Inflation in need of massive overhaul

Joij21

🔥Hail Satan!🔥
Inflation in the game as of now is nothing more than a nuisance that increases over time. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it. It's caused by the difficulty your playing on multiplied by the game turn offset which is very impractical and unrealistic. It feels forced and artificial on the player and serves no purpose other than to slow down your progress in the later eras. This mechanic is desperately in need of an overhaul if not needs to be removed entirely. Maybe certain civics or buildings could increase or decrease the inflation rate. There could also be a currency system where one could adopt different types of currency that effect your governments ability to print or mint more cash into circulation. Passive inflation or deflation would be tied into the amount of cash in circulation relative to the total GNP of your economy. Maybe valuation of your currency could then effect exchange rates of currency via diplomacy so that if your currency is undervalued you would have to pay more to another civ for your cash to be of the same value as their's. Your normal GNP could also expand passively each turn to produce extra GNP based on the percentage that is not taxed. A new slider called economic growth would be available from the beginning and would take your GNP points and add .25 GNP for every GNP you have. Random events like depressions could take GNP away from you each turn producing negative GNP. Currency would be a limited resource just like in real life and because there would be a limited amount in circulation you would be able to tax all of it out of the system if there is not enough of it. Money in your treasury can go back into your economies private circulation by spending it on maintenance costs, upgrades, roads, unit upkeep, upgrades, the espionage slider, the research slider, and the culture slider. Money goes into your treasury out from circulation by taxation(the wealth slider), converting production to wealth, selling loot from capturing cities and pillaging, and selling foreign currency. However these are methods of gaining preexisting currency. As your GNP expands you'll need to create new money. You can only create new money in limited amounts per turn based on what type of currency you have(if you have gold currency then you'll only be able to mint 6 coins per turn for each gold resource you own where a fiat currency would allow you to borrow an unlimited amount from a central bank so long as you can pay them back plus interest after a certain amount of turns.). Newly created cash goes directly into your treasury so you can then spend it into circulation. If there is less cash in circulation than GNP then it will trigger deflation where for each GNP point that does not have one unit of currency in circulation it will cause a .01% decrease in the cost of everything you can spend money on, +.01 dissent in all cities, and -.5 GNP growth per turn. If there is more cash in circulation than GNP then it will trigger inflation where for each extra unit of currency that goes over the total GNP it will cause a .01% increase in the cost of everything you can spend money on, and +.01 dissent in all cities.

Inflation isn't a very fun mechanic but it's needed for balance and it's relatively simple in its design. If we were to remove it, we'd have to replace it with something else that achieved a similar effect that didn't add unnecessary complexity. Your currency idea is interesting, but there's no way I can code that. sorry.

I've changed my mind. Working on the Financial Advisor has revealed a number of discrepancies with inflation. At the moment in 1.24, it's different if you're playing on Mac than it is if you're playing in Windows. And UI display isn't accurate on either. This will be messy to fix – so I'm not going to. I'm going to scrap inflation entirely. I won't replace it with a new mechanic though, I'll just make adjustments to other forms of upkeep and maintenance instead. Might take a few iterations to get the balance right, but I think this is the better way to go.

Top Bottom