Infinite Loading On The AI's Turn (SOLVED)

Stew Pid

Warlord
As some of you may know or not, I was working on a scenario that had an issue of infinitely loading on the AI's turn no matter what Civ they were or how many were involved. I had been struggling with this issue for over a year, asking for help from various civ veterans and modders alike but to no avail. Until recently......

A lot of the advice people gave was to make sure a unit didn't have the immobile flag that the AI was trying to move it, or to check if there isn't a unit with improper graphics, etc, but the bug itself wasn't what I or many people thought it to be.....

Using Quintillus's editor to solve a phantom resource bug the scenario also had, I was able to spot an issue with one of the units thanks to how exhibitive the editor was. A unit in the mod had an upgrading issue where it would upgrade into itself. Apparently, fixing the issue has resolved the infinite loading bug within the scenario.

So here I am sharing my experience with the community in hopes that other modders and civ fans can avoid this troublesome dilemma when making content of their own.

-Stew Pid

I saw your DM and thought, "Well, there's not a lot I can do without Civ3's source code, but I know some similar issues have been identified by forum members based on their own past experience, let's see if Stew has already opened a thread before I suggest that," - I'm glad to see you did, and that it's already solved. The infinite upgrade loop is the only one I have memorized off the top of my head, but I didn't expect that to be the issue, as I'd been thinking it would affect scenario right away... perhaps because I tend to test for it by making a very early unit upgradeable, which triggers it right away.

Anyway, glad you found it, and glad to hear adding that check is helping identify and fix additional cases of that upgrade loop.

A bit curious as too how it even happened since the editor on't let you upgrade a unit into itself directly.

Also, feels great to solve a longtime error!

Top Bottom