Impossible to launch Civ

All of a sudden starting today the game won't start. Tried to verify game cache but didn't help. Tried to reinstall but didn't help. Tried to delete all Civ V files from the computer and then reinstaling. After this I have noticed that the game folder is now gone and won't get reinstalled. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

My friend and I have the same problem. According to steam we have the latest update....

I have updated my Civ 5 version, and now i cant launch.

So this is due to the micro patch of today....

I thought it was just me... I tried several ways to start (launching from disc, launching from steam, launching from folder...) no luck.

I loaded the update six hours ago but have been unable to launch civ V in the past half hour.

After the Steam update installed, I too have this problem. The game hangs at Steam's "Preparing to launch" window. I verified the cache and it re-downloaded 1 file, but still won't get past this point.

The most irritating part of this is I have the boxed version of the game.

Same thing for me, CiV won't launch and it's not the only game, Counter-strike source will not launch either so it's something wrong with steam and the last steam update. Hopefully they'll fix it quickly and to noone's surprise, steam support forums isn't working atm either...

I just checked my other Steam games and the only one I could get to launch was Sword of the Stars 2. I also tried checking Steam's forums and support page, neither of them would load. So i suspect Steam's servers are down.

I had the same problem, but I tried to open Steam in offline-mode, and then I could play Civ V offline.

same problem in France :(
steam update blocked yesterday night, I had to exit it to shut down the computer and now the game cannot be started ay more.

I seem to recall the update made a mention of Korean language - Maybe we need to adjust the word launch to the Korean language!

Yes me too. I verified the integrity and now it's stuck at installing steam.

Wonders what the legal position is...

After all, we have Steam to verify our games, as part of the game which we have paid for. Steam then, by having a server down (or whatever), prevents us from playing the game we have paid for...

I remember it was often slow Christmas week when it was busy too.

I understand it isn't their fault when a server goes down, but haven't they heard of having enough servers to cope if something like that happens? If it was anything to do with the update (which it might be), it should have been properly tested before release!

Normally I'm a Steam fan (despite being against it at first), as I think it is probably the least evil of the anti-pirate brigade/fixes, but Steam should never stop me from playing a game I've paid for through lack of hardware and/or buggy updates. I think they have an obligation to supply service to us, the players, who are, after all, their customers.

Top Bottom