Imperialism II PBEM

Well, presumably, if the Turkish Straits are closed to Russian ships while the Russians and Ottomans are at war, then they would also be closed to ships intending to trade with Russia.

While rules concerning navigation of the Turkish Straits is obviously important to Russia, navigation of the Panama and Suez canals might come up later, and are of concern to the French. I'd prefer to confirm these rules before there is a dispute.

I believe @Patine is next.
Yes, I am up next, but, as I said earlier, I think my computer is dying and may need to be replaced soon. It had a very bizarre crash last night whose manifestation I have never seen the likes of before. I'm not sure how long the (not-so-old) beast will last. I'll try to have my turn up by tonight, though.

I seem to be losing a significantly unusual number of cavalry and artillery attacking Barbarians under (what in a standard Civ2) would be close to ideal conditions to attack under, but you guys seem to be cutting huge swaths through these Barbarians, except at event trigger points (like the Native American massacres of American frontier towns and the Peking Uprisng, which have thus far been reported). What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• JapanGermany1870sep.7z
    66.4 KB · Views: 107
In the case of Russia we have a large starting number of Cavalry and Cannon and a lot of the Barbarians have been fairly easily defeated. I did notice that conquering Peking seemed a lot tougher. I can't remember what units were defending that city, but it might be worth checking the defence stats of Chinese type units. In Central Asia I have mostly been attacking Cavalry type units, which I presume have lower defence stats. I'm not in the game right now to check any of this out, but it seems logical.

I hate to do this, given this has been your task of late.

@voltar, you're next.

:p

Oops! Didn't get an e-mail or whatnot, good thing I randomly checked the forum today :) Sorry!
As for combat performance, the USA Cavalry unit is amazing at the early stage, he has no problem killing fortified militia

USA

Panama has been captured! Commerce may proceed!

Furthermore I used cheatmode to complete an agreed upon financial transaction. All I did is deduct and add money so hopefully nothing got screwey. Only difference I saw was that when I reloaded into hotseat I got that message like I'm starting a new game with the techs I got and whatnot.

Attachments

• USA1870sept.7z
    64.8 KB · Views: 104
Whose next?

Boy did this get out of hand. My supervisor at University gave me the chewout of a lifetime about two weeks ago. All my energy since has gone into just trying to stay afloat! I hope to play tomorrow.

@voltar, you forgot to use Ctrl + J to rejoin the other civs after using cheat mode! I had to go through all of the AI turns and your full building cue before I could reload and rejoin all!

@Patine, I lose an average of one cannon per siege. According to the defense minister list I have lost thirteen cannon, and if I recall correctly I have taken 7 or 8 cities. I should note I have used the Highlander unit whenever I could (twice, that is), since the Scots ignore city walls! I believe they are my only currently available unit to do so.

All the cities I have laid siege to had only a single unit defending, unless I count the event scripted rebellion in Egypt. I believe a veteran cannon unit should be ablo to break most defenders without loss. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out, though.

I have nothing much to report from this turn.

Attachments

• Britain1870Sept.rar
    79.8 KB · Views: 110
@voltar, you forgot to use Ctrl + J to rejoin the other civs after using cheat mode! I had to go through all of the AI turns and your full building cue before I could reload and rejoin all!

LOL! Oops, didn't know anything about that TBH! Does this impact anyone ?

RUSSIAN EMPIRE - October 1870
Uprisings in Afghanistan and the Balkans
I've been a tad busy the last couple days. I will try to play tomorrow, though.

I want to apologize, but my turn may be delayed a bit longer. I think my computer has malware of the sort my anti-virus can't find. I may have to do a full restore to factory settings.

@Patine
Over 2 weeks now
Yes, and it's been a hectic two weeks. My computer I was on is verifiably dead. I've reverted to an older back-up computer. I just have to get ToT, the ToTPP, and all the scenarios and goodies of my own and from the web assembled, and make sure I remember how to run it on Windows 10. Ideally, it should only be a few more days (knock on my fake wood desk).

Alright, having some of the same problems of running ToT on Window 10 that I had fixed on the computer that just died but need to be addressed on this backup computer. I'm going to look over the tech advice on this and the Tech Supports sub-forums and get the game back and running as soon. Just giving a heads so everyone knows I haven't forgotten.

Any news on getting ToT working Pat? This is how PBEMs die.
I'm having trouble re-enabling Direct Play on Windows 10. It seems they've changed how it works in Windows itself, probably with an update. When I go to "Apps and Programs," and enter in the search "Turn on and off Windows Programs," the procedure in the thread in the Civ2 Tech Support Sub-Forum is stated as giving a menu that includes the "Legacy Programs" that you need to click on, and I recall that being the case earlier, but now it just outright opens by hard-drive menu in the same format as if I were browsing it in File Explorer normally.

Last edited:
Okay, this is ridiculous! I have re-enabled Direct Play, installed the ToTPP as instructed, and the file mentioned as not being found in the error message when I try to open ToT, "MSVCR100.dll" I have both repaired and reinstalled directly from Microsoft.com. All to no avail! I give up! I don't what to do now!

Top Bottom