Industrial Unit Graphics

Maltese legion in French Napoleonic service 1798-1799.
Coptic legion, Egyptian Christians in French Napoleonic service 1799-1801?
Greek Legion in French Napoleonic service 1798-1801 in Egypt up to the siege of Alexandria. Later reformed into the Chasseurs d' Orient 1802-1814, again under Nick Papazoglou. From 1802 to 1805 they were stationed in Marseilles and Toulon. A contigent were prsesent in Trafalgar. In 1806 they fought in Dalmatia (Ragusa/ Dubrovnik) against the Russian Greek legion ( officialy the Light Jäger Foot Legion- the Russians were in command of the Ionian islands at the time) and Kotor among others. In 1809 the Ionian islands went under French control and they were stationed in Corfu. In 1813 the 100-ish remaining soldiers retreated to Ancona, now led by one Gabriel Sidarios, amalgamated with the remaining Coptic legion and adopted the second uniform. They fought the Nepolitans, and through Turin they ended up in Lyon 1814 where they disbanded.

Those that didnt follow him to Marseilles were later recruited in Alexandria by the American consul William Eaton for the 1805 US campaign against the pasha of Tripoli (1st Barbary war). Shown here in typical Aegean Islander/ Asia minor coast Greek costume (top set, last figure).

Attachments

• Tanelorn Napoleonic Maltese Coptic and Greek legion 1798 1801.png
    Tanelorn Napoleonic Maltese Coptic and Greek legion 1798 1801.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 697
  • Tanelorn Napoleonic Chasseurs d Orient.png
    Tanelorn Napoleonic Chasseurs d Orient.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:

The Duke of York’s Greek Light Infantry (1812-1816) 1st regiment, yellow piping @ Corfu, est.1812 2nd regiment, green piping @ Kephalonia est. 1813. Theodoros' Kolokotronis unit. Formed from Greek and Albanian irregular units fighting on the British side against similar irregular French led units (Chasseurs a pied Grecs/ Regiment Albanais) at the Ionian isles between 1809-1813. Fought in Zakynthos 1809, Lefkada 1810 and notably in Parga in 1813 against the aforementioned the Chasseurs d' Orient led by Papazoglou. In the proccess they were joined by the remains of the Russian and French formations and disbanded after the fall of Napoleon.

Attachments

• Tanelorn The Duke of York’s Greek Light Infantry Rgt I and II.png
    Tanelorn The Duke of York’s Greek Light Infantry Rgt I and II.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:

More Septinsular regiments.
Row1, figure 1: After the 1800 treaty of Constantinople, the Russians established a protectorate over the Ionian islands. After the fall of Souli to Ali Pasha of Ioanina, the Russians formed the 2.760 men strong Russian Greek legion of irregulars ( officialy the Light Jäger Foot Legion) under Emmanuel Papadopoulos, from the Souliote refugees and western Greeks in general (Epirote, Aetolian/ Acarnanian) as well as some Moreans and Maniots. In 1805 they campaigned in southern Italy against the French. In 1806 they besieged Dubrovnik, as mentioned above. In the 1806 Russo-Turkish war they attempted to capture Tenedos, opposite the Dardanelles. In 1807 they successfully defended the Agia Mavra fortress in Lefkada against a joined Franco-Turkish (Ali-Pasha's) force but the isles were ceded to France by the 1807 treaty of Tilsit.
Figure 2: The French subsequently enlisted 160 officers and 2,934 former legionaires into the Régiment Albanais and 951 men into the Chasseurs à Pied Grecs. In 1809 the two formations merged.
Row 2, figure 1: The Bataillon Septinsulaire was raised on 13 September 1807 from troops of the old Venetian possessions in Dalmatia, providing local defence on the island of Corfu. It included some native Ionian Greeks (as unlike 1797, the second French occupation was generally unpopular) but also Italians, Neapolitans, Dalmatians, and even Austrian prisoners. The battalion was disbanded in 1812, its remains formed the Sapeurs Ioniens.
Row 2, figure 2: The Pandours de Dalmatie formed on 17 March 1810 of 9 companies, each of either 36 or 48 Croat pandours.
French units included the Chasseurs à Cheval Ioniens later incorporated into the 6th Lancers in Lyon (1814), the Artillerie Septinsulaire and the Sapeurs Ioniens also disbanded in 1814 all in regular French uniforms, (see Fairline's Napoleonic French).
Row 1, figure 3: During the Adriatic campaign of 1807–1814 the British promising to restore the Ionian Islands' liberty and independence quickly occupied Zakynthos, Cephalonia, Ithaca and Kythera in 1809. In 1810 Theodoros' Kolokotronis Greek auxiliaries (pictured) and Irish major Richard Church took Lefkada. At the same time, Paxoi evicted the French garisson but the uprising was supressed. In 1812 they got the uniforms in the previous post. Finally, Paxoi were occupied by the British in 1813, followed by Parga in 1814 after a popular uprising evicted the French. The Brits then sold Parga to Ali Pasha in 1819. Corfu held out until the first downfall of Napoleon.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Septinsular Regiments.png
    Tanelorn Septinsular Regiments.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
( officialy the Light Jäger Foot Legion)
Were there mounted Jagers by contrast? I don't believe I've ever seen reference to any. To my knowledge, a Jager is a Central or Eastern European answer to the Alpine Infantry unit from the Vanilla Civ2 game.

Were there mounted Jagers by contrast? I don't believe I've ever seen reference to any. To my knowledge, a Jager is a Central or Eastern European answer to the Alpine Infantry unit from the Vanilla Civ2 game.
No idea, actual Russian sources just say Greek Legion (they actually reformed and fought in the 1853 Crimean war as volunteers).
The Irish Legion/ Legion Irlandaise (3eme Etrangere) 1803- 1815:

The Irish Legion (French: Légion irlandaise) was a light infantry regiment in service of the French Imperial Army established in 1803 for an anticipated invasion of Ireland.They were active in Spain between 1809-11, Germany and Poland in 1813 and Antwerp in 1814. The Legion was the only group of foreign soldiers in the French military to whom Napoleon ever gave an eagle.Its maximum size was about 2,000 men.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Irish Legion 1803-1815.png
    Tanelorn Irish Legion 1803-1815.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 629
Taking a break from modern stuff, here is a second try on the Russo-Turkish War of 1877 Russians. It is the time between the abolishment of the furashka forage cap after the Crimean war in favour of the much resented French kepi, under Alexander II and its readoption in the 1880s under Alexander III.
Evidently, many units retained their furashkas, against regulations.

Also, uhlans and hussars in Russian service performed so badly in this war that they were replaced by dragoons for a generation...

The Great Game guys are distinguishable by their red chambars (chamois leather trousers). No such things in the Balkans.
@CurtSibling A bit old, needs a redo.

1826 Reformed Ottoman Nizam-i-cedid, formed after the abolishment of Janissaries (June 1826) by Mahmud II. By the outbreak of the hostilities with Russia in 1828, 33 line infantry regiments could in theory be called up. The guardsman wears a red Bostanci cap with yellow stripes, a red jacket and dark blue trousers. The line soldier has a yellow-striped dark blue tarboosh (fez), a dark blue jacket bearing a white crescent on the chest, and dark blue trousers; both men wear black half-boots and cary 1777 French muskets. The 1st and 2nd lancer Sqns of the Guard cavalry wore a red uniform; the 3rd Sqn had dark green jackets with red frogging, and dark blue trousers with red embroidery and carried carbines instead.

Attachments

• Tanelorn More Ottomans.png
    Tanelorn More Ottomans.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 443

The first cavalry unit of the new Nizamis were the Silistra regiment, formed by about 5000 Zaporizhia Cossacks from the Danube delta (the Danubian Sich), where they were chased off by Potemkin, during Catherine the Great's reign. Their numbers eventualy grew to 10000 horsemen in Ottoman service against the Greek uprising. They fought under Osyp Hladky (made a pasha by the sultan? I don't really trust my source, Μηχανή του χρόνου usually makes up sensational ςηιτ), in the battle of Sculeni, Moldavia and the third siege of Missolonghi. Departing, many were lost at sea after the siege, attacked by Miaoulis. In 1928 their uniform switched from light green to light blue and they were renamed as the Sesiasker regiment. I assume the same for their Bostanci (gardener) hat*. In 1829 their recruitment area was taken over by Russia during the 9th Russo-Turkish war and they switched allegiance to the Tzar, massacring the Turks in turn.
*Alternate red hat and cuffs:

Attachments

• Tanelorn Silistra Cossacks.png
    Tanelorn Silistra Cossacks.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Tanelorn Silistra Cossacks2.png
    Tanelorn Silistra Cossacks2.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

1868-1869 Boshin War infantry and cavalry.
The last Samurai. Muskets and Katanas.
The Tokugawa Shogunate vs the Meiji restoration imperial Japanese.
Domain troops belong to the Daimyo.

And some artillery

Attachments

• Tanelorn Boshin War 1868.png
    Tanelorn Boshin War 1868.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 248
  • Tanelorn Boshin War 1868 arty.png
    Tanelorn Boshin War 1868 arty.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
@Nightgoblin I had a difficult day at work and then you sent all these likes at once. I needed that, thank you man.

The Imperial Japanese army used Gatling guns against the rebels during the Satsuma rebellion, Sept-Jan.1877. I dont know if they had them earlier.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Meiji Gatling.png
    Tanelorn Meiji Gatling.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Various WW1-Russian civil war stuff.
Great units, but a minor issue....Cavalry wouldn't be wearing the blue hat band, that would have been reserved for the infantry. The US Army Infantry branch likes to joke about:
"Why is the sky blue? Because God loves the Infantry!"

Top Bottom