Installation issues

MqrT81

Chieftain
Hello,

Thanks for all the work you put in the mod! I couldn't play without it anymore!

I cannot seem to get the 4.0.1 to run. It ran once, where upon it goes straight back to desktop from the moment the mod is loaded.

One of the issues I had before was that I could never get the desktop shortcut to work as per original installation instructions (and still cant):
"Use a Steam desktop icon to open "We The People". Generate the icon by right-clicking the game, going to "Manage" and then "Add Desktop Shortcut". Once you see the icon, right-click it, go to "Properties" and change the URL to steam://rungameid/16810/Mod="WeThePeople-3.0.1" or whatever release of the mod you're currently using."

Is this still required?
In 3.0.x the mod seemed to run just fine for me by loading it from within the vanilla version...

Can I get some guidance with getting the mod to run?

thanks in advance!
M

Hello,

Thanks for all the work you put in the mod! I couldn't play without it anymore!

I cannot seem to get the 4.0.1 to run. It ran once, where upon it goes straight back to desktop from the moment the mod is loaded.

One of the issues I had before was that I could never get the desktop shortcut to work as per original installation instructions (and still cant):
"Use a Steam desktop icon to open "We The People". Generate the icon by right-clicking the game, going to "Manage" and then "Add Desktop Shortcut". Once you see the icon, right-click it, go to "Properties" and change the URL to steam://rungameid/16810/Mod="WeThePeople-3.0.1" or whatever release of the mod you're currently using."

Is this still required?
In 3.0.x the mod seemed to run just fine for me by loading it from within the vanilla version...

Can I get some guidance with getting the mod to run?

thanks in advance!
M
The 'specify a mod folder' option in the Civilization.ini file always works for me when other methods fail

Thanx for your return.

In the file on top, changing the 'specify a mod folder' from 0 to the name of the mod folder solved that issue.

1681241906990.png

Sadly I am stuck with the same issue as before where the mod is loading (directly now) but goes back desktop as soon as it finishes loading.

Anybody?

Did you accidently edit the BAK file ? (Backup file)
Or did you correctly edit "CivilizationIV" ?(Configuration Settings)

Just because I am really wondering why you show us the BAK file in your screenshot? :confused:
(BAK files are "backups" that are just there to restore the file in case you messed up by renaming the file extension.)

Also why not show a screenshot from inside the file?
(So we can see what you actually wrote there.)

New feature: starting the mod now sets the mod to be loaded by default at startup

At startup, the DLL now writes the mod name into CivilizationIV.ini
This will make Colonization load the same mod without having to mess with arguments, shortcuts or similar.
My newest change to the development version. Starting with the next release of We The People, all you have to do is start Colonization, set it to load We The People from the ingame menu and from then on whenever you start Colonization, it will load We The People directly. No extra setup needed.

The system with shortcuts, which sets the mod name still works so it's not like this will ban other mods from starting using shortcuts.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the help.
Did you accidently edit the BAK file ? (Backup file)
Or did you correctly edit "CivilizationIV" ?(Configuration Settings)

Just because I am really wondering why you show us the BAK file in your screenshot? :confused:
(BAK files are "backups" that are just there to restore the file in case you messed up by renaming the file extension.)
I should have know that :hammer2:

I Put the specify mod all back to "0" so I can start vanilla again. Loading the mod from inside vanilla still kicks me back to desktop though...

the printscreen from the INI file herewith...
(The INI file from "Documents\my games\civilization IV Colonization, correct?)

1681245551565.png

I’m to the step listed in the readme doc from GitHub and I’ve tried finding the folder or path to load the new DLLs into which should be the ones with .exe files but I can’t find which specific one that is. Could someone please narrow it down to the exact end location for the new libraries? Thanks for all your dedication and sorry about my ignorance on the matter, you guys do great work for the community. Hope to help in my own way when my skills catch up

I’m to the step listed in the readme doc from GitHub and I’ve tried finding the folder or path to load the new DLLs into which should be the ones with .exe files but I can’t find which specific one that is. Could someone please narrow it down to the exact end location for the new libraries? Thanks for all your dedication and sorry about my ignorance on the matter, you guys do great work for the community. Hope to help in my own way when my skills catch up
On my computer it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization since I bought the game on steam.

So you copy the two files inside the folder named "Copy to Colonization.exe" (they are named "tbb.dll" and "tbbmalloc.dll") and paste them in the folder 3 steps back from that address location that contains the application file named "Colonization.exe" (with the wavy American flag icon logo and the word civ scribbled beneath)... assuming you already created a folder named "mods" in that same location and extracted the WeThePeople zip file into it

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

So, I figured out there where still some parts of older installations of the base game on my PC (also some caches). Deleted those seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for the help.

Keep up the good work!

I know this is a lot to ask so maybe it could be passed down to a community member who's succeeded but if someone could do a full screen capture of their process and put it on youtube all the way through that might be the simplest for all of us muggles. Props to the guy at Cueball Games on youtube who did the one for 2.7, the layers of detail and the visual interaction was amazingly helpful.
On my computer it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Civilization IV Colonization since I bought the game on steam.

So you copy the two files inside the folder named "Copy to Colonization.exe" (they are named "tbb.dll" and "tbbmalloc.dll") and paste them in the folder 3 steps back from that address location that contains the application file named "Colonization.exe" (with the wavy American flag icon logo and the word civ scribbled beneath)... assuming you already created a folder named "mods" in that same location and extracted the WeThePeople zip file into it
That worked like a charm, thanks for your guidance

Starting with the just released 4.0.2, this can be done by simply double clicking the new setup file. It does what this post explains by just double clicking it. The setup file is however not needed for those who already did this manually.

Top Bottom