1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal University XIV

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by silverbullet, Sep 30, 2008.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Didn't see something to attach in a PM so I'm just going to put the next save here:

View attachment 191426

I put a guy in but then thought better of it and tried to switch HC in (punching bag though he may be, I had a surprise on this map). For the life of me though, I can't switch them and retain the original save, so it's just going to be how I had it originally. Note that it is unbelievably hard to steer AI religions - I ran this test save a bunch of times and found that on this (and other) starts it's actually very random - sometimes civs that don't even start with mysticism get an early religion! Strange but there you go.

This is meant to be a challenge and I think it will be. I could have made it harder - I could have put HC on his own island accessible to the rest of the world via sailing but with enough room to whore out techs unbelievably, but I figured this should be playable, so while I tweaked it to be a hard opening it shouldn't be impossible IMO.

2. silverbullet

silverbullet King

A note about deleting copper/horses:
    If the copper/horses happen to be in the capital's BFC, it's better to re-roll the map. The map generator counts those as a resource for the capital, so simply deleting it without adding anything will leave us with a bit less.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Complaining already ;)? I'm kidding.

For this map it was moot - neither was a part of the BFC...er...the capitol location I wound up using (I swapped starting positions for a lot of the AIs because I kind of liked the map layout due to something).

4. silverbullet

silverbullet King

No complaining about this start :) I posted this before looking at it.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

This is another one that brought back memories that weren't so nice (the game went very sour after 1 AD for me back in oct...I guess I was too scared to expand adequately on immortal and didn't read the map the way I should have then), so once again I downloaded a revenge game...

Spoiler :

Joao was pushing space and seems consistently good in this series, but a straight shot to cav/arty was enough to kill washington and cap everybody else.

Man, it's funny to look at myself even a few months back.

That said, I have a question to the forum:

Immediately following this game, I was asked to engineer a very difficult immortal map and did so although certain aspects of it did not work as I intended them.

Would people be interested in another "rough start" setup, this time with me actually standing a chance in it myself :p?

6. Skipity

Skipity Chieftain

These are the easiest types of maps. When I realize it's this type of map i quit playing the game and start over.

It's what I call "Fake Isolated." You have your own island, the AI still needs to get on a boat to attack you, but you still get to make contact and have great trade routes.

I built the mids and got to turn 76 before noticing how easy this map was going to be.