Import Civ4 Maps to Civ5, In-game Mod Browser, and Civ5 SDK

There are fan made (and crappy official) conversion tools for Paradox games. They've managed to navigate around such problems as hundreds of provinces different sized maps, weird borders, uncompatible and missing countries, units, tech levels, governments, treasury and resource/industry system.

They convert the world situation from one game to another fairly good. The main problem is because the games are so different from each other the balance is out of question and because the AI is script-based and constructed around the scenarios and events it's practically brain dead.

again nmo one answering how the modding of civs and leaderheads will be done

Again the Eurogamer interview.

Eurogamer: I guess what I'm asking is, will I be able to make a sitcom where Gandhi lives with Washington?

Jon Shafer: We're still finalising the plans about what we'll be releasing. But the art stuff is a little tricky, because of the complexity of what goes on there.

Dennis Shirk: People will be able to retexture the leaders, because that kind of thing is a lot easier, but when it comes to creating new animations, that's a little trickier.

Eurogamer: I'll take that as a no.

Thats the downsied of shiny animations...
Redecorating the room and giving the leaders another look will be hard enough. But creating new ones? Even possible without the right tools or being a professional?
Will miss the variety of leaders from Civ 4.

Well a conversion tool^^ at least they try hard.

yeah that'll be sad:( it'll be nice if they could create a system like how you get int he FPS and Role Playing games when you create the look for your character in an easy to use interface, with set presets (clothes) and just the facial and skin tone etc can change. That'll be awesome if it can be done but guess it asking for to much. E.G of what i mean Mass Effect; Sims3; etc but guess have to wait for the release to see what they got instore:D

Agreed, an easy-to-use leader customization system would be really awesome. I have near-zero modding ability, so a system like that would really help me a lot.

I've been trying to get an idea at what moding features will be included in the new Civ5 and I think that Jon Schaefer and the others have been doing a bit of a public relations tap dance.

My personal feeling is that we will be quite surprized at how little of anything from CivIV can be used in Civ5. (How much of CivIII could we make use of in CivIV?) Civ5 has a new code (Lua) and engine. As a result it is quite likely to use a different format for 3d objects and animations not to mention a great many other things. I made the mistake myself of reading too deeply into the press releases and I've come to the realization that they are just hype.

Top Bottom