydock and I need that since I intend to attempt to privateer blockade every AI city :)

I'm not even sure at what point I want to go to war. I should map trade and think about it.

Question
    Spoiler :

Spanish have the hand because I refused their demands. Will they just prep for war until they get astronomy and can actually attack me? Or drop war prep at some point?

7. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

@ Grashopa:
    Impressive play as usual. To answer your question - I had a game once where I refused a Shaka demand, he went WHEOOHRN and waited several centuries to get Astronomy and attack me. So, it can happen sometimes.

8. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

@Grashopa
    Spoiler :
    Yeah unless she gets caught in another war she will prep until astro from my experience. Could always bribe someone on Izzy to take care of that issue though...

9. budweiser

@grashopa -

Spoiler :

The same thing happened to me. I refused a demand many turns before she had astronomy. Her big attack ended up being 2 Ship o the Lines bombarding my coast. Then I bought peace.

10. Gotag

Gotag Warlord

If you don't mind my asking, what was your starting tech path?

Spoiler :
    Also why Rostov (4th city) so early on the Island? Prevent barb galleys? Trying to find an AI via border pops as early as possible? The pig/horse/fish site next to Moscow is superior to the island site

Thnks for any info

Gotag

11. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

@ Gotag:

Spoiler :
    The offshore trade from the island city gives good commerce, and Grashopa built the Great lighthouse so he gets plenty of trade routes.

12. Gotag

Gotag Warlord

I didn't think of that at all.

So the benefit would be the three local (ie that city) trade routes at +1 each and also one other city that was trading with Rostov would have one of it's routes at +1. Probaby scales with size. Indeed very nice, sort of Civs equivilent of a Zwichenzung.

Gotag

13. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Actually, I think that when I built a city on the same spot (without the GL), most if not all of my coastal cities had a trade route to there. Don't ask me to explain how it works, I have no idea. :confused:

In fact, here's my save for 1AD, you can see for yourself. Every city trades with Yakutsk, and not just the coastal ones. So, an offshore trading post is pretty cool whether you have the GL or not.

Attached Files:

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Strictly speaking, an off-coast city benefits you so long as you lack foreign trade to cover all trade routes. Cities always pick their most valuable trade route configuration (note: this is not an insignificant part of turn lag). However with domestic routes early on, that city is going to be worth 2 :commerce: to all mainland cities regardless of GLH. Actually, the only difference GLH makes in that one case is that the coastal city itself hangs an extra 2 2:commerce: trade routes. In a 6 city empire, the benefit from settling that city on trade > benefit from GLH (but only for that one city mind you).

Anyway, settling it is arguably a good idea regardless, it's just an issue of timing.

15. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Gotag
    Spoiler :

I believe I needed the commerce on the island when I settled it. The 4th city adds a big jump in maintenance, but that city more than paid for itself which is unusual for a 4th city.

I believe I went Ag fishing wheel sailing masonry.. Fishing to run the 2f2c tile asap... Also wanted the GLh and needed wheel to hook up the stone. After that I wanted to go straight for monarchy for happiness.. Figured oracle monarchy perhaps.. Then I realized I could settle my third city by that fish and provide the fishing boat from my second city. I had this city only run coastal tiles and was able to get a lot of commerce out of it. That made me make a weak attempt at oracle -> MC which obviously gets me the GE for machinery bulb to setup my GS optics/astro bulbs. ( I had to research bronze and pottery AFTER starting the oracle ) But I actually had a lot of beakers at that time.

EDIT - so settling the southern fish city is also commerce related and also suboptimal if I hadn't been rushing through the tech tree early.
    EDIT2 - The great wall went ridiculously late - 1760ish? The failure cash from it allowed me a 100% slider which was 30+bpt I believe and nabbed me oracle->MC

16. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

nihil - about your game at 1000 AD
    Spoiler :

Lib nationalism and get the Taj from where you are. Use the Taj GA to grab some Great People. You won't be attacking anyone for a long time and some GM trade missions would be huge. I'm curious what your beakers look like post oxford this game in comparison to my game. I likely go for lib, but won't be building universities until I've privateer'd the world :) I also moved my palace there if I didn't mention it.

17. CivilizedTiger

CivilizedTiger Prince

And failed again
    Spoiler :

I really don't understand how you people managed to spawnbust here. Is it something only possible at normal speed or am I missing something here?

I settled on the marble, improved the riverside grassland mine first, then the corn to grow faster into another mine, then a plain hill mine.

I trained worker first, then only warriors, seriously, only warriors, but by the time half of them got into position, archers started killing those en-route to their posts. I know this is an immortal game and I'm no way near this difficulty level, but... cmon, I should be able to spawnbust. I really don't understand what the others involved in this game did that I failed to do here.

18. Sidney Magal

Sidney Magal Latin Lover

Civilized Tiger
    Spoiler :
    Settle the horse site. It's cheaper than keeping a lot of warriors out there if you're not sure how to spawnbust.

19. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

CT
    Spoiler :

I myself didn't see a barb, though I heard them suicide into my warriors a bit. I believe I built 2 warriors. The scout we start with looped around and then sat on the stone site. This was going to be my second city and it fog busts a good area. Second warrior went to the south fish peninsula to bust and the third went in a snow forest busting the northern area. My second city next to the stone built a warrior and I defended from there awhile before pushing out. When he pushed out he already had Woodsman 2 I believe and at that point won't be killed.

20. CivilizedTiger

CivilizedTiger Prince

@Sidney
    Spoiler :

I didn't tech AH, so I don't know where the horse tile is.

@Grashopa
    Spoiler :

So you didn't completely spawnbust the whole island? That's how I interpreted the posts of others, that it was easy to spawnbust the whole island, which as I've seen required 8 or 9 units, forgot the exact number, so quite a lot of hammers need to be spent to spawnbust everything.

On another note, can the barbs start spawning spearmen/axemen if I have no clue about Bronze Working? Or is BW more of a "barbs spearmen start showing earlier" rather than "enables spearmen to show at all" kind of thing?