Immortals....For How Long?

Jay

Warlord
Opening Note: A Long Story based on a game im playing right now. I have always wanted to write a story on here and tried one. Didn't work out as much as i wanted it too plus i have far more enjoyment writing like how i am about to. Thanks, give me a chance and please read this first post before clicking back. i know you all do :p Histroy of the game up to this point wont be revealed by me but by the story instead, same goes for relationships between other civilizations.

a Greek Researcher going by the name Herodotus once wrote:

a body of picked Persians under the leadership of Hydarnes, the son of Hydarnes. This corps was known as the Immortals, because it was invariably kept up to strength; if a man was killed or fell sick, the vacancy he left was at once filled, so that the total strength of the corps was never less -and never more- than ten thousand.

Of all the troops in Persian army, the native Persians were not only the best but also the most magnificently equipped; their dress and armor I have mentioned already, but I should add that every man glittered with the gold which he carried about his person in unlimited quantity. They were accompanied, moreover, by covered carriages full of their women and servants, all elaborately fitted out. Special food, separate from that of the rest of the army, was brought along for them on camels and mules.

~Herodotus

Men and Women all over greece spoke of these so called...immortals and upon reading an account of them by Herodutus saw them as either great men or just another exagerated account Herodutus has conjured. But this was only an early account, later they would know immortals for who they are. Immortals are split into two types of people although only themselves see it. Others see them as just soldiers but each one is unique, probaly with a family and thier own social life among the other soldiers of the army.

The Two types of Immortal, the first is the most numerous. These were the men broken then moulded into a soldier. Being broken by the people who do it is easy, therefore they make up the bulk of the army and thats a good thing. You need discipline in an army because riots and muntany could be a problem. Not a single case of this has happened in the persian army of immortals making them well known throughout the continent.​

The second and most poweful type was a true immortal, some were once broken themselves but then may of witnessed something to boil anger in them. Forcing them into a eternal rage which unleashes in battle, these were the pople who became officers for bravery. Bravery was what they called it but in truth it was stupidity. These officers were assigned to break those new recruits and became very good at it over time.​

This story follows two of these soldiers, the first to become none of these two types. The first who could think for themselves and took life through instinct. It started with one but grew to be 2 in time. The first was Rad, a veteran soldier who woke up on Arabian Soil remembering nothing of what just happened except his name. To the south he looked around to find the town of Baghdad set alight and thousands of immortals flying into the walls.

'Go! Get up! Go Go Go!' A man had screamed into his ear, he looked around to see a tall man, dressed exactly the same as himself. Then to his left on the floor....dead a native warrior of the arabian nation.
'Thats the last and only time i save your life, i am impressed that you surived that blow....now get moving!' He screamed once more. Rad gets up and runs towards the town not looking back and having no idea of what to do when he gets there but nonetheless he runs on a falt road, flaming boulders flew overhead in the night lighting up the battlefeild littered with bodies of the people. And also some soldiers too scared to fight although so cowardly they steal from the dead. For minutes on end he ran although to himself it seemed like days, the world would freeze when he saw a dead face looking at him. Rad suddenly trips over on something and looking down he sees another arabian native dead. he had just tripped other him and looking back he could see great massive catapults mounted acorss a hill and thousands of heads marching towards the city. He couldnt get up frozen, Rad had no idea what was going on or how he felt...scared? why would he be? he has no idea what the hell is going on and hasnt regained focus.

Minutes passed and People started running past, they held scimitars and spears and wore green tops lined in gold thread easily mistaken for real gold. Thier footsteps snk in the ground, Rad couldnt understand how it could be wet but soon realised blood was the ground soaker. Mud and Blood mized on the battlefeild.

One soldier carried no weapon at all but instead a lot of armour, as he ran past Rad he must of tripped a little because he caught him on the head as he was still sitting up, the blow must of triggered something as he got up right away and shouted.

'Come on! Lets give em what they asked for!' Others starting chanting the words too and Rad watched in amazment this influence he just created. He was surprised again when a young soldier ran to him and called him something

'We are in need of your assistance! Follow me' He insisted and ran away into the ranks behind. Rad followed and appraoched a small tent which had 2 Guards posted outside each holding a scimitar in each hand. Rad noticed on the reflection of the blade more Flaming Boulders flying over the battle. Rad moved his hand to open the tent and entered.

General Knowledge: Arabians fooloshly delcared war on the Persians and they retatliated by sending massive forces to thier border city of Baghdad accompinied by catapults. The Catapults are in range but the infantry divisions are yet to reach the city.

I had to rush a bit so not as detailed i would like, i will edit tomorrow though. Hope it makes sense nonetheless.

Feedback is encouraged!

Timeline

200BC
Assault Of Baghdad

Last Edit: September 10th, Started Timeline

Thanks, i hope to continue writing. I already have lots to write but i goota go get those GCSE's (English) at school hehe.

Entry is edited with more detail

Rad walked in and saw how the tent looked smaller from the outside. It may of been the large table centered in the middle. The ground was still visible showing a worn down grass now semi-hard mud. Around the table were 2 men, and on the table a map spanning the whole table, maybe about just over a metre in width and a little under 2 metres in length. The paper was thick brown obviously Persian made and had 4 rocks on all 4 corners to hold it down. On the map was a drawing of what Rad thought could be the immediate area around the city. But it actually showed some nearby cities too.

'Hello Lieutenant' 1 man said. He had a shaved head (all over) and wore a smile from ear to ear as he put out his hand towards Rad. Rad was confused but shaked his hand nonetheless. 'I'm the leading Captain here, and that well makes me your commanding officer' His smile got surprisingly bigger and he laughed a little at the end of the sentence.

Rad let out a little 'Hi' and then before he could say something else he heard the last man speak. He was very short....being a 3 foot tall midget an all. He was standing on the table and he stoped at the edge sitting down. He had black hair going down to his neck, he was rather skinny especially for someone as small as himself.

'Im Ali' He let out a tough low voice as he spoke 'I'm the Commander here and also may i say the highest ranking officer for a long way off so dont get on my bad side because here, my word is law.' Rad looked still confused and trying to decipher if that was a threat or not.

'Er sir....Why am i even here?' Rad wondered why he was here, he wasnt a soldier or a Lieutenant....was he?

The Midget Ali spoke first 'Well i guess your commanding officer hasnt even informed you of anything' He gave a dirty and slightly mad look at the captain 'We appraoch Baghdad in about 1 day at the most dpepnding on how our Captains do things. We need some plans of what the hell we are going to do when we get there! Luci was killed only 2 days ago and knowledge of his war plans has died with him.' Rad, as confused as ever realised that Ali has misunderstodd his question. He really wanted to know what he was doing in a war! why the hell he was put out here with no training all even a weap- Rad felt something on his side and saw a long sword curved backwards. The curve Rad knew was so you could cut victims more so then a straight blade would. Backward curves on swords were made so you could cut easier but dismembering was made much harder. Rad had no idea how he knew this and his head was starting to hurt from all this inforomation or maybe it was an incredible pain from a cut cleany place on the left side of his head.

'Right lets have a look then' The Lieutenant said, Rad still didnt know his namne but wasnt really bothered by it. Rad watched as Ali placed wooden carvings of large cubes inscribed with names, perhaps Rad realised it must repersent units of soldiers.

The The Lieutenant carried on with 'Now as you can see we have 4 Units of soldiers each with at least 5,000 thousand men except the Unit with no label (carry on reading if you feel puzzled according to the map). The Unit with no label.

'Well it needs a name lad!' Ali the midget cried.
'Yes Yes i was getting round to that, each unit has a name although it doesnt show it on these carvings. You are leader of the unlabeled unit Rad' The Lieutenant put on that now signature smile again.
'What!? How am i supposed....to lead?'
'Haha, shocked at this? Well you are normally second in command yes?' Rad already knew they misunderstood the question again. 'Now you have your own unit! 2,000 men are there although im afraid to say that only 200 are really under your command although you have a say with Ali here with thier orders and the such.'
Ali interrupted 'Yes boy im afraid so, you have to pass by orders to me and i the same. Now i will allow to name the unit of course as this is your first unit you commandeed.' Ali looked at him expecting a straight answer but only when he said 'Rad?' did Rad himself realise he better answer quick.
'How about...The Immortals'
'Your going to name it after our army itself? well if you say so..although i would of chose sumthing more flashy.'
'Now the plan as you can see....-'

Rad didnt know what to say so he didnt say anything at all. He needed to pull together, he felt like his head would explode. Then it really felt like it did, Rad eyelids droped and his head hit the ground hard. The last thing he remembered then was the thud of his head hitting the floor.

Rad woke but didnt open his eyes, he heard screaming and clashing of metal. A voice was screaming.

'HELP! MY BROTHER! SOMEBODY HELP....PLEASE' The man must of broke down or something as Rad didnt hear it again. He heard footsteps near him and then a voice again

'Sit still, have some water' A wet sensation filled his mouth and he opened his eyes.

Thanx :D, It is based on the southern border of Persia in my game at that time. From the city of Rufah to Baghdad is about 6-8 squares

Id like to thank you for writing a story about one of the least talked about civs.

eek! i completly forgot about this. It wouldnt let me into this stories thread for some time and i gave up after a couple of days.

Well its time to dig up that story and post a continuation. College is really filling me time you know :D

gonna have to give me one more day on that :( Complaints go to my College Headmaster :)

Top Bottom