Improvement Balancing

I've settled on Orchard as the new improvement for +food on Forest tiles. So as not to eclipse Farms, I'm adjusting the yield curve a little.

Base yield for Orchard will be +1 food, -1 production. So chopping a Forest to get a Farm, or building an Orchard, should give a near-equal yield.

Bonus yields lose 1 point of food, but gain back 1 point of production.
  • Apple: +1 food, +1 production (net +2/+0/+0)
  • Lemon: +1 production, +1 commerce (net +1/+0/+1)
  • Olive: +1 production, +2 commerce (net +1/+0/+2)
Then the tech improvement curve is changed a little:
  • +1 commerce with Currency (unchanged)
  • +1 production with Invention -- this replaces +1 commerce from Crop Rotation
  • +1 food with Organic Chemistry (unchanged)
  • +1 commerce with Globalization (unchanged)
  • +1 commerce with Genetics -- this replaces +1 food from Genetics, and ensures not losing food in the upgrade to Hybrid Forest
I can also give Orchards a chance to discover Apple/Lemon/Olives. Would any other resource be appropriate? There are several other resources that don't have a chance to be spawned by an improvement, but only Forest resources would be valid.

I was just wondering about that, and it looks like you didn't make that change into the code (or it disappeared sometime after). I think that this would be a good idea, especially since all the mineral resources have their chance at being discovered under a mine. If they're going to be discoverable, everything else should be, too. Right now, all of the pasture resources (Cattle, Pig, Sheep, and Horses), plus Deer and Ivory, aren't discoverable. I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to do the camp what was done to the orchard and have it be a general forest improvement. I'm not entirely sure what yields to give (perhaps +2 Commerce, to make it equal to a Cottage, but with the upgrading to Hamlet and whatnot replaced with the chance of discovering those resources?), but I think that it would be a good step.

EDIT: I went with +1 Commerce in my file, since I thought +2 would make it stronger than a Woodcutter or Orchard

Last edited:
I'd forgotten Fur on the list of non-discoverables, and also the Sea Resources (Fish, etc.), though I'm not sure how to handle those. I know Chronicles does something, but I've personally never played with it.

I'm going to mod in the Camp change, myself, and try it on my own personal copy. I can give impressions if you want

Top Bottom