Installing a mod

BJ Joey

Chieftain
I am trying to install a new mod into my Caveman to Cosmos game (the No Latitude or Longitude mod).

The file for the mod is called Assets, but there is already a file called assets within the Caveman to Cosmos file. I tried putting the new assets file into a new folder called New Folder, but the new mod was still not active. Where should I put the new mod file so that it will become active the next time I play?

It needs to go in Assets. It will overwrite some of the files that are already there, and that is how it makes the changes to the mod.

Mods in Civilization DON'T work in a parallel manner. You must COMBINE them via OVERWRITING - so you can always only use what would be called "a Mod Patch" in other engines.
Which also means that you CAN'T play two contradictory mods at the same time - since it'd inevitably cause crashes and similar errors due to incompatibility between the sub-mods.
You still CAN combine a "unit" mod with a "terrain" mod, if both don't edit anything beyond those specific categories AND ALSO don't alter any vanilla files OR have any overlapping files.
OR uses Python/DLL stuff, because then it's 200% sure to crash due to incompatibility.
But most mods are "total conversions" more often than not, so it's a rare case to be able to play both at once - UNLESS someone puts a ton of "patching" work into making it possible.

To be honest I'm not sure what the first assets folder is for. I am pretty sure that I have not installed a previous mod to C2C.

I will move the original assets folder somewhere else and just have the one new mod and see if that works and hope that the original assets folder was not for anything important.

I will move the original assets folder somewhere else and just have the one new mod and see if that works and hope that the original assets folder was not for anything important.
Dude, you aren't reading correctly.
Adding a (mod)mod "on top of the first one" MUST be done via overwriting, and without removing ANY pre-existing files.
But this only works if the two (mod)mods are mutually compatible to begin with (C2C modmods are obviously compatible with the main C2C, but not with other "full" mods, for example).

Ok. Sorry. I'm trying to make sense of it, I figure things out when I need to, but I'm not an expert with computers. Sorry.

If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry, what is the "overwriting" process? Is it complicated? If so, I may have to manage without this new mod.

Ok. Sorry. I'm trying to make sense of it, I figure things out when I need to, but I'm not an expert with computers. Sorry.

If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry, what is the "overwriting" process? Is it complicated? If so, I may have to manage without this new mod.
Too many unnecessary sorrys, lol, but are you serious about not knowing how to overwrite files?
Or is English not your main language maybe?
Anyways: You have the main mod installed somewhere, then you copy the modmod that you want to overwrite on top of it, and then you paste the files by replacing the old ones.
This is literally how you overwrite files in general, dude.

The first Assets folder is an integral part of the Caveman2Cosmos mod. It contains the majority of the files that make the mod function.

That includes the XML files that define building and unit restrictions based on latitude and longitude. In order to change or remove those restrictions, you need to change those files.

The modmod in question does this by providing new files that include those changes, conveniently nested in folders that will place them exactly where they need to be to work.

So extract the Assets folder from the modmod and paste it in the Caveman2Cosmos folder. When it asks what to do with files that share the same names, choose to replace them with the new ones.

That's it. And then it'll work.

The first Assets folder is an integral part of the Caveman2Cosmos mod. It contains the majority of the files that make the mod function.

That includes the XML files that define building and unit restrictions based on latitude and longitude. In order to change or remove those restrictions, you need to change those files.

The modmod in question does this by providing new files that include those changes, conveniently nested in folders that will place them exactly where they need to be to work.

So extract the Assets folder from the modmod and paste it in the Caveman2Cosmos folder. When it asks what to do with files that share the same names, choose to replace them with the new ones.

That's it. And then it'll work.
Your exquisite use of chatGPT makes it perfect opportunity to piss off scammers, spammers and other lollygaggers.
Why not make excellent youtube channel, where you use five times more words than need just to waste precious time of spammers and scammers :D
Also pretending to be terminally incompetent also would make it more fun for both parties involved.

Jokes aside it sounds like you have no problem of meeting minimum word count.

Top Bottom