1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Informational Poll: Democratic Oligarchy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Octavian X, Oct 6, 2003.

?

Would you support the proposal?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2003.
  1. Yes!

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No!

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. With some changes (please state)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Does it? Now the people can remove a leader from office at any time and much faster than we can now. Therefor the leaders will have to listen to the people. And besides, we are a team here, and there are few or none hostile disagreements. I don't see any reason to be afraid that power will be removed from the people.

2. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Hmm... true. I thin kyou got me persuaded to change my thinking...

3. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Now it is acctualy 6 to 4 in support of this proposal. Please tell me what you do not like about it, so we can discuss and eventualy change it, so we can get this revolution over with!

4. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

well four things...

1) I think the save should be given to dedicated people to this game not just the administrators.

2) Question: Say the adminstrator of External Affairs wants to have someone in charge of the Department of Treaties and Alliances. Would the Head of the T&A Department be able to be an ambassador of one or more civilization? With limited people resources, this sort of thing might have to be done.

3) Is it the soley the adminstrator's decision to have a trade Dept, T&A Dept, ambassadors, etc...? decided by citizens? By only the first External Administrator?

4) I don't like the name 'administrator of blah blah.' Can't we just use 'minister?'

5. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

1) Then a list of dedicated players who should get the save and follow instructions sounds good to me. And as I see it both ordinary members and administrators can be on the list and play the save. The important thing is that we can play this game more efficiently.

2) I see no reason why a member of the Council of External Policy couldn't hold such a position and be ambassador. The whole point of this proposal is to minimize the number of people we need, while still allowing more people to join.

3) As I figured it, it is soley the administrators' decision how he want to take care of his responsibilities. If he want to have some departments etc, he makes them. The next administrator can of course change this again. And I am confident that the administrators will follow the will of the people, cause the people will have a powerfull way to get rid of an administrator.

4) Hm. I don't like the title of 'minister' that much, but no titles are final. If it is the general feeling that 'minister' is better I will agree that we should change them.

So what do you think now?

6. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I'm actually converted into a ogligarchy-supporter, but only if the citizens have the power still...

7. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

We might just have enough participants to suport a ogligarchy, if everybody is an admin. ;)

8. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

I believe the power of the people are taken very well care of by two reasons:

1) It is extremly easy to start the process of removing an administrator, and changes of this kind should go quite quickly.

2) This is a game, we are a team, and frankly, I for one do not believe those who are elected as administrators will hijack the game at any time. We are friends here and as far as I remember we have a history (both in the MSDG and the normal demogame) of coorporation and that the leaders follow the will of the people as best as they can.

If you want to hear one theoretical problem with this proposal, I got one here. The Administrator of Internal Control is supposed to have the list of how many active members we have. By changing this he could render the ability to remove an adminstrator unworkable (since it depends on a majority of the members to vote).

Anyway, that is just a theoretical problem. I seriously doubt we will ever have to remove an administrator because he is trying to hijack the game.

9. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Yeah, but it's good to be the possibility. ;)

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I think we should hold elections more regularly so we don't have to regularly vote to boot someone out of office.

And I don't like the names Admin or Minister.

11. Zarn

I agree with that as well. Elections are too far spaced apart.

12. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Well I was thinking that we didn't need elections and could only remove a leader when we felt for it, but im ok with regular elections too.

13. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Why is a term 45 turns? Why not 40 or 50?

14. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Perhaps we could make a term 30 turns long

15. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Fine with me, though I don't even think we need a thing like terms.

What do others feel?

16. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Oh, I've come up with some new title instead of Administrator or Minister.
    What do people feel about Executor or Judiciary?

17. Zarn

How about the Chief Executive, Director of External Policy, and Commander of the armed forces? These people will also be known as council leaders. :p

Of course, we should still have a Chief Justice.

I would put a separate poll up. In that poll ask if someone wants this one, your modifications, their own changes, keep things the way they are, or abstain.

18. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

it seems the first people to vote are against these things, but as the lurkers appear our votes becomes more pro gov't

19. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Ok. Starting to compile a new thread :)

20. Zarn

I think I was the 6th yes. I didn't vote right away.